Too many updates

oopsee

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Seems like every few days I get a list of apps needing updating even if they were just updated recently. I find it hard to believe developers are updating apps that frequently and wonder if the updates are serving a different purpose. Maybe they just want to know you're still a user of the app and aren't really updating for any purpose.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You really need to have more faith in active developers adding features and squashing bugs (especially if you're in beta programs). Granted, most of the time the bugs being squashed might not pertain to your phone precisely (one of the disadvantages of Android is to have so many different OS tweaks and hardware models to impact debugging), but you'd still receive the update.

And just as well there are pretty much abandoned apps that haven't been updated in months or years. But the most popular apps usually do update a lot... some, like Whatsapp or Facebook, once a week or more, even!

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Seems like every few days I get a list of apps needing updating even if they were just updated recently. I find it hard to believe developers are updating apps that frequently and wonder if the updates are serving a different purpose. Maybe they just want to know you're still a user of the app and aren't really updating for any purpose.

Frequent releases, often multiple times in a day, can be an indication of insufficient testing due to laziness or ineptitude, though it can be very difficult supporting software that must run on thousands of permutations of hundreds of device models running dozens of operating system versions and patch levels, on dozens of carriers. I expect many Android app developers only test on an Android development tool and then on the few devices they personally have access to, then release and wait for complaints.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

In all likelyhood you needn't be too concerned, but given the ugly mess Google Play is [getting better I'll admit] I don't question your concern at all. Before you download any app, do a little research on the developer, as a precaution. I'm not only talking about apps with hidden agendas, I also mean there are just too many to count, well intentioned but half-baked apps out there as well.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
19 updates today and I just had 11 two days ago. This is happening with much more frequency recently. I don't have that many apps installed either.

efstop

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
It's just a theory, but I think Google is uploading usage info while they update. I don't care enough to worry about it, though.

KennZAney1

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a theory, it's Google downloading ads for the apps. This way they can bypass bandwidth usage by including them as an "update", and not take up the user's data.

finger_man

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Mine have been going every 4-6 days, Android 8.0 HTC10 + MOTO Z2 FORCE. Older platforms aren't updating this frequently. Makes me wish for N 7.x
It's getting ridiculous. 6days? Duckduckgo, Netflix, Gmail, YouTube, Pandora, Norton's is the only one I don't mind. 18 (19) #
#updates

Chukri

May 3, 2018
Visit site
Or maybe they are meant to lower the performance of your phone slowly slowly with every update until your phone becomes useless so you have to buy a new phone. The most annoying part is that the phone asks you politely if you want to install the update now or later. And if you dare to say "late"r your phone will keep bugging you with the same question everyday for the rest of your life until you finally give up and say : OK go ahead... I really really want you to install those updates now! I can't wait any longer!

Last edited:

PinkyLee56

Nov 14, 2018
Visit site
I have a MotoZPlay, and I am having same problem, what is the deal?? Updating THE SAME APPS 3-5 times a week!!?? I feel like something is wrong bc I never received all these daily app updates before, does anyone know what's going on!?? I am a Beta tester on one app, but I have been for a long time, and I never have gotten so many app updates in the past??? Does ANYONE have the answer??HELP PLEASE...THX

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon