Galaxy S6 14 months later

lukazi

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just curious about everyone else's thoughts. It's been around 14 months or so since galaxy s6 was released. Personally this has been the greatest mobile device I've ever owned. It's still very snappy and I've never had a single slightest issue with it. So I'd definitely buy it again today in a heartbeat. And i wouldn't feel like I'd be missing out on any of the new features of s7.

But would you buy it now?

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just curious about everyone else's thoughts. It's been around 14 months or so since galaxy s6 was released. Personally this has been the greatest mobile device I've ever owned. It's still very snappy and I've never had a single slightest issue with it. So I'd definitely buy it again today in a heartbeat. And i wouldn't feel like I'd be missing out on any of the new features of s7.

But would you buy it now?

I would definitely not, battery life was atrocious when I had that phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit up front that I'm a big fan of the Samsung phones, so keep in mind that I do have a bit of bias here.

That said, for the most part, I love my S6. For the sake of brevity (as best I can do), here are my complaints and/or suggestions about it:

1. Battery life is not horrible, but not that great either. I am lucky in that I typically have access to a wireless or wired charger, so it's rare that I worry about battery life. However, it is kind of annoying that I need to constantly check the battery to see if I need to recharge the device. I said early on when I first got the phone that I don't understand the whole industry drive to make the phones as thin as possible. They are PLENTY thin, and having made the phone as thick as it needs to be so that the camera doesn't protrude from the back would have been the right choice - as it would have eliminated that issue, as well as given a lot more room for a larger battery. Two birds with one stone, without sacrificing the quality of the phone in any meaningful way.

2. Not sure if this is more of a Samsung issue or an ATT issue, but together they both put a fair amount of "junk" on the phone that really doesn't need to be there (ie: useless apps and features). I don't know enough about how all this works to evaluate if this causes the phone to be slower, or if these things eat into battery life ... but I do know that I basically turn all that stuff off from day one ... disable apps, turn off features, etc.

3. Lastly, again not sure of the tech side of my comment ... but I wouldn't have made the back of the phone out of glass. I run a very slim case ONLY to protect the back of the phone so that I don't feel the need to completely baby is when setting it down, for fear of scratching/breaking the glass back. Some have said that glass was used so that the phone could do wireless charging w/out a special case. I have no clue if this is true, nor do I know if the new S7's are glass-backed or metal. If metal would work with the wireless charging, I think it would have been a better move to make the back of the S6 out of metal.

So, there you have it ... I'd buy the phone again as the pros outweigh the cons for ME ... but if I were someone who was "out and about" to the point that charging whenever I wanted to was not an option, I may have to reconsider that and choose a different phone.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Every single part of the s6 has been great for me except the battery. Charging 3 times a day is no fun 😖

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
If I was looking for a new phone right now, I would not buy the S6. Battery life is not great and there are better options available.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Comming from the iPhone the S6 has been an amazing experience. But I'll be honest had I known I'd of dealt with my crap iPhone battery for a few more months and gotten a s7 the battery is kind of a turn off. Luckily I can top it up when it gets low. But feel like I can't use it as much as I'd like because of the battery

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Every single part of the s6 has been great for me except the battery. Charging 3 times a day is no fun 😖

Three times a day? I charge mine every other day. You must be on the phone all the time.😆

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Three times a day? I charge mine every other day. You must be on the phone all the time.������

If you're only having to charge your phone once every other day, I can't even begin to imagine how infrequently you use the phone.

I'll grant you this ... if I have my phone just sitting there, doing nothing, all day long, it will lose very little power. If I use it only for phone calls and a few text messages across the course of the day, it will end up about 40% at the end of the day (meaning, I take it off the charger at 6am, and the end of the day is about 10pm).

So, you must be making about 2 phone calls a day, maybe a few texts, and perhaps checking email twice a day.

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I charged my phone at 2pm yesterday. I've made 5 calls, checked my email probably 20 times, wrote 5 emails and 15 text messages. Entered stuff in my banking app, read several articles on my Routers app, downloaded 3 updates from the Play Store and of course read and answered question(such as this) on this forum. It's 12:08 pm here and my phone is at 53%. I'm sure there are phones with a lot better battery life, the S6 battery obviously doesn't work well for your use and lifestyle,I don't doubt that, but for some of us the battery life doesn't suck. 😃

I know I'm not a power user, but the battery life works fine for me. I use the Internet when it's available and I get a total of about 5 hrs of on screen use. I will probably recharge tonight or possibly tommorow morning.

SJBBF

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the Galaxy S4, the battery life of the S6 is very good. I consider myself a heavy user and I basically charge it once overnight.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried my hardest NOT to damage/scratch/scuff my phone without a case (leaving 1 pocket just for the phone and everything else in other pockets) and it still got scratches on the screen/scuffs on the body. I honestly don't know if I had my pocket somewhere while the phone was in it or something its anyone guess.

The battery went from 4 hours of SoT to 3 hours of SoT, so I'm kinda bummed about that.

Besides that tho, this phone is the most amazing phone I've ever owned. It does everything BLAZING fast, the pics come out it 16:9 which I LOVE. the 1080p 60fps videos are amazing

front camera for family selfies are absolutely amazing

the fact that Samsung gives you an option to download they're clone of iMovie from iOS is a hugeeeeee plus for me. I loved that on my iPod touch and to have it here is amazing.

Now that Good lock came out (paired with nova launcher) I can make anything any color or way I want it no restrictions, want a special clock widget on the lock screen? no problem! want the weather clock back on the lock screen? no problem! want a icon pack and super fast fingerprint unlocking? no problem!

I don't have to root I don't have to void warranty I don't have to be scared everything is customizable and everything WORKS best of all.

If I had a 3000 or 3200 mAh battery I would be he happiest person ever

Buttr

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
The only reason I wouldn't buy it NOW, is because I would buy the S7. I do love my S6, but I am a fanatic about having a case on it to protect it, and it seems with the 7, I wouldn't have to. The battery life for me is decent, I charge it every night, whether it needs it or not. :p I have had absolutely NO problems with this phone, and it does everything I ask it to, with no complaints or hesitation. Perfect partner. ;)