Samsung S6 - Strange Behaviour

xPETEZx

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey All,

Hoping somebody can help.

Yesterday my phone displayed a "No Network" red banner across the top of the display, blocking the notification bar.
I could not see any of the bar, and nothing I did removed the banner.
Phone worked otherwise.

I rebooted the phone. It got stuck at the flashing "Samsung" screen for over 10 minutes.
I perhaps foolishly hard powered it off, then back on.

It started up and no read network banner.

However I noticed a bunch of problems since:

1.) The App Switcher Button no longer does anything. Lights up, but does not bring up the app switcher. (Turning on the accessibility menu and then pressing "App Switcher" there, also fails to bring up the menu)
2.) The settings 'cog' from the top pull down menu does nothing. Need to launch settings from the app drawer to launch it.
3.) Fingerprints work to unlock fine. However when going into the Fingerprint setting I cant add or remove any. (The option is just wholly missing)
4.) App Notifications seem almost totally broken. Sometimes I hear the sound, but dont see a mark in the notification bar.

Now since then I have tried clearing the cache using the volume down+power at boot, but no change.

Anybody have this happen?

The phone is running 6.0.1, which it updated to about 2-3 weeks ago. Ran fine ever since.

Any advice welcome.

I am very reluctant to do a factory reset at this point due to the lengthy nature of restoring. I am not rooted, so the best I have is helium backup.
Still major pain to fully restore.

Anyway, suggestions welcome!

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ultimately, you may have to try reinstalling the firmware using Smart Switch. Not sure if that will wipe your data or not.

xPETEZx

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I am coming to that realistation :(

Worse, it seems I cant backup with Helium again. It fails everytime. Then tries to open Dev options, which is blank.
If I hit Build number 7 times, it does not give me Dev options.

It seems like my Android install is totally botched.

This all would not be a problem with Android had a backup function that worked like on iOS (or virutally every other platform)
Who really thinks a backup is:
Contacts, Phone Log, SMS, Photos, Videos ??? Where is the SETTINGS? All the dam accounts. Where is ALL the App Data?

When I had problems on my iPad, had to wipe it. Restored from iCloud and everything was EXACTLY as I left it...
Cant believe this many years later Android still has nothing that compares. I hear Titanium backup does, but that needs root.

xPETEZx

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Resolved with a factory reset and clean OS install using the SmartSwitch desktop app....and the tedious half-day of reconfiguring everything. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC