Not charging after a factory reset?

A

AC Question

Not charging after factory reset

I have a compounded issue. I tend to continue taking photos/videos and leaving them on my S6 until I run out of space. I then connect the USB cable to my laptop and transfer all image/video files. I use the option to delete all transferred files from device once transfer is complete.

About three or four weeks ago I was approaching "out of space" again. I connected the USB cable as I always have in the past. The charging icon appeared on my device. I went to "My Computer" and noticed my phone was not showing up as a camera nor an additional storage device. I have seen this before and am familiar with overcoming it. So, I went to my device's notification list expecting to click "Connected As blah blah blah. Touch for more options." However, this notification for the first time wasn't displayed. I tried different cables and different laptops. Same issue. I started looking for my USB debugging options as I have had to enable that in the past to work with the options to which I am referring. I could no longer find the USB debugging options. A Google search revealed that I needed to tap "About Phone" several times to access Developer options and turn on USB debugging. What?! I never had to access the Developer options by tapping About Phone in the past. At this point it was obvious some updates had occurred and some changes have been made. I excessively tapped, enabled Developer, and turned on USB Debugging. Having to turn on USB Debugging was another giveaway that changed had occurred because I never turned debugging "off" after the last time I had to turn it on.

Anyway, after following these steps and reconnecting multiple USB cables my laptops still did not recognize that a phone or storage device had been connected. Likewise, my notification list still would not show the USB connection and allow my a "touch for more options" option. NOTE: during all troubleshooting the "charging" notification did appear and tapping it provided no options.

Next step: rebooting the phone and reconnecting with multiple USB cables. Results were the same. Next step: rebooting the laptop and reconnecting with multiple USB cables. Results were the same.

I gave up on this for a couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks I went through all of these steps again. Oh, by the way...."Yes, during my first and second troubleshooting sessions I performed multiple tests after changing my connection type setting to MTP as well as PTP." Results were the same.

Tonight, I finally caved. Ensured all files were backed up online and performed a factory reset. The end result? PHONE WILL NOT EVEN CHARGE NOW WHEN CONNECTED TO A POWER OUTLET!!! Connecting via USB cable to laptops achieves neither charging, camera, or storage device. In other words now the phone is not recognizing connection to anything. 10% left on battery. At this point I turned the phone off hoping someone knows a fix that is going to work with the short amount of battery I'll have left after powering the device on again.

FINAL NOTE: "Yes, after no success with connecting the phone to anything I tapped About Phone several times, enabled Developer, turned on USB debugging, and toggled between USB connection types." I'm dead in the water on this.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Not charging after factory reset

Sounds like the USB port on the phone is bad. Do you have an OTG cable to attempt a usb flash drive connection, or a direct connecting flash drive you can plug into the phone. If the phone can't detect the drives, then I would say either the phone connector is bad, or the port (electronics) is bad.

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Not charging after factory reset

Thank you for responding. I have spent the past two ours going through every post I could find regarding USB, file transfer, and/or charging issues. What I have found is that this has been a common issue beginning in March after receiving the Marshmallow update. Some people have mentioned that the only thing that worked for them was charging via power bank. All other connections failed to charge or connect file transfer options between PC and device. The most recent "possibilities" I have found were from people that said the only thing that finally worked for them (Marshmallow) was to revert back to the original charging cable. Like me these people report that the had used their non-original cable for a long period of time (without issue) until receiving the Marshmallow update. I ran across my original cable a few weeks ago. Hopefully, I can find it later today and give it a shot. By the way, my issue was the same as the other posts I've found: Was able to charge phone via outlet and laptop USB. Simply couldn't connect device as a media device. Many of these posts included, "I hope I don't have to do a factory reset, because I can't backup my files right now to a PC." I did not find any posts where someone stated that they went through with a factory reset. That said, I didn't find any posts describing what happened after a factory reset. In my situation my files are backed up to two separate online solutions. So...I had no reason to hold off on the factory reset. I wish now I hadn't done it. What an enormously inconvenient nuisance this whole ordeal is. I'm going to bed now. Very disgusted.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've not seen the threads you mention about MM causing the issue. Your post actually states two problems though... 1) it's not charging, and 2) it won't connect to the PC. These are separate issues as there are two things going on... 1) power, and 2) data. Some USB cables only have charging lines and no data lines. If you attempt to get data off the device with a "charge only" cable, it won't do a thing for data. One the other hand, "data only" cables are not the "norm" for consumer electronics, so for charging, basically any USB cable should work.

I certainly hope if it's a MM issue it gets fixed right away.

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
All of my charging/USB cables are the same cables I've always used prior to the existence of this problem. I don't use certain ones for certain tasks. Prior to the update when plugging the S6 into a laptop the notification would appear in the notification drop-down list allowing you to tap it to choose your connection type. Once this problem started there is no "tap to change connection type" option. The notification list would only include a "charging" notification. Tapping it (long hold touch) does not provide additional options either. Normally, this would be because a user would need to enable USB debugging. Once enabled (and after a possibly required restart) a user would finally see the option to choose USB connection type. Either way, yes you are correct. My description of the "original problem" was the inability to connect to a PC and transfer files. At that time, charging was NOT an issue. The problem became "compounded" after completing a factory reset. The purpose of the factory reset was to hopefully correct the USB connectivity issue. Unfortunately, the reset resulted in a bigger problem; inability to charge the phone. Since that time I have attempted everything using the factory and a brand new Samsung original S6 cable. No dice. Also, wireless charger: No dice. I spent a couple of hours with a Verizon tech this evening and a Samsung tech. Nothing either of them could do. They hadn't heard of this. Ironically, when I got to the Samsung tech he was holding another user's S6 in his hand. He was staring intently at the phone and scratching his head. Seems the phone recently received the Marshmallow update and no longer provides an option to choose USB connection type in the notification drop-down list. The user and tech were using the original USB cable that came with the phone and the user had used over and over to transfer files prior to receiving the Marshmallow update. The tech was attempting to connect the phone to a laptop with no such luck. I told him....."DON'T PERFORM A FACTORY RESET." If you want to check out the additional threads, search "S6 Marshmallow". However, unless they are new today I can tell you the best case answers are "After updating to Marshmallow only the original charging/USB cable will work for charging and/or transferring files." Unfortunately, for me that solution would have probably worked had I tried it.........prior to the factory reset. My advice to S6 owners.....do NOT do the reset. This is obviously an issue with the current Marshmallow release. Cut your losses, be grateful for the ability to charge your expensive phone and hold out for Samsung to realize this and provide a fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci