No data and call at the same time?

sdeeter19555

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a company-provided Verizon S6 that gives me some sort of a warning message when I try to do anything data during a call. I need to be able to text/email/browse while on calls, and it won't let me (keep in mind this is while sitting in my office).

My AT&T S5 is flawless in this respect and all my previous devices were also S3 mini, multiple BlackBerry, etc.).

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Make sure to turn on "Advanced Calling". This will use VoLTE (Voice-Over-LTE) which will allow the phone to have voice and data while using the phone. It sends the call through LTE (it doesn't count as data).

AT&T runs on a different standard that can handle calls & voice. I will list a more detailed explanation below as to why this is.

If you are unable to use Voice & Data on a call this could be a CDMA limitation.
GSM Carriers (AT&T / T-Mobile) – Both can use voice and data at the same. Either on HSPA or on LTE (using VoLTE).
CDMA Carriers (Sprint / Verizon) – These carriers can only handle voice or data. Not both at the same time… Unless using VoLTE. Verizon currently has VoLTE whereas Sprint doesn’t. You may be asking – why is this? My old phone did this... which I am sure it did. A more detailed explanation is below.
[INFO]The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.
Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/INFO]

sdeeter19555

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that explaination. I checked that advanced call setting, and it is off; but it needs administrative approval to activate. I pushed this up the chain to get it resolved.

Again, thanks for that explaination.

sdeeter19555

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
That's the problem, the only time I need the call and data is when I'm away from any wifi. In my office, I only need call as I'm sitting in front of a laptop.

sdeeter19555

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Well, company called and had advanced calling enabled, and it automatically turned on the phone. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon