Verizon gs6 not getting text messages after being in airplane mode

Zach91

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
So I usually put when phone in airplane mode when I'm at work and cannot use it. It used to deliver any texts I had received when in airplane as soon as I turned off airplane. A few days ago, my Verizon gs6 stop delivering those messages. I now only get those airplane mode texts if I text that person who texted me when I was in airplane. I have no idea why this suddenly is happening, but it's caused me to quite a few texts and is preventing me from using airplane mode to save battery when I cannot use my phone. Any ideas why this is happening?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like your app is not auto updating/syncing what have you. In your description you are only turning the phone out of airplane mode at the end of the day... If this is the case why have it on at all? In print that probably sounds a bit... harsh, it's not. I ask because I'm wondering what happens if the phone is powered on instead of brought of airplane mode? If you're doing this to save battery and not using the phone all day then turning it off would save more battery. And turning it on may trigger the return of those missing messages. While not the optimum situation considering you are probably using the phone at break and lunch, I'd try a quick reboot after work.

Now before you think me a mad man, powering the device on and off occasionally is good for it. We often neglect to do this even every so often. Powering off the device triggers some apps to dump their caches, triggers some to simply just shutdown, and it saves power. OK that last is true but was just for fun, as for the others think of the justice you'd be doing your phone.

Another thing to consider would be deleting some of those texts. I'm not sure but I'm wondering if you have thousands of texts and hundreds of MMS on your device? Clearing caches and removing SMS and MMS can only help.

Zach91

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like your app is not auto updating/syncing what have you. In your description you are only turning the phone out of airplane mode at the end of the day... If this is the case why have it on at all? In print that probably sounds a bit... harsh, it's not. I ask because I'm wondering what happens if the phone is powered on instead of brought of airplane mode? If you're doing this to save battery and not using the phone all day then turning it off would save more battery. And turning it on may trigger the return of those missing messages. While not the optimum situation considering you are probably using the phone at break and lunch, I'd try a quick reboot after work.

Now before you think me a mad man, powering the device on and off occasionally is good for it. We often neglect to do this even every so often. Powering off the device triggers some apps to dump their caches, triggers some to simply just shutdown, and it saves power. OK that last is true but was just for fun, as for the others think of the justice you'd be doing your phone.

Another thing to consider would be deleting some of those texts. I'm not sure but I'm wondering if you have thousands of texts and hundreds of MMS on your device? Clearing caches and removing SMS and MMS can only help.

I only have it in airplane for a few hours at a time. I take it out of airplane on breaks/ lunch. I restart it now and then, but turing it off every time i'm not using it would be inconvenient. Restarting has also not solved this issue. I don't have a crazy amount of texts so i don't think that is the problem.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well what you consider a crazy amount and what someone else does may differ, I digress. If texts received while the phone is off aren't delivered when the device is turned on...? That's pretty serious. Obviously you have an S6 but what app are you using for SMS? Since you have to choose a default app there's only ever one app looking for SMS, sorry I'm kind of talking my way through this, but you get the SMS if you send a message? You specified that you get Steve's SMS if you text Steve. Would it be fair to say that you get Steve and Julie's text if you text one of them, or do you literally have to text each person before getting the undelivered text? That speaks to a different issue than where I'm headed. If opening and using the app triggers the delivery of messages it sounds like the app is going dormant and needing to be woken up. That sounds like something a power saver app or battery saver app would do or may cause. Since your SMS app is always looking for messages, it uses a little power, but the drain should not be so great that it would need to be stopped. Are you using anything like that? Memory saver apps would also stop processes to conserve resources or make them available for other uses.

Zach91

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Well what you consider a crazy amount and what someone else does may differ, I digress. If texts received while the phone is off aren't delivered when the device is turned on...? That's pretty serious. Obviously you have an S6 but what app are you using for SMS? Since you have to choose a default app there's only ever one app looking for SMS, sorry I'm kind of talking my way through this, but you get the SMS if you send a message? You specified that you get Steve's SMS if you text Steve. Would it be fair to say that you get Steve and Julie's text if you text one of them, or do you literally have to text each person before getting the undelivered text? That speaks to a different issue than where I'm headed. If opening and using the app triggers the delivery of messages it sounds like the app is going dormant and needing to be woken up. That sounds like something a power saver app or battery saver app would do or may cause. Since your SMS app is always looking for messages, it uses a little power, but the drain should not be so great that it would need to be stopped. Are you using anything like that? Memory saver apps would also stop processes to conserve resources or make them available for other uses.

I am using the stock SMS app. Yes I will receive both of their messages if I text one of them. Opening the app does not trigger the messages to be delivered and I am not currently using any battery/memory saver apps.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
try this. switch airplane mode on, leave it for 10-15min, switch airplane mode off, then ask someone to text you. if don't get the text then ask someone else to call you. then answer the call and then see if you get the text message.
also do a clear cache.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well first let's talk about the stock app.... Even if you aren't interested in a forever switch find a nice 3rd party app for SMS, like Go or Handsent, and try it for a day. Look around this isn't Apple most people don't keep stock apps. After hearing your stock I'm changing my answer to its the app.