Is Samsung Pay a piece of junk or is it just me?

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It works maybe half a dozen times and then quits working until I clear the cache and reload Amex. Then it will work about half a dozen times and quit again. Rinse repeat. I've just given up on it. More of PIA to stand there waiting for the thing to reject than it is to pull the card and swipe it. Is this going to be one of those features that everyone thinks is wonderful until they don't and go back to the old way of doing things?

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I hope not! I really like using it. But yesterday at Kroger I paid for my groceries with my phone and it went through just fine, but the cashier looked at me and said "they haven't told us we're authorized for that yet." I said, well it went through on my end, did it not show up on yours? And she said, "yes but they haven't authorized us for that yet and some man did that same thing to me yesterday." (As if he had assaulted her, Lol)
I asked her if she wanted to cancel the sale and have me use my card instead, but assured her the money was coming from the same place regardless. She just waved her hand at me and said no.
I've never had anyone get mad and say they weren't "authorized" before. Usually they're just surprised it works.

As to having it just quit working and having to clear the cache etc., I think I haven't had the opportunity to use it enough in my small town for that to happen. That would be quite a pain and hopefully something that Samsung will address.

Posted via the Android Central App

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have occasional issues with it but more often than not it works. It is subjective I believe to the condition of the pay terminal. For me some of them in the Dollar General stores are blotchy occasionally and same goes for in restaurant pay at the table tablets too. Some cases may affect the signal too and I know data is required for it to work so if the signals bad it may faulter.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am having issues with mine, the transaction goes through but it isn't recorded on Samsung pay nor do I get a notification that I just paid for what I purchased. I didn't have this problem on my note 5. Samsung said it's my bank, my bank has no clue....I'm giving it one more try and if it doesn't work I am done, not worth the trouble....too bad I was starting to enjoy it.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have used it since the beginning day's and it works very well. Other then surprised looks from the cashiers or people saying that doesn't work here then 3 seconds later looking amazed everything has performed surprisingly well.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I started using mine on day one but switched to AP because you couldn't load loyalty cards into SP. Since the upgrade a month or so ago (which now allows loyalty cards) I switched back and it's been spotty. Problems seem to arise on terminals that have NFC readers. Case in point - the dry cleaners that I use has an NFC reader. Sometimes SP works on the NFC side, other times I get a card error, and then other times it only works on the strip-reader side. Yesterday I got an error on both sides. This is all with the same terminal. It's like that at numerous vendors.

I'm thinking about using AP for my default and SP for magnetic readers only. It's a shame because the idea is to not need to carry around your credit card, but I don't have enough faith in SP to do that so why bother at all.

Lets not even get into the eye-rolling that goes on when there is a line...

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, the eye rolling gets me too. So I'm just going back to my card until someone pays attention and gets it fixed or it goes into the trash pile of great ideas that never got anywhere because of lousy execution.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Wanted to try it, but all I ever get is CONNECTION ERROR when I try to add a card. My card is supposedly supported.

Edit: went into Settings and Reset the app and tried again. Success!

Last edited:

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
On NFC terminals trying holding your phone near the card slide slot. Very seldom any problems when I've done that. I can't think of any instances over the past few weeks when Samsung Pay didn't work perfectly on various terminals and in various stores. My only complaint is no Discover card, but that's not Samsung Pay's fault.

mdesch74

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Is having both AP and SP on the same phone possible? I originally setup SP and then decided to set up AP as a backup plan. When I added my card to AP the SP app deleted my card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv