04-03-2017 07:20 AM
57 123
tools
    Oh, I wasn't saying it was great.. I don't use voice much, if at all, either. I'm typing most of the time.... but Assistant doesn't stop you from doing that as the homescreen search widget still does its thing, and the Google app feed is still there. The switch to Assistant really only removed two things, and those things were only in the On Tap/Screen Search interface: the feed cards and the search icons (gas stations, ATMs, etc).
    The on tap was convenient for obvious reasons, not leaving your screen to use search. I feel assist has made extra steps for those I of us who can't always speak to our phones and to me extra steps to use a function are a step backwards. Is there another short cut or was the home screen button the only way?
    03-14-2017 01:13 PM
    The on tap was convenient for obvious reasons, not leaving your screen to use search. I feel assist has made extra steps for those I of us who can't always speak to our phones and to me extra steps to use a function are a step backwards. Is there another short cut or was the home screen button the only way?
    On Tap, you still left the screen. to get to search, you long pressed, then hit the Google icon, which then brought you over to the Google App.

There are so many quick ways to get into a input box in Google Search though... no matter what launcher you use.
    03-14-2017 02:41 PM
    On Tap, you still left the screen. to get to search, you long pressed, then hit the Google icon, which then brought you over to the Google App.

There are so many quick ways to get into a input box in Google Search though... no matter what launcher you use.
    I don't know what version of the Google Now on Tap you had, but mine works like so. I hold down the home button to do a Google search. The Google app scans my screen for relevant information. While this is happening, I can remain silent, which will show results from the screen search. I can say OK Google, and speak my search, or I can start typing my search, both of which will show me the results of my search. I only had to hit the Google icon to bring my Google Now cards up. I was able to type to my phone for the search, and just had to say the catch phrase to do pretty much what the Assistant does.

The assistant makes it so you have to download a third party app and assign the Google app (which is what's assigned to long button home press anyway [how long before that's disabled and assistant is the defacto Google app result??]) to do a one touch, *easy* Google search where you don't have to speak to your phone, hit the home button once, or twice if you weren't on the assigned Google icon screen (and not too fast with twice, lest you pull up the camera) and then hit the app icon, or have to rearrange one or all of your muscle memory home screens to accommodate the search bar, or the consistent buttons on the bottom of the pages. Try explaining that to your mom, step dad, half brother, his wife, your sister in law, aunts, et al...it's above their head and they all don't like it. And I hate it.
    03-15-2017 11:00 PM
    I don't know what version of the Google Now on Tap you had but mine works like so. I hold down the home button to do a Google search. The Google app scans my screen for relevant information. While this is happening, I can remain silent, which will show results from the screen search. I can say OK Google, and speak my search, or I can start typing my search, both of which will show me the results of my search.
    First, the GA interface is going to evolve. Quicker access to the text search is in the works already (no idea when it will be available though). And yes, in the meantime, users will have to go back to the main Google widget to use text input, rather than just tapping on the Google icon in On Tap. I don't see that as a hardship.

As I said before, Assistant is Google advancing things... On Tap, which I agree was a great feature, was also a feature that wasn't being used on a wide scale. The vast majority of users weren't even aware it existed. But Google isn't trying to make searching harder, far from it.
    03-16-2017 08:30 AM
    First, the GA interface is going to evolve. Quicker access to the text search is in the works already (no idea when it will be available though). And yes, in the meantime, users will have to go back to the main Google widget to use text input, rather than just tapping on the Google icon in On Tap. I don't see that as a hardship.

As I said before, Assistant is Google advancing things... On Tap, which I agree was a great feature, was also a feature that wasn't being used on a wide scale. The vast majority of users weren't even aware it existed. But Google isn't trying to make searching harder, far from it.
    Do you work for the Google Assistant developer team?
    03-16-2017 09:23 PM
    Do you work for the Google Assistant developer team?
    No, 😁. But I know things.
    03-16-2017 09:25 PM
    No, 😁. But I know things.
    But to have access to the non provided to the public information...you work for Google and have access to this information, or you work for WikiLeaks?

You might even be the Google customer service representative I spoke with when they forced this half baked, and therefore infuriating, 'Assistant' upon the masses. Yes, it's not even worth the proper quotes.
    03-16-2017 09:40 PM
    No... I don't work for Google in any capacity. Users involved with the Google app beta program have been seeing commits in the beta releases since January that point to Google working on the feature. In things like APK breakdown, for instance... Google often checks in parts of test code to the released product that point back to features that have not been widely released yet. And in those strings is a text box that includes the phrase "Type something..." and other commits that add methods like "type_container" and "keyboard_toggle". Doesn't take much reading between those lines to understand what that implies.

I get it, you don't like Assistant. I happen to disagree with you.. I don't find it at all infuriating. But that's fine, you can't please everyone. What I am trying to get across is that Assistant is the heart of Google's roadmap going forward... it's not going away... so yes, you are most likely going to not going to find many sympathetic ears when you contact them.
    03-17-2017 08:30 AM
    Just use the Google Search widget from your home screen or open the Google app itself.
    03-17-2017 08:48 AM
    No... I don't work for Google in any capacity. Users involved with the Google app beta program have been seeing commits in the beta releases since January that point to Google working on the feature. In things like APK breakdown, for instance... Google often checks in parts of test code to the released product that point back to features that have not been widely released yet. And in those strings is a text box that includes the phrase "Type something..." and other commits that add methods like "type_container" and "keyboard_toggle". Doesn't take much reading between those lines to understand what that implies.

I get it, you don't like Assistant. I happen to disagree with you.. I don't find it at all infuriating. But that's fine, you can't please everyone. What I am trying to get across is that Assistant is the heart of Google's roadmap going forward... it's not going away... so yes, you are most likely going to not going to find many sympathetic ears when you contact them.
    I too prefer the long press Google Now or Google On Tap, I probably use both of those features multiple times everyday.

I was truly excited when the Google Assistant arrived, I will use it here and there but not as a complete replacement for easy to access information via On Tap or Now which don't require me to speak. Now instead of just having the option to choose what long press of home does I have to change my phone's language settings to appear like I'm in the Virgin Islands just to get the Assistant to back off (what a stalker).

The biggest reason I've been with Android since Windows Mobile MANY years ago was because of the options, customization, and freedom. Being forced into using something, or at the very least making it harder to access things I easily could previously just seems very contrary to the reason I've championed the Android platform for so long.
    03-18-2017 09:33 PM
    People were forced into using On Tap... It used to just be a link to the Google app. Software evolves.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-19-2017 10:40 AM
    Just use the Google Search widget from your home screen or open the Google app itself.
    Yep. That's what I do. Simple
    03-20-2017 01:48 PM
    People were forced into using On Tap... It used to just be a link to the Google app. Software evolves.
    On Tap added options. It didn't remove one of two input methods. How do hearing impaired people feel about The Assistant?
    03-20-2017 08:17 PM
    On Tap added options. It didn't remove one of two input methods. How do hearing impaired people feel about The Assistant?
    They might not have a use for Assistant at the moment, but the text based interface is still available. You talk as though the addition of Assistant removed your ability to type in queries, which a) it doesn't and b) neither did On Tap. On Tap just had a quick link to the Google app and the card based UI. And a native, built-in text input feature, something On Tap does not have, is coming soon to Assistant.

But what about the flip side? If you are vision impaired, perhaps having a more voice-centric feature like Assistant is a welcomed addition.

Funny you should mention accessibility concerns... Google is too... word is that the next major version, O, will have a major on more accessibility improvements. If true, you can be rest assured that you will see a lot of enhancements to Assistant.
    03-21-2017 09:47 AM
    Most of the content is visual being enhanced by voice. Assistant is much more friendly to accessibility users than Now ever was, with the obvious exception of those who cannot speak... who can use assistant in Allo, or the Google search widget, Google app, browser, etc. Nothing has changed for those users.
    03-21-2017 09:58 AM
    Most of the content is visual being enhanced by voice. Assistant is much more friendly to accessibility users than Now ever was, with the obvious exception of those who cannot speak... who can use assistant in Allo, or the Google search widget, Google app, browser, etc. Nothing has changed for those users.
    Still, much less convenient for the hearing impaired (or those who are in their typical daily situations where they're not able to use voice for search) to have to stop what they're doing, hit home (pause to not activate camera if they're doing the next step), and possibly hit home again...and then hit another button or widget to access the most frequently used input method. Versus just holding down the home button and either typing, doing nothing to get screen search results, or having to say "OK Google" to activate the voice input / Assistant.

I'm going to guess there are more hearing impaired people currently using the devices with text inputs than vision impaired people who are using the devices essentially sans display. The only thing they're gaining is the ability to not have to say "OK Google" with their default input method on the device. And Assistant removes sound feedback!

I understand that many people think that the Assistant is the greatest thing since sliced, Blendtec'd, organic Siri bread, and that's fine if it works for them. My point is that Google actively chose to force a half baked revision of their premier app that makes the app considerably less accessible for the hearing impaired, and to a lesser degree, visually impaired people, and breaks easy, one touch, text Google searches. I don't care if they're going to add text input in the next revision, it's unacceptable to remove one touch text input, a long time key feature of Android, for a forced voice interaction interface. I just don't understand all of the apologies for Google for this exclusion.
    03-21-2017 11:42 PM
    The screen search and all that is also still in assistant from any screen outside the launcher.
    03-22-2017 07:37 AM
    My point is that Google actively chose to force a half baked revision of their premier app
    On Tap was extremely underutilized. Outside of my 'in the know' acquaintances here, I haven't come across anyone out on the world that even knew that it existed, never mind used it on a regular basis. There have been several articles here on AC and on other Android sites discussing On Tap/Screen Search's lack of popularity and use... And Google knows exactly how many users access the tool, and how often they do it. Most everyone just used the google search widget that gets popped on to every home screen.

Google has been trying to add in utility to that search. First, they incorporated Google Now, along with a home button ring shortcut to access it. Then they decided to make that shortcut more intelligent and introduced On Tap. But you can lead a horse to water and all that and no one used it. Google Now, which is 100 levels of awesome, is even vastly underutilized... most get reminders and updates from it and don't give it a second thought. So as great a feature as it might be, Google was left with a decision; take a whole new approach and shift to conversational interface or continue to expend a lot of resources on a feature that may never be utilized.

They took option A... just as Apple, Samsung, Amazon, Microsoft and pretty much every other tech provider has. So the Google Search widget is still there, that hasn't changed. And Google Now is still available, that hasn't changed (other than a replacing the old voice search with the far from half-baked Assistant).
    03-22-2017 09:07 AM
    Assistant is trash. Period point blank. No reason to deprecate the most commonly used feature of search engine (text input) to prioritize TALKING to an INANIMATE OBJECT. If they plan to "reimplement" it, that just proves even more how inept they are. How Apple of them.
    03-24-2017 04:32 PM
    Assistant is trash. Period point blank. No reason to deprecate the most commonly used feature of search engine (text input) to prioritize TALKING to an INANIMATE OBJECT. If they plan to "reimplement" it, that just proves even more how inept they are. How Apple of them.
    It didn't replace that. That functionality is still in the search app.
    03-24-2017 05:10 PM
    It didn't replace that. That functionality is still in the search app.
    I said "deprecate".
    03-24-2017 05:16 PM
    I said "deprecate".
    Same answer
    03-24-2017 05:20 PM
    Same answer
    Then your answer is irrelevant, as it does not apply to what I said. Also, I didn't ask a question.
    03-24-2017 05:55 PM
    Then your answer is irrelevant, as it does not apply to what I said. Also, I didn't ask a question.
    Sorry. 100% of the functionality is still there and though the same input. That's what I meant.
    03-24-2017 05:57 PM
    Sorry. 100% of the functionality is still there and though the same input. That's what I meant.
    Now you're lying.

Also, this is what I meant: "In several fields, deprecation is the discouragement of use of some feature, design or practice; typically because it has been superseded or is no longer considered efficient, or safe – but without completely removing it or prohibiting its use."
    03-24-2017 05:59 PM
57 123