My not rooted Verizon Galaxy S6 G920V has been eligible for the nougat update for a long time. I keep deferring it every day, due to all battery drain and speed charging issues that I've seen reported. I have seen many posts where people wish they had not updated. It's been long enough now that the bugs should all be worked out, but I'm still hesitant. So, are the bugs worked out, and should I update? Opinions, advise??
    10-03-2017 12:32 PM
    I updated mine, my wife hasn't, beside the UI changes, there's not much difference. If you have problems with the update 90% of the time it can be fixed with a factory reset.
    rainyb9156 likes this.
    10-04-2017 09:57 AM
    I updated eons ago. My battery is better overall. I like the dark themes that are available (specifically Metallic Dark TouchWiz), because the default theme became less easy to read, and dark theme helps with the battery. Auto brightness learns from you sliding the slider now, so I think I only adjust it maybe once every 2 days. Security updates install much faster to boot.

You do lose foxfi hotspot capability if you're concerned with that. It also does not allow adaptive fast charging when the screen is on. Those are the only two disadvantages to speak of (aside from the hard to read default theme).

Like the previous poster said, if you have any issues after the update, backup with smartswitch and reset your phone...and it will restore almost everything (except for private stuff, don't make that mistake).
    rainyb9156 likes this.
    10-04-2017 04:17 PM
    I'm contemplating rooting my phone and downgrading back to droid 6. 7.0 Nougat is so buggy on my S6 that i'm no longer enjoying the phone. Trying to post a help request on here to see if anyone else has the same issues.
    I just don't see it's worth it. Nougat pretty much sucks and i'm losing faith in Android altogether with this.
    rainyb9156 likes this.
    10-10-2017 12:34 AM
    Thanks for your honesty. I'm not doing the update, the horror stories are enough to keep me from doing it, and a factory reset is not a good time, or a fix. Good luck.
    10-10-2017 12:46 PM
    I had two S6s one updated successfully and is much better than before, the other S6 keeps crashing and can't be fixed. flip a coin.
    10-10-2017 06:26 PM
    I'm contemplating rooting my phone and downgrading back to droid 6. 7.0 Nougat is so buggy on my S6 that i'm no longer enjoying the phone. Trying to post a help request on here to see if anyone else has the same issues.
    I just don't see it's worth it. Nougat pretty much sucks and i'm losing faith in Android altogether with this.
    Did you back up your phone using Samsung Smart Switch, reset it, and then use Smart Switch to restore it back to the way it was? (Almost everything will restore, except private information, widgets, and login information on some apps.)

Keep in mind that this is a 2.5 year old phone, whether or not you have had yours for that long. I know 3 people who had their Verizon S6s since a month or two within release date and they all updated to 7.0 with no OS issues (aside from font legibility). One of the 3 phone's batteries seemed to lose a lot of its luster around the same time, so I don't consider that an OS problem (it was over 2 years old lol). So the Verizon version of 7.0 seems to be reasonably reliable in my limited experience.
    10-11-2017 09:12 AM