Battery drain on my 3-yrs old S6 is horrendous. I've followed all the advice I can find on here, e.g. clear cache, disable background mobile data for many apps etc., but to no avail.

A Samsung technician put my phone on diagnostics and it showed some wild, inexplicable downward spikes in battery power and he recommended replacing the phone (but he would, wouldn't he).

What's confusing me is that the diagnostics also showed my battery health as "Good".

I'd like to get another 12 months out of the S6 before upgrading but I'm concerned that replacing the battery will not solve the drain problem because of the last point.

Any informed advice, please, on whether to 1) change battery, 2) buy a portable charger and grin and bear it, or 3) admit defeat and upgrade the phone?

Thanks!
    12-11-2018 07:43 AM
    If you are willing/able to do the work yourself, I may consider replacing the battery. It's a sealed battery, and many people need a repair shop to replace those. If that's the case for you, then I think the cost isn't very justifiable. Also consider the age of the phone, and thus the lack of new battery production. You could likely get an "old stock" battery that has already degraded while sitting on the warehouse shelf.

So I think in your case, I'd strongly consider either a portable charger, or a battery case like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBear-Sam...cUvbUpU6420468

I'm not recommending that one specifically. That was just the first one that popped up in the search and I linked it as an example. I'm not a fan of portable chargers that tether to your phone. Battery cases give you an almost seamless integration so there's no worry about tangled and snagged cables.
    Kodak2 likes this.
    12-11-2018 08:23 AM
    Mooncatt - many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Battery case is a good suggestion I hadn't even thought of, thanks.
    Mooncatt likes this.
    12-11-2018 09:07 AM