My Galaxy S6 did unapproved factory reset, without any action on my part. It lost all my settings and all my files. Now when I go to the Settings->Storage, I see only the original day-one values. I have no idea how it happened. Suddenly, the phone showed a prompt to upgrade the software, then to sign up for network provider as if it came from the box.

I do not have any network provider on this phone. The phone is always in airplane mode, with WiFi disconnected. I turn WiFi on only sometimes when needed.

The files I lost are not a big deal. I use the phone only to listen to podcasts, watch videos, read files, all files transferred from my laptop where I keep all the files. However, I would like to know what happened to the phone
    02-05-2019 07:32 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Spontaneous factory resets happen occasionally, and are probably due to some catastrophic glitch in the firmware. It's otherwise difficult to pinpoint exactly why it happened in your case. When the phone asks you to set up your wireless provider, is there a Skip option?
    02-05-2019 12:28 PM
    There was no Skip option, I just restarted a few times. Are there any system logs saved in such cases? Is there any diagnostics I can run, especially to test the flash memory. I have the phone for about 2 years. Every day I was uploading many podcasts and videos, downloading pics, etc, then deleting many old ones. Maybe the system detected some bad sectors in the flash.
    02-05-2019 08:36 PM
    Sorry, I don't know if there's a system log. I'll leave that to other knowledgeable members to answer ...
    02-06-2019 11:33 AM