I've got the Galaxy S7 Active, you have questions —*fire away!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As usual with these sorts of forum threads, here's my multi-part question for different parts of the phone. Get ready, Phil. ;)

• How many hours do you get on a full-charge on your usual usage? Include SOT numbers if possible.
  • Compared to the standard GS7, how durable is it? I imagine with that sort of construction, it should take a bit of a beating, though not to extreme degrees.
  • How's the fingerprint-sensor? The same as you'd find on the standard model in terms of speed and accuracy?
  • On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the annoyance of AT&T's bloatware?
  • Can you reprogram the Active key?
  • What sort of glass is used on the display? Gorilla Glass 4 or a different type of strengthened glass?
  • That pond skip looks amazing. How many takes did you need?
  • Finally, the age-old question. Titanium Gray, Sandy Gold or Green Camo?

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Great review & thanks for taking the time to do it. With your job, you have new devices constantly. But for those of us updating every couple years, the details are much appreciated. Now to decide if the battery is worth the $100 over the reg S7 as I would use a holster type case anyway(work related issue).

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Great review & thanks for taking the time to do it. With your job, you have new devices constantly. But for those of us updating every couple years, the details are much appreciated. Now to decide if the battery is worth the $100 over the reg S7 as I would use a holster type case anyway(work related issue).

It'll be better, for sure. But it's only 33 percent greater capacity.

Posted via the Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
As usual with these sorts of forum threads, here's my multi-part question for different parts of the phone. Get ready, Phil. ;)

How many hours do you get on a full-charge on your usual usage? Include SOT numbers if possible.

I don't give SOT. It's a red herring. But I charge every night and haven't had to charge early yet.

Compared to the standard GS7, how durable is it? I imagine with that sort of construction, it should take a bit of a beating, though not to extreme degrees.

Watch the video. I wouldn't do that with a regular GS7.

How's the fingerprint-sensor? The same as you'd find on the standard model in terms of speed and accuracy?

That was something I was thinking about a lot, actually. HTC 10 is definitely faster than Samsung in that regard.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the annoyance of AT&T's bloatware?

2 — but only until I turn it off. It's more the principle of the matter.

Can you reprogram the Active key?

According to our review, yes.

What sort of glass is used on the display? Gorilla Glass 4 or a different type of strengthened glass?

Not sure, actually.

That pond skip looks amazing. How many takes did you need?

It's all in the wrist.

Finally, the age-old question. Titanium Gray, Sandy Gold or Green Camo?

Sandy Gold, for sure.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't proper buffered corner sections have been more useful, though it would ruin the aesthetics for some.

As it is, is the screen more recessed when flat down, than... well most phones.

Were any mallards or ducks harmed in the making of the video.

I'm not sure what a buffered corner is. But I dig 'em on this.

The screen's recessed maybe a millimeter. No more than normal phones.

Didn't hut any ducks, but I did nail my trusty photog in the shins a couple times.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, some conflicting reports online about if it would or not.
So strange that they wouldnt make this fit?

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If you had $800 to spend (approx price of this phone) would you buy this or a different phone with a rugged case on it...HTC 10 with a rugged case for example.

Posted via the Android Central App

Michael MCATEE

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Phil...

If you would please..how does it sound as compared to the regular s7 and s7 edge. If you haven't already done a side by side with them will you..

Thanks

Posted from my AT&T S7 Edge

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil...

If you would please..how does it sound as compared to the regular s7 and s7 edge. If you haven't already done a side by side with them will you..

Thanks

Posted from my AT&T S7 Edge

Maybe a little louder? I wasn't all that impressed with the GS7 in the first place when it comes to speakers.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Good morning. Was curious if anyone on staff had a reg S7 by ATT nearby to see if there were any measurable dbm differences in signal? The reasoning for the question is metal/glass vs plastic/poly body & if either affected reception. If not, no worries. Will check in the store once they are released. Had a S6A last year with no issues signal wise.

cfoote2667

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Nice to finally see the embargo lifted on the S7 Active, Samsungs event came and went on Friday and I was wondering what happened to this phone :)

Phil, first, thanks for taking the time to brief us on the S7A, I am still on a S3 (which, amazingly, still works great, a little slow but otherwise OK!) so looking forward to the massive battery on this phone which will really help with day to day work when I'm on the go.

How do you find the fit/finish of the S7A. I realize this is not a S7 Edge with a fancy metal backing, but do you find the buttons have a solid feel to them?

How did you find the finger print sensor, did it work the majority of the time you used it?

I realize updates for the Active series are always slower to come out then the regular S series, but the battery life (to me) trumps software updates. I am kind of at the point where I just need a phone 'to work'.

Thanks for the review,

Chris

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
How do you find the fit/finish of the S7A. I realize this is not a S7 Edge with a fancy metal backing, but do you find the buttons have a solid feel to them?

It's a nice mix of rugged-esque without really being too rugged, I think. You definitely get the feeling that this thing will stand up to more abuse than other phones. But it's also not HUGE, ya know?

And the buttons — at least in early use — seem plenty solid.

How did you find the finger print sensor, did it work the majority of the time you used it?

Worked fine. Though I think I've definitely decided that Samsung's fingerprint sensors aren't my favorite.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Good morning. Was curious if anyone on staff had a reg S7 by ATT nearby to see if there were any measurable dbm differences in signal? The reasoning for the question is metal/glass vs plastic/poly body & if either affected reception. If not, no worries. Will check in the store once they are released. Had a S6A last year with no issues signal wise.

Sure don't. Mine's on Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie