I've got the Galaxy S7 Active, you have questions —*fire away!

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
What are the corners made of? Looks like you scratched yours but I thought the corners were more plastic/rubber-ish this time around. Almost like a bumper case.

Last edited:

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Awesome video review. Just noticed in the review you live in Pensacola! My wife and I are looking to relocate to gulf breeze from the dreary Midwest. On a scale of 1-10 how awesome is the Pensacola area? :)

ric2001

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I keep reading that Samsung has put an "extra layer of protection" on the screen and that it's shatterproof. Is that really the case? Would you recommend getting a screen protector anyway?

cfoote2667

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Phil, any chance (since you have a review sample) you could try give the screen a rashing with some keys? Just trying to simulate being forgetful and putting the phone in my pocket with some keys in there (I'm usually pretty good about avoiding the pocket with the keys, but not always ;)) - thanks for answering all our questions, looking forward to Friday.

Chris

cfoote2667

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Two more questions - curious about handset loudness when on a call (did you find it reasonably loud compared to other phones) and is the speakerphone fairly loud at full volume?

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading that Samsung has put an "extra layer of protection" on the screen and that it's shatterproof. Is that really the case? Would you recommend getting a screen protector anyway?

Am seeing it written as a layer of polycarbonate & that it is shatter resistant. Big difference. Would think that the extra layer would suffice for the avg user.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I am guessing no on the 64gb version now that you can get a SD card with 200GB of storage.
Thanks. I am thinking about switching from windows phone to android and I am not entirely familiar with how sd cards work with android. Also a little nervous about all of the bloatware but thats a separate discussion.

cfoote2667

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Bloatware is easily disabled with an App on the Google Playstore. SD Cards work just like regular storage built into the phone, its the same type of memory used in cameras.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Bloatware is easily disabled with an App on the Google Playstore. SD Cards work just like regular storage built into the phone, its the same type of memory used in cameras.
Good to know. My lumia 950 has an sd card but lately its been a little flaky. Some apps dont seem to run very well/fast/smooth when on the card. Might have to do with the quality of the card more than the os though.
Going to the store tomorrow to get a hands on with the active. Anxious to see one in person.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good to know. My lumia 950 has an sd card but lately its been a little flaky. Some apps dont seem to run very well/fast/smooth when on the card. Might have to do with the quality of the card more than the os though.
Going to the store tomorrow to get a hands on with the active. Anxious to see one in person.

S7 Active will be built like a tank as far as phones go, similar to how the Lumia 950 is!

cfoote2667

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Got the S7 Active today, had to hit two AT&T stores to get a grey/black one but am in good shape (I've been without a new phone for four years, so it was time, coming from a S3). The S7 Active is a great phone, of course AT&T rep tried to sell me a case, a screen protector and DirecTV (lol) but I politely declined and got out of there in 20 minutes.

Overall feel of the phone is very nice, its slightly taller than my S3 from a top/bottom measurement, but I can definitely deal with that. The killer 4000mAH battery is really what sells the phone.

The display that AT&T is using for the S7 Active at the ATT store is pretty cool - hit a button and a clear cube, with a S7 Active inside, fills up with water. Pretty slick way of advertising the S7 Active.

Just getting rid of the bloatware now. So far the S7 Active seems to be working with my old ATT Microcell, so that is nice (I know the S6s had issues). Whether or not it will work 100% of the time, we will see.

Also, for those of you that are a fan of the LED notification that all Galaxy's have had...this one at least has a blue one, not sure if its multi-color, kind of a moot point with the Always On screen notifications but still nice to have a second option.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC