Picked up an S7 Active!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Had the S6 Active and sold it in 1 day on Craigslist here in DFW. I was not expecting to sell it so quickly. I intended to wait for a while to see if the price came down on the S7 Active, but I went by the store to check it out and in minutes walked out with a grey S7 Active!

The top 4 things I like over the S6 Active are:

Fingerprint sensor!- Now I can check Chase and BoA without putting in username and password like for my Nexus 6P and iPhone 6S+. Android is still dragging its feet on this feature. Still not enough apps use this feature...

Micro SD card! I have not had a device that used a micro SD card in a long time. I only had 64GB card and picked up a 200GB card the other day on amazon!

Battery- never had a problem with the 3500 mAh battery in the S6 Active so this should be even sweeter!

Marshmallow- I like being able to control what apps have access to my contacts, location etc. I know this will be coming to the S6 Active but enough already ATT. Update the S6 Active to Marshmallow! I realize the S7 Active will be slow for updates but it works great as is and of course I have a Nexus!

The only con so far is that it is a bit slippery on the sides so I should have my CIMO TPU case in a few hours! Gotta love Amazon delivering on a Sunday!

If you like the Active series, this is without a doubt the best featured Active device to date! I'll post more info as I spend more time with it.

I am running completely stock at this point with always on display tuned off for now.

S7 1.jpgS7 2.jpgs7 3.jpg

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my CIMO TPU case. $8 on Amazon. It is often the first case I buy to protect and provide a better grip on my devices. This is the clear model. Nice fit, lightweight and better grip on the slippery sides.

Cimo S7 1.jpgCimo S7 2.jpg

shamdawg

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Does the screen feel really small compared to your 6p or does it not bother you? How about the general fluidity and speed of the active compared to the 6p? I also have a 6p and was thinking of picking one up.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Does the screen feel really small compared to your 6p or does it not bother you? How about the general fluidity and speed of the active compared to the 6p? I also have a 6p and was thinking of picking one up.

It is really small compared to the 6P but I have not used my 6P as a phone is some time. I have just never gotten into it as a phone since imprint really did not work for apps and the network settings were not optimized when I got it and my iPhone did and was (I got them a week apart). I liked my S6 Active on the weekends for the smaller form factor (shorts) and better camera. The 6P is also the most difficult for me to type on for some reason. I have tried several keyboards including swiftkey and when I type on it, it looks like I have had about 6 bourbons with the typos. Not sure why. I have never had that issue on iPhone or Samsung devices.

Try it out! You have 14 days to return if you do not like it!

The S7 is very smooth and the screen is impressive. The home button as a fingerprint sensor is fast and reliable.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is that a glass screen protector?

Thanks for the impressions!

No screen protector yet. I have one on order but it does not arrive till Wednesday. Not sure it needs one after watching the video of it getting dropped on it's face 50 times and still not cracked...

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
No screen protector yet. I have one on order but it does not arrive till Wednesday. Not sure it needs one after watching the video of it getting dropped on it's face 50 times and still not cracked...

There is a video where a guy ran one through a washing machine. Stuffed it in a pants pocket along with some other items & ran a cycle. Phone still worked.

ric2001

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site

I watched the video as well and it was pretty impressive. However, I still want to get a screen protector for little nicks and stuff. Which one did you get?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Why a case? just for the added grip on the sides?

Pretty much and habit and OCD... When I sold my S6 Active the guy buying it was pretty stoked that it was in mint condition.

Gives me a better grip in the sides and makes it easy to slide in and out of my pocket.

Posted via my S7 Active with Samsung Pay!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Also tried Samsung Pay on the S7 Active yesterday. Once on a mag strip reader (no NFC) and at whole foods with NFC. Works great. Also got a $20 gift card for CPK for using it. I have received lots of great perks from using Samsung Pay since it launched!

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Got mine this afternoon. I have a question about the fast charger. After I finished a quick setup, I noticed battery was at 56%. The notification bar said it would take about 58 minutes to full charge. Does that sound about right from 56% using the fast charger?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got mine this afternoon. I have a question about the fast charger. After I finished a quick setup, I noticed battery was at 56%. The notification bar said it would take about 58 minutes to full charge. Does that sound about right from 56% using the fast charger?

Yes, but I have found that it is usually quicker than it states on the screen.

With the coupon that Samsung sent me for activating my S7 Active, I ordered the fast charging wireless charger!

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I got a Defender case on my new S7 Active so my phone is practically indestructible lol. I am frequently aloft 20 or 30 ft so I'm fairly certain my phone can handle a drop even from that high. Of course, I won't leave my phone in it full time as I'll usually carry it naked or with a thin case like the SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle that'll be released June 30th. I had that case on my S5 Active and it was a perfect fit and gave it a better grip.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Congrats the job just paid for mine so thats the only reason i have a carrier branded device. But this S7 Active is indeed a beast and built like a tank. I got the Green Camo Version in the mail today and already got it setup like the s6 Active that I lastly purchased with my own money.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got a Defender case on my new S7 Active so my phone is practically indestructible lol. I am frequently aloft 20 or 30 ft so I'm fairly certain my phone can handle a drop even from that high. Of course, I won't leave my phone in it full time as I'll usually carry it naked or with a thin case like the SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle that'll be released June 30th. I had that case on my S5 Active and it was a perfect fit and gave it a better grip.

Wow! Post a Picture! You could use that as a self defense weapon if needed lol!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Congrats the job just paid for mine so thats the only reason i have a carrier branded device. But this S7 Active is indeed a beast and built like a tank. I got the Green Camo Version in the mail today and already got it setup like the s6 Active that I lastly purchased with my own money.

Cool! What are your favorite features over the S6 Active?
I am loving the fingerprint sensor and SD card additions! The bigger battery cannot hurt! Going on 13 hours of up time and 64% left!

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Awesome planoman! Enjoy the S7 Active. I'm excited about this device as well, even though I don't have plans on purchasing it now. It seems like Samsung made significant improvements w/ the SD card, battery and fingerprint scanner. After seeing the video drop tests, I am convinced that Samsung made changes in the materials or design of the display. I would say that the S7 Active is more durable than its predecessor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois