Picked up an S7 Active!

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Cool! What are your favorite features over the S6 Active?
I am loving the fingerprint sensor and SD card additions! The bigger battery cannot hurt! Going on 13 hours of up time and 64% left!

Fingerprint sensor is nice dnr the SD card is good. One sportier war the amount of AT&T bloat is less than the wife's s7 and my previous s6 active which I found odd. Was less apps than usual to disabled. Does anyone else agree with that?

The bigger battery makes it a full demon that is beyond beastly. The phone body is wider though I guess fir the bogey battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Fingerprint sensor is nice dnr the SD card is good. One sportier war the amount of AT&T bloat is less than the wife's s7 and my previous s6 active which I found odd. Was less apps than usual to disabled. Does anyone else agree with that?

The bigger battery makes it a full demon that is beyond beastly. The phone body is wider though I guess fir the bogey battery.

Definitely agree on the increased bloat. I currently have 20 apps disabled. So glad to have the sd card for music, pics and videos.

Posted via my S7 Active with Samsung Pay!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Awesome planoman! Enjoy the S7 Active. I'm excited about this device as well, even though I don't have plans on purchasing it now. It seems like Samsung made significant improvements w/ the SD card, battery and fingerprint scanner. After seeing the video drop tests, I am convinced that Samsung made changes in the materials or design of the display. I would say that the S7 Active is more durable than its predecessor.

They really did a nice job on the S7 Active. Any of the improvements alone would not have compelled me to upgrade from the S6 Active but the three big improvments pushed me off the fence to get it.
I was able to sell my S6 Actice in day and put that cash to my S7 Active.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
It's a water resistant/ Mil-Speced phone. If you submerged it than the screen and touch buttons wouldn't work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the phone is water resistant and still not intended to be actually USED under water. I don't think Samsung has officially stated this phone is meant to be used underwater...just that if you drop it in water, you're not screwed.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Awesome planoman! Enjoy the S7 Active. I'm excited about this device as well, even though I don't have plans on purchasing it now. It seems like Samsung made significant improvements w/ the SD card, battery and fingerprint scanner. After seeing the video drop tests, I am convinced that Samsung made changes in the materials or design of the display. I would say that the S7 Active is more durable than its predecessor.
They are advertising it as an extra polycarbonate layer on the screen to make it shatter resistant. I remember when I bought the S6A they did not advertise that anything was different about the screen on it other than it may be slightly recessed vs the standard S6 at the time.

If only it didn't have the physical buttons :(

Was always under the impression that the physical buttons were there from the start for those wearing gloves to quickly access around the device.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the phone is water resistant and still not intended to be actually USED under water. I don't think Samsung has officially stated this phone is meant to be used underwater...just that if you drop it in water, you're not screwed.

You can use it underwater for short period of time.

Was always under the impression that the physical buttons were there from the start for those wearing gloves to quickly access around the device.

The physical buttons are also there if the phone gets wet. Touch buttons don't work well when wet or underwater if you want to take some under water photos.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I bought my S7A on Friday and coming from my Note 5 it's a huge difference in performance. Especially the battery life. I'm really loving this device the smaller footprint is actually a nice change coming from the Note 5 and iPhone 6S+. The only reason why I skipped out on the S6 active is because of the lack of finger print reader. I use Samsung Pay a lot and not having the finger print reader was a huge deal breaker. The 4000mah battery is a plus and could careless nowadays about the SD card since I have 1TB Google storage plan.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
They are advertising it as an extra polycarbonate layer on the screen to make it shatter resistant. I remember when I bought the S6A they did not advertise that anything was different about the screen on it other than it may be slightly recessed vs the standard S6 at the time.

I have seen the info on the polycarbonate layer but wanted to learn more. I heard that makes it very shatter proof but more susceptible to scratches? I have a tempered glass protector coming tomorrow and want to know if it will be fine to install the glass protector or if that will somehow limit or damage my screen?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought my S7A on Friday and coming from my Note 5 it's a huge difference in performance. Especially the battery life. I'm really loving this device the smaller footprint is actually a nice change coming from the Note 5 and iPhone 6S+. The only reason why I skipped out on the S6 active is because of the lack of finger print reader. I use Samsung Pay a lot and not having the finger print reader was a huge deal breaker. The 4000mah battery is a plus and could careless nowadays about the SD card since I have 1TB Google storage plan.

Agree on Samsung Pay without a fingerprint sensor being a pain! I have used it with the S7 Active and it is pretty sweet! I also have the 1TB of storage, but love having the SD card especially with 32GB of internal storage. I was trying to show a colleague pictures of a storm shelter we just put in and I was trying to get it but was inside a hotel for a meeting and had not hooked up to wifi and could not pull up the pictures...a rare example but I wished I had my recent pics on a SD card vs the cloud at that time! Plus I often take videos of my children and having the video on the phone is so much faster than trying to play a video from the cloud IMO. Love having 180+ GB free on my device!

I am just really pleased with this S7 Active!

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have seen the info on the polycarbonate layer but wanted to learn more. I heard that makes it very shatter proof but more susceptible to scratches? I have a tempered glass protector coming tomorrow and want to know if it will be fine to install the glass protector or if that will somehow limit or damage my screen?

Which glass screen protector did you get? Can you post pics once it's on? I'm really worried about the problems I've been reading about with the screen scratching very easily.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Do their clear cases yellow over time? Have you ever tried the matte black ones?

I have never had one yellow but I have had them turn black at the points they flex cause I take them off and on so often to change my SIM. I had a diztronic matte black but they are not as grippy as the gloss type TPU although they would most likely be more grippy than the metal.

Last edited:

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I picked up the gray / black model. So far so good, paired with a Gear S2, great combo. I do like the case option to protect the camera lens unless they come up with an option to protect the lens on the back. I think that this will be my daily driver for awhile. Thanks Plano for the excellent observations and insight!!!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my screen protectors today. The link from Amazon is a a few posts up. I received two tempered glass protectors for $8
They fit fine and are typical glass protector. I have a few bubbles in the upper left. I tried 3 times to reset that area but they remain. Luckily they are not in the viewable area.

Attachments

• Screen Protector 1.jpg
    Screen Protector 1.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Protector 2.jpg
    Screen Protector 2.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 41

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Got my screen protectors today. The link from Amazon is a a few posts up. I received two tempered glass protectors for $8
They fit fine and are typical glass protector. I have a few bubbles in the upper left. I tried 3 times to reset that area but they remain. Luckily they are not in the viewable area.

Like that screen protector quite a bit. Does it interfere with hitting the buttons at all? The one I had on my S6 made the buttons more difficult to use because the screen protector was higher(thickness) than the buttons.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Like that screen protector quite a bit. Does it interfere with hitting the buttons at all? The one I had on my S6 made the buttons more difficult to use because the screen protector was higher(thickness) than the buttons.

I was worried about that. So far no issues hitting the sensor or back and recents buttons. The hole is big enough that it still allows good access and feel of the buttons. They are not as pronounced as they are without a screen protector, but so far not an issue.