Galaxy S7 Active Screen is not so tough

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had my S7 Active for about a week and I really love it. But this morning I noticed a small spot on the bottom of the screen. In the area of the space bar when the keyboard is on the screen.

I have not dropped it and I never place it face down on anything. I try not to put anything else in my pocket with the phone. I have no idea how it happened.

By contrast I found an old BlackBerry Z10. The battery no longer charges and I wanted to destroy it before tossing it in the trash. I punched it several times hard with a screwdriver. Not a scratch.

I guess the "active" screen is not a tough as I hoped.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The screen has a plastic coating over the Gorilla Glass to make it shatter resistant. That plastic coating scratches quite easily so I had a Zagg Glass protector installed. See this video of the S7A getting the torture test:
https://youtu.be/aNuUrh9TI-o

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The screen has a plastic coating over the Gorilla Glass to make it shatter resistant. That plastic coating scratches quite easily so I had a Zagg Glass protector installed. See this video of the S7A getting the torture test:
https://youtu.be/aNuUrh9TI-o

That was painful to watch...and I am glad I got a tempered glass screen protector on my screen quickly. Hopefully Samsung offers the plastic screen replacements.

autoentropy

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I really dont see them offering the plastic replacements. I really dont see how you would take it off the phone. Big design flaw I found out after I purchased it...

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Me too. Had a friend put on a Bodyguardz glass protector. He had a difficult time even though he has applied many protectors. Don't know if it's the quality of the protector or Samsung's plastic coating. He got all the bubbles out, but after 24 hrs there were several spots that didn't come out so I just removed it. I wish I had known the fragility of the screen before purchase.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I really dont see them offering the plastic replacements. I really dont see how you would take it off the phone. Big design flaw I found out after I purchased it...

Haven't checked Samsung's site, but AT&T describes the screen as...

5.1-inch Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 with removable polycarbonate top layer

So it would seem that replacements should be offered

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Me too. Had a friend put on a Bodyguardz glass protector. He had a difficult time even though he has applied many protectors. Don't know if it's the quality of the protector or Samsung's plastic coating. He got all the bubbles out, but after 24 hrs there were several spots that didn't come out so I just removed it. I wish I had known the fragility of the screen before purchase.
It must be the Bodyguardz or the installation because the Zagg I had installed has zero bubbles or lint underneath. Crystal clear.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I may go by the Zagg kiosk at the mall tonight and see if they have a protector for the Active. I don't think their website shows it, but I know it's out. I know the Zagg guy there and he's very good so if they have one I might try again.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I may give those a try. The guy at the Zagg kiosk didn't have the Active protectors and even if he did he said they would be around $49.95. I'm not going to pay that much. The ones you found are worth a try.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I may give those a try. The guy at the Zagg kiosk didn't have the Active protectors and even if he did he said they would be around $49.95. I'm not going to pay that much. The ones you found are worth a try.
They are $35 at the AT&T store and they will install them for you. I get 50% off accessories so I got it for $17.50 installed. Plus I still get the lifetime guarantee and replacements.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree, but I'm still reeling from having to pay $35 for a Bodyguardz protector that 3 AT&T employees couldn't install correctly. Bodyguardz sent me a replacement so I guess I'll either try it myself or find someone who can. I didn't realize these things were that difficult to install.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but I'm still reeling from having to pay $35 for a Bodyguardz protector that 3 AT&T employees couldn't install correctly. Bodyguardz sent me a replacement so I guess I'll either try it myself or find someone who can. I didn't realize these things were that difficult to install.

Yeah they are a pain if you don't have a real stable hand and a good eye. I've always messed them and no longer try.

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah they are a pain if you don't have a real stable hand and a good eye. I've always messed them and no longer try.
The Bodyguardz for my S5 Active came with form/guide that positioned the protector perfectly on the phone. Does the Bodyguardz for the S7/Active come with a form/guide?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers