08-18-2016 05:51 AM
37 12
tools
    I've had my S7 Active for about a week and I really love it. But this morning I noticed a small spot on the bottom of the screen. In the area of the space bar when the keyboard is on the screen.

I have not dropped it and I never place it face down on anything. I try not to put anything else in my pocket with the phone. I have no idea how it happened.

By contrast I found an old BlackBerry Z10. The battery no longer charges and I wanted to destroy it before tossing it in the trash. I punched it several times hard with a screwdriver. Not a scratch.

I guess the "active" screen is not a tough as I hoped.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-19-2016 10:32 AM
    Can you postyou post pics of the damage?
    06-19-2016 11:31 AM
    The screen has a plastic coating over the Gorilla Glass to make it shatter resistant. That plastic coating scratches quite easily so I had a Zagg Glass protector installed. See this video of the S7A getting the torture test:
    06-19-2016 11:47 AM
    The screen has a plastic coating over the Gorilla Glass to make it shatter resistant. That plastic coating scratches quite easily so I had a Zagg Glass protector installed. See this video of the S7A getting the torture test:
    That was painful to watch...and I am glad I got a tempered glass screen protector on my screen quickly. Hopefully Samsung offers the plastic screen replacements.
    06-19-2016 12:07 PM
    I really dont see them offering the plastic replacements. I really dont see how you would take it off the phone. Big design flaw I found out after I purchased it...
    06-21-2016 09:41 AM
    I really dont see them offering the plastic replacements. I really dont see how you would take it off the phone. Big design flaw I found out after I purchased it...
    Agree on the design flaw. Phone should come with tempered glass protector.
    06-21-2016 09:44 AM
    Me too. Had a friend put on a Bodyguardz glass protector. He had a difficult time even though he has applied many protectors. Don't know if it's the quality of the protector or Samsung's plastic coating. He got all the bubbles out, but after 24 hrs there were several spots that didn't come out so I just removed it. I wish I had known the fragility of the screen before purchase.
    06-21-2016 01:53 PM
    Does having the Zagg protector on it interfere with its use when it gets wet?
    06-21-2016 11:35 PM
    Haven't checked Samsung's site, but AT&T describes the screen as...

5.1-inch Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 with removable polycarbonate top layer

So it would seem that replacements should be offered
    06-22-2016 09:56 AM
    Not that I would but wonder if that "removable layer" is removable by the user?
    06-22-2016 11:43 AM
    Me too. Had a friend put on a Bodyguardz glass protector. He had a difficult time even though he has applied many protectors. Don't know if it's the quality of the protector or Samsung's plastic coating. He got all the bubbles out, but after 24 hrs there were several spots that didn't come out so I just removed it. I wish I had known the fragility of the screen before purchase.
    It must be the Bodyguardz or the installation because the Zagg I had installed has zero bubbles or lint underneath. Crystal clear.
    06-23-2016 05:22 PM
    I may go by the Zagg kiosk at the mall tonight and see if they have a protector for the Active. I don't think their website shows it, but I know it's out. I know the Zagg guy there and he's very good so if they have one I might try again.
    06-24-2016 07:55 AM
    I went with this one and there were a few bubbles initially but they have since disappeared. You get two in the package and these are as good as any I have used for only $8. I have pictures on my Amazon review.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Dma...cUvbUpU5238027
    06-24-2016 09:49 AM
    Thanks. I may give those a try. The guy at the Zagg kiosk didn't have the Active protectors and even if he did he said they would be around $49.95. I'm not going to pay that much. The ones you found are worth a try.
    planoman likes this.
    06-24-2016 05:24 PM
    Thanks. I may give those a try. The guy at the Zagg kiosk didn't have the Active protectors and even if he did he said they would be around $49.95. I'm not going to pay that much. The ones you found are worth a try.
    That's a rip off
    06-24-2016 09:37 PM
    They are $35 at the AT&T store and they will install them for you. I get 50% off accessories so I got it for $17.50 installed. Plus I still get the lifetime guarantee and replacements.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.
    06-25-2016 07:38 AM
    I agree, but I'm still reeling from having to pay $35 for a Bodyguardz protector that 3 AT&T employees couldn't install correctly. Bodyguardz sent me a replacement so I guess I'll either try it myself or find someone who can. I didn't realize these things were that difficult to install.
    06-25-2016 08:05 AM
    They are $35 at the AT&T store and they will install them for you. I get 50% off accessories so I got it for $17.50 installed. Plus I still get the lifetime guarantee and replacements.
    Nice thanks for the info
    06-25-2016 11:54 AM
    I agree, but I'm still reeling from having to pay $35 for a Bodyguardz protector that 3 AT&T employees couldn't install correctly. Bodyguardz sent me a replacement so I guess I'll either try it myself or find someone who can. I didn't realize these things were that difficult to install.
    Yeah they are a pain if you don't have a real stable hand and a good eye. I've always messed them and no longer try.
    06-25-2016 11:58 AM
    Yeah they are a pain if you don't have a real stable hand and a good eye. I've always messed them and no longer try.
    The Bodyguardz for my S5 Active came with form/guide that positioned the protector perfectly on the phone. Does the Bodyguardz for the S7/Active come with a form/guide?
    06-25-2016 04:00 PM
    Not sure I don't have a bodyguardz
    06-25-2016 09:38 PM
    Has anyone tried to remove the "removable polycarbonate top layer"? I think the gorilla glass itself is sufficient for me... With a zagg glass over it of course.
    06-26-2016 04:24 AM
    Has anyone tried to remove the "removable polycarbonate top layer"? I think the gorilla glass itself is sufficient for me... With a zagg glass over it of course.
    Why would you want to if you're going to put a Zagg on it anyway? You'd be removing the shatter resistance.
    06-26-2016 08:48 AM
    Yeah exactly just cover it up? Have u guys seen the video where they drop it face down 50 times and it doesn't break? Granted it's an even surface but $hit.

Posted via the Android Central App
    planoman likes this.
    06-26-2016 11:38 AM
    The Bodyguardz for my S5 Active came with form/guide that positioned the protector perfectly on the phone. Does the Bodyguardz for the S7/Active come with a form/guide?
    I just opened the Bodyguardz replacement screen they sent. I don't see a form/guide. What is included is the protector in a clear protective sleeve, a little suction cup, a microfiber cloth, a squeegee card, a couple of dust removal stickers.
    The instructions are minimal as follows:
    1) Attach the suction cup to the protector
    2) Holding on to the suction cup, peel off the back liner, then align the protector over your device and gently lay it down
    3) Press and slide your finger along the center of the protector, removing the suction cup as you do.
    4) Use the provided squeegee card and/or microfiber cloth to push any bubbles to the edges. Any remaining bubbles will work themselves out
    within 24-48 hours.
    I may give it another try myself when I'm in the mood and feel lucky.
    pjniez likes this.
    06-26-2016 02:00 PM
37 12