Water damage...

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So I just got back from taking my phone on vacation with me to the beach. I used it for maybe 10 minutes each day in the pool and in the ocean for taking photos. Never more than that and never more than waste deep. After doing this my power button has now become completely unresponsive and I was able to actually blow water out from behind the home button as it was unresponsive as well. The home button now works but two days in and still no power button. Going to take it to ATT tomorrow to see if they can exchange it. Very disappointing for a phone I have been loving so far.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
So I just got back from taking my phone on vacation with me to the beach. I used it for maybe 10 minutes each day in the pool and in the ocean for taking photos. Never more than that and never more than waste deep. After doing this my power button has now become completely unresponsive and I was able to actually blow water out from behind the home button as it was unresponsive as well. The home button now works but two days in and still no power button. Going to take it to ATT tomorrow to see if they can exchange it. Very disappointing for a phone I have been loving so far.

Don't tell them u used it in salt water. Most water resistant phones don't cover u for salt water.

Posted via the Android Central App

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't tell them u used it in salt water. Most water resistant phones don't cover u for salt water.

Posted via the Android Central App

What you just told the OP is one a blatant lie of irresponsibility and two wrong in all since of the word. Samsung specifically states to not expose the phone to salt water as it will damage the phone which is the OP's fault in the first place. IF I was at&t and samsung I would tell the OP tough luck as they will most likely be able to state its the OP's fault. This is the reason exchanges and warranty service has gotten so bad as people don't want to take responsibility for causing damage to stuff. Then someone comes with a legitimate issue that was an manufacturing defect and they get run around because people like you and the OP abuse the system.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
What you just told the OP is one a blatant lie of irresponsibility and two wrong in all since of the word. Samsung specifically states to not expose the phone to salt water as it will damage the phone which is the OP's fault in the first place. IF I was at&t and samsung I would tell the OP tough luck as they will most likely be able to state its the OP's fault. This is the reason exchanges and warranty service has gotten so bad as people don't want to take responsibility for causing damage to stuff. Then someone comes with a legitimate issue that was an manufacturing defect and they get run around because people like you and the OP abuse the system.

Ok... So can you please show me where Samsung states this exactly?

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

This is the note on the s7 active sale page on AT&T where you would think this said note would be:

*IP68 water-resistant in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 min. Rinse residue/dry when wet.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

Here you go Mr. Phone Police. This is from the Active's warranty information from Samsung's website:

• Do not expose the device to salt water or ionized water, or to
water over 5.0 feet deep for more than 30 minutes. If your
device is exposed to fresh water, dry it thoroughly with a
clean, soft cloth. If the device is exposed to any liquid other
than fresh water, rinse the device with fresh water
immediately and dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth.
Failure to rinse the device in fresh water and dry it as
instructed may cause the device to suffer from operability or
cosmetic issues.

It is the consumer's responsibility to read these things I suppose. I wish more people would. Here is the link to the warranty:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...TT_SM-G891A_GS7-Active_EN_HS_MM_6.0_FINAL.pdf

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Here you go Mr. Phone Police. This is from the Active's warranty information from Samsung's website:

• Do not expose the device to salt water or ionized water, or to
water over 5.0 feet deep for more than 30 minutes. If your
device is exposed to fresh water, dry it thoroughly with a
clean, soft cloth. If the device is exposed to any liquid other
than fresh water, rinse the device with fresh water
immediately and dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth.
Failure to rinse the device in fresh water and dry it as
instructed may cause the device to suffer from operability or
cosmetic issues.

It is the consumer's responsibility to read these things I suppose. I wish more people would. Here is the link to the warranty:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...TT_SM-G891A_GS7-Active_EN_HS_MM_6.0_FINAL.pdf

Very helpful and probably the first time I have heard that about salt water. I am pretty sure in Phils review he is at a saltwater beach in FL so I am not sure he knows this either.
Thanks for posting.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Didn't even have to respond as i knew the answer would be posted. The keyword with these phones are that they are water resistant ......not water proof. Resistant means a splash of water, spill, or the occasional rain shower of non high pressure fresh water. Anyone I know personally knows salt water kills most electronic devices period unless they are made specifically for salt water. As in the above post of the warranty you rinse it off and clean it immediately after it is exposed to salt water. But Samsung also reserves the right to deny warranty as they have listed the devices as water resistant and not water proof.

I'm not trying to be the phone police, I'm just saying people need to educate themselves as that causes a lot of issues since most don't ever do it. Thats like going to court and telling the judge you didn't know that what you might have did was a crime. The judge replies back that failure to understand the law or know what a crime is, is not a defense against being charged and prosecuted for said crime.

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm having similar issues.

Purchased the phone June 10th.

Phone gets wet June 26th.

Front facing camera retains moisture.

Bring to AT&T today, 28th, and they say I am outside of the 14 day window where they can replace. I had to contact Samsung who wants me to send the phone to them for them to repair. 2-day shipping to get there, 5-7 days to repair, 2-days back. Meanwhile, I won't have a phone during this process.

Galaxy S7 Not-so-active.
DSCN1936.jpg
20160628_124211.jpg

Attachments

• 20160628_124211.jpg
    20160628_124211.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 63

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Quick update. Att was nice enough to give me an exchange. I was still within my 14 day. In regards to some of the earlier posts, Samsung needs to more clearly state to NEVER use in salt water. Considering the freaking att display has the phone being submerged in water, your average consumer assumes a degree of actual water proofing and not simple water resistance. Average layperson like myself doesn't realize that salt water affects it different than regular water.

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Good thing you aren't ATT or Samsung lol. ATT was much nicer to me than it appears you would have been 😃

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm having similar issues.

Purchased the phone June 10th.

Phone gets wet June 26th.

Front facing camera retains moisture.

Bring to AT&T today, 28th, and they say I am outside of the 14 day window where they can replace. I had to contact Samsung who wants me to send the phone to them for them to repair. 2-day shipping to get there, 5-7 days to repair, 2-days back. Meanwhile, I won't have a phone during this process.

Galaxy S7 Not-so-active.
View attachment 230979
View attachment 230981

Fresh water only?

That doesn't make sense you should still be within the warranty period.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you but I would say 90% of consumers know hardly anything about the phone that they have in their pocket the other day. I just wish they would put up a disclaimer somewhere about salt water. They have this color quick start guide in the box where it would've been perfect for them to mention it. Nobody reads that black and white booklet with the warranty info on it.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you but I would say 90% of consumers know hardly anything about the phone that they have in their pocket the other day. I just wish they would put up a disclaimer somewhere about salt water. They have this color quick start guide in the box where it would've been perfect for them to mention it. Nobody reads that black and white booklet with the warranty info on it.

I agree

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

And that's samsung fault cause you didn't read the warranty..nope that all on you salt water will kill most things reason why you don't drink it

Posted via my note 5 are gs7 edge

ndhusmc

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
To the nay sayers, I bought a S7 Active on June 22nd and currently have water damage and salt water was not involved. My phone was dirty so I rinsed it off in the sink like I have with phones with LifeProof cases in the past, much less than what is advertised by Samsung. When I went to go to sleep and charge my phone I received a warning telling me that moisture was detected and charging was disabled. It gave me tips like blowing out the charging port and wiping the phone down with a soft cloth. I wiped my phone down, blew out the port, plugged it back in and went to sleep without paying it any mind after it started charging.

When I woke up I identified excessive moisture built up on the front and rear camera lenses completely blocking the lens (similar to OP). The phone was still functional otherwise (all radios, screens, etc). While at work today I had my phone in my truck and upon return the water was still in the lens and the screen was shorting out. Due to the heat of being in my truck it also warped the bezel around the camera. It makes me so sad because this phone is amazing (battery life, performance, quality). I bought it from Best Buy and they won't accept it back because of the water, and Samsung is offering for me to send it in for "evaluation".
20160705_171241_1.jpg

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
To the nay sayers, I bought a S7 Active on June 22nd and currently have water damage and salt water was not involved. My phone was dirty so I rinsed it off in the sink like I have with phones with LifeProof cases in the past, much less than what is advertised by Samsung. When I went to go to sleep and charge my phone I received a warning telling me that moisture was detected and charging was disabled. It gave me tips like blowing out the charging port and wiping the phone down with a soft cloth. I wiped my phone down, blew out the port, plugged it back in and went to sleep without paying it any mind after it started charging.

When I woke up I identified excessive moisture built up on the front and rear camera lenses completely blocking the lens (similar to OP). The phone was still functional otherwise (all radios, screens, etc). While at work today I had my phone in my truck and upon return the water was still in the lens and the screen was shorting out. Due to the heat of being in my truck it also warped the bezel around the camera. It makes me so sad because this phone is amazing (battery life, performance, quality). I bought it from Best Buy and they won't accept it back because of the water, and Samsung is offering for me to send it in for "evaluation".
View attachment 231589

Ugh. Sorry to hear