Water damage...

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Full...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5269246 Here is the link to the one I bought I think it was like 16-20 bucks its a great case lots of protection, ports are covered, and a screen protector, looks really sharp on the gold color.

good to know next time i go to an active war zone (only being half-sarcastic; i was in Feodosia during the Russian incursion/invasion of the Crimea in 2014, visiting friends), and my S7A is gold.

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
To the nay sayers, I bought a S7 Active on June 22nd and currently have water damage and salt water was not involved. My phone was dirty so I rinsed it off in the sink like I have with phones with LifeProof cases in the past, much less than what is advertised by Samsung. When I went to go to sleep and charge my phone I received a warning telling me that moisture was detected and charging was disabled. It gave me tips like blowing out the charging port and wiping the phone down with a soft cloth. I wiped my phone down, blew out the port, plugged it back in and went to sleep without paying it any mind after it started charging.

When I woke up I identified excessive moisture built up on the front and rear camera lenses completely blocking the lens (similar to OP). The phone was still functional otherwise (all radios, screens, etc). While at work today I had my phone in my truck and upon return the water was still in the lens and the screen was shorting out. Due to the heat of being in my truck it also warped the bezel around the camera. It makes me so sad because this phone is amazing (battery life, performance, quality). I bought it from Best Buy and they won't accept it back because of the water, and Samsung is offering for me to send it in for "evaluation".
View attachment 231589

This is very similar to what happened to me.
Made Samsung aware of issue on 6/28/16
Sent in phone and they received on 7/5/16
Still no phone. "Waiting for part" to repair.

What did you do? Did you send it in?

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Update to my situation: I received an email from Samsung today telling me that my repair is on hold while they wait on a new part. Maybe new seals?

"Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

Please be advised that your Samsung service ticket [##########] has been placed on a temporary hold due to an unavailable part.

As soon as the part becomes available, your device will be repaired and shipped promptly.

If you have any additional questions, please call us at 1-800-SAMSUNG and reference Ticket Number: ###########.

Thank you for your patience,
Samsung Electronics America

Received the same message here.....

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
if you follow up with samsung, they will likely go out of their way to keep you happy. has worked for me in the past; just mention how inconvenienced you were and disappointed, considering other options, but willing to assume it was a fluke. S7 Active costs maybe $350 from production to delivery, say they eat another $150 in shipping, parts, labor/repair costs, thats still about $200 in profit they made, and to keep a customer they are usually willing to fork over some nice perks or accessories.

Apple is the leader in this respect, and Samsung is trying to replicate this and become the premiere phone manufacturer. Don't abuse it, but good customer service is always going above and beyond for fluke issues to save face, and they have a large profit margin already.

I have tried to show my disappointment, but they have not budged yet. They just say sorry and have agreed to expedite my shipment to overnight once it is repaired.

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Update:

Called Samsung this afternoon, waited 10-15 minutes on hold, to talk to someone to find out the status of my phone. (972-422-9505)

They said they were waiting for a part to repair. I asked for more details and explained my situation. I was put on hold and then told that the part was for the home button and that it would be in tomorrow (7/19/16). I expressed my dismay and they showed little sympathy. They said that this was a priority and that it would be fixed and sent out on the same day. This means that I would receive the phone on the 20th (they gave me overnight shipping due to my unhappiness).

Not holding my breath on this one, but we will see.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Update:

Called Samsung this afternoon, waited 10-15 minutes on hold, to talk to someone to find out the status of my phone. (972-422-9505)

They said they were waiting for a part to repair. I asked for more details and explained my situation. I was put on hold and then told that the part was for the home button and that it would be in tomorrow (7/19/16). I expressed my dismay and they showed little sympathy. They said that this was a priority and that it would be fixed and sent out on the same day. This means that I would receive the phone on the 20th (they gave me overnight shipping due to my unhappiness).

Not holding my breath on this one, but we will see.

Good luck. Keep us posted

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Keep on them about it, mention your valuable time wasted, being without a device and inconvenienced (if you work in something like real estate, stocks/bonds, or insurance or are self employed as i used to be, mention that it caused problems with work/profit loss/getting back to boss/employees/clients etc), and that you are genuinely dissatisfied with their repair process; took forever. might want to mention apple just sent you a replacement refurb and you didnt have WEEKS of downtime you couldnt afford.

Turboeclipse99

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Here is my update. I hade the same problem
*07/20/2016//13:41:04//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/20/2016 12:40 PM-Gabriela Torres: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced LCD - Replaced Component - Replaced PBA
*07/12/2016//20:51:58//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/12/2016 7:51 PM-Luis Garcia: The unit is repair-pending.
*07/11/2016//16:50:25//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
LCD AND REAR CAME IN WITH SCRATCHES.
*07/11/2016//10:52:16//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/11/2016 9:39 AM-Monica Angon: Accessory: SIM CARD TRAY
*07/11/2016//10:52:15//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/11/2016 9:39 AM-Monica Angon: The unit has been received. Pack Condition: Fair Packaging (Box & Cushion)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160720-175710.png
    Screenshot_20160720-175710.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 14

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Replaced:
LCD
Cosmetic
Component (home button they alluded to?)
PBA (main board)

Can't I just get a new phone?

Wondering if I should expect my phone today. Plan on calling to get more information.

2016-07-21_8-18-41.jpg

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Replaced:
LCD
Cosmetic
Component (home button they alluded to?)
PBA (main board)

Can't I just get a new phone?

Wondering if I should expect my phone today. Plan on calling to get more information.

View attachment 232762

I feel your pain. To be this long out of a device is atrocious. I went through the same thing last year and this whole process makes insurance worth the money it costs.

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Summary of my phone calls with Samsung today:

1st call - 27 minutes (with several 3 minute holds)
I went into this call requesting a refund. I was told that Samsung does not do refunds. I was persistent, but to no avail. I was transferred to someone in the service center who could "help" me further. I got on the phone with this person and the call was dropped.

2nd call - 20 minutes
I made it back on the phone with someone who claimed to be the "highest up"/"end all be all" regarding the issue. Again, I requested a refund. They declined. I asked to speak with someone else and was forwarded to a voicemail box that was indiscernible.

My thoughts:
I understand I did not buy the phone from Samsung, they kept telling me I need to go to AT&T, the problem is that AT&T wouldn't recognize the device as it stood after 14 days let alone the month and a half it has been now. The frustrating part is that they seem to not care at all. They don't seem to understand that it is their fault that the device needed repair and they should help mend this relationship between myself, AT&T, and Samsung. They seem to forget who sold the $800 device to AT&T to begin with and who is collecting from AT&T.

Action item:
Plead my case at an AT&T store.

(FYI - I still don't have the phone and don't know when I will receive it. Apparently they must run it through tests before it goes out the door.)

Rds030903

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
*07/21/2016//13:53:16//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/21/2016 12:52 PM-Antonio Lucena: The unit is repair-pending.
*07/21/2016//13:52:21//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/21/2016 12:52 PM-Antonio Lucena: The Unit did not pass Quality Assurance Check.
*07/21/2016//13:52:15//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/21/2016 12:51 PM-Antonio Lucena: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced Component - Replaced Cosmetic - Replaced LCD

- Replaced PBA
*07/20/2016//19:59:43//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/20/2016 6:59 PM-Antonio Lucena: The unit is repair-pending.
*07/13/2016//10:56:46//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/13/2016 9:55 AM-Cecilia Garza: Accessory: sim card tray
*07/13/2016//10:56:46//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/13/2016 9:55 AM-Cecilia Garza: The unit has been received. Pack Condition: Fair Packaging (Box & Cushion)

Damit mine failed qa chk

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not here to bash Samsung or the S7 Active or S6 Active, but think about this:

After a device is repaired, is it ever the same? Is there any assurance that it is more water resistant than before?

If you see teardown videos (S6 active), the front of the device must be heated to loosen the adhesive holding the front panel on.

What assurance does one have that the repair center properly resealed that device and the gaskets or whatever else is in place to keep it IP68 compliant?

Don't think for a second that they're sitting there soak testing them in water for several minutes.

Posted via the Android Central App

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not here to bash Samsung or the S7 Active or S6 Active, but think about this:

After a device is repaired, is it ever the same? Is there any assurance that it is more water resistant than before?

If you see teardown videos (S6 active), the front of the device must be heated to loosen the adhesive holding the front panel on.

What assurance does one have that the repair center properly resealed that device and the gaskets or whatever else is in place to keep it IP68 compliant?

Don't think for a second that they're sitting there soak testing them in water for several minutes.

No way they are soak testing them.

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
That is tough to hear @Rds030903, and @Law2138 you are absolutely right. Doesn't make me feel any more warm and bubbly that my phone has been taken apart and pieced back together.

I have been on the phone with AT&T and Samsung for hours today. I started with Samsung, as I laid out in an earlier post, and they directed me to AT&T. I spoke to a representative who was extremely helpful. It got to the point where I gave them my Samsung claim number and they contacted Samsung directly. Even they were not able to get Samsung to budge.

I then called Samsung again and requested a refund and will not accept any less. They continued to say that Samsung does not refund and asked me to hold while they spoke to upper management. The two-three minute holds are getting old. They tried to wave an accessory in front of my face, but I told them I want my money back. The Samsung representative told me that it is the responsibility of AT&T. I asked them when was this the case and they said there were some meetings that took place today addressing this issue.

I was transferred from Samsung to AT&T.

AT&T had me retell the complete story back to them.

Annnnndddd AT&T won't help me!!!!

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If they don't get this right quickly, I'm willing to bet this is the last Active device we'll see.

The gap has been closed even more between the S7 and S7 Active.

How can this manufacturing flaw only affect a small number of devices? Wouldn't the process be the same up until they discover the fault?

I have a hard time believing that it is some. What varies is the number of people who expose their device to water and when. Some will never have this issue, but there will be a constant stream of water damaged actives coming in for repair from those that do. The cost of repair will cut into their sales and they'll realize it's not worth the trouble.

Maybe they'll focus on making the S8 100% water resistant with a shatterproof display. All this fish tank dunking, lil Wayne champagne Poppin marketing has Samsung in the spotlight. They definitely dropped the ball on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech