Water damage...

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Hey here is a silly question...everyone who has a phone in for a water repair...what color is it...just curious...trying to see if there is a pattern

rds090903

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Mine was black, my wife's was gold. She went through 3 during the 14 day trail. One got damaged for water, one just blinked every 5 secs. The third one is fine at the moment.

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Any update swaggdaddy

Sorry, I took the weekend to have a few drinks and not think about Samsung or AT&T.

Here is where I stand.

By the EOD Friday (7/22) I had spoken with Samsung and AT&T, in that order. Samsung informed me that my phone was being sent to AT&T to facilitate my refund. I explained to them how they have lost my loyalty, but they did not seem to care enough to throw me a bone. They forwarded me to a generic customer service AT&T number whom had no idea what I was talking about. I had to go through my story with a refund claim customer service rep who then forwarded me to someone in the warranty center. I again told my story and was told by AT&T that this is not how a refund/warranty/repair experience works. They said there is no address for Samsung to send the phone to AT&T for them to receive. I made it clear that this was not a regular situation and that they must understand the circumstances. They weren't convinced so I asked them to call Samsung themselves. They agreed and I was put on hold.

Now they understood and were able to aid in clearing up all of this confusion. They were able to find out that Samsung was sending the phone back to me and that from there I would work with the AT&T warranty center on my claim. Oddly enough, I received an email from Samsung shortly after this phone call outlining how my phone was repaired and on its way to me.

I questioned Samsung through Twitter DMs, as I was determined to get some clarification though whatever means necessary, of how my phone was "magically" repaired so "quickly" after I began complaining and how it "passed" QA when others here have not been so lucky. They apologized for the confusion and told me they would call me when they were able to clear things up. I have yet to receive a phone call.

Today(7/25) I am expecting my LG V10 in the mail from AT&T. The Active was also on pace to arrive at my home today, but I was not present to sign off so I will have to pick it up from a UPS location tomorrow.

The last AT&T rep I spoke with from the warranty center said she would call me Friday(7/29) in order to facilitate my claim. I am not clear if this is going to be a refund or simply a swap for a new Active. I am also not sure what would ensure the transaction valid, if Samsung "fixed" the phone is AT&T exchanging out of the goodness of their heart?

I think I'm making some progress.

I have gathered all of my old and current Samsung devices in preparation to walk into the AT&T store to give them over for disposal.

Turboeclipse99

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes passed the quality check

*07/21/2016//21:45:31//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/21/2016 8:45 PM-Liliana Martinez: The unit is shipped.
*07/21/2016//21:45:29//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/21/2016 8:45 PM-Liliana Martinez: No hold amount
*07/21/2016//20:18:50//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/21/2016 7:18 PM-Erika Mata: QC Pass.
*07/20/2016//13:41:04//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/20/2016 12:40 PM-Gabriela Torres: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced LCD - Replaced Component - Replaced PBA
*07/12/2016//20:51:58//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/12/2016 7:51 PM-Luis Garcia: The unit is repair-pending.
*07/11/2016//16:50:25//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
LCD AND REAR CAME IN WITH SCRATCHES.
*07/11/2016//10:52:16//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/11/2016 9:39 AM-Monica Angon: Accessory: SIM CARD TRAY
*07/11/2016//10:52:15//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
7/11/2016 9:39 AM-Monica Angon: The unit has been received. Pack Condition: Fair Packaging (Box & Cushion)

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I took the weekend to have a few drinks and not think about Samsung or AT&T.

Here is where I stand.

By the EOD Friday (7/22) I had spoken with Samsung and AT&T, in that order. Samsung informed me that my phone was being sent to AT&T to facilitate my refund. I explained to them how they have lost my loyalty, but they did not seem to care enough to throw me a bone. They forwarded me to a generic customer service AT&T number whom had no idea what I was talking about. I had to go through my story with a refund claim customer service rep who then forwarded me to someone in the warranty center. I again told my story and was told by AT&T that this is not how a refund/warranty/repair experience works. They said there is no address for Samsung to send the phone to AT&T for them to receive. I made it clear that this was not a regular situation and that they must understand the circumstances. They weren't convinced so I asked them to call Samsung themselves. They agreed and I was put on hold.

Now they understood and were able to aid in clearing up all of this confusion. They were able to find out that Samsung was sending the phone back to me and that from there I would work with the AT&T warranty center on my claim. Oddly enough, I received an email from Samsung shortly after this phone call outlining how my phone was repaired and on its way to me.

I questioned Samsung through Twitter DMs, as I was determined to get some clarification though whatever means necessary, of how my phone was "magically" repaired so "quickly" after I began complaining and how it "passed" QA when others here have not been so lucky. They apologized for the confusion and told me they would call me when they were able to clear things up. I have yet to receive a phone call.

Today(7/25) I am expecting my LG V10 in the mail from AT&T. The Active was also on pace to arrive at my home today, but I was not present to sign off so I will have to pick it up from a UPS location tomorrow.

The last AT&T rep I spoke with from the warranty center said she would call me Friday(7/29) in order to facilitate my claim. I am not clear if this is going to be a refund or simply a swap for a new Active. I am also not sure what would ensure the transaction valid, if Samsung "fixed" the phone is AT&T exchanging out of the goodness of their heart?

I think I'm making some progress.

I have gathered all of my old and current Samsung devices in preparation to walk into the AT&T store to give them over for disposal.

Good luck

ndhusmc

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Here's an update to my water damage situation.

Original Problem:
SOFTWARE UPDATE - MOBILE OS UPDATES - SOFTWARE REFLASH

Problem found:
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION

Solution:
REPLACED UNIT

Heidi1111

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Needed to reply to your post because I have been round and round with ATT and Samsung. My son had his phone for less then 24 hours and it got wet at a July 4th party (like for less than 30 seconds). The camera fogged up and the speaker stopped working. We brought it to ATT and they told me that water damage VOIDS your warranty. They would not exchange the phone even though it was less than 24 hours old. They told me to contact Samsung who wanted me to send it off to Texas for who knows how long and told me that, again, water damage VOIDS the warranty. The only way they would replace the phone is if there was a manufacture defect. I have also sent emails to the complaint department of Samsung which was no help. Now here is the only good news - The camera (which looked like yours) did clear up after keeping the phone in rice for a week. The speaker started working again - at first sounding muffled - and then getting better. Do I think the phone is in the best condition - no but at least he can use it. Here is the catch you need to be aware of- since your water resistant phone is ONLY covered for manufacture defects and since you have water damage and since they won' t be able to tell if the defects were due to the phone not being properly sealed, you are basically screwed. If Lil Wayne can advertise that he is throwing his phone in a fish tank and pouring champagne on it and the reality is that there are this many problems with the water resistance, I would say a class action lawsuit is around the corner. I will be jumping on board when it happens! Good luck!

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Needed to reply to your post because I have been round and round with ATT and Samsung. My son had his phone for less then 24 hours and it got wet at a July 4th party (like for less than 30 seconds). The camera fogged up and the speaker stopped working. We brought it to ATT and they told me that water damage VOIDS your warranty. They would not exchange the phone even though it was less than 24 hours old. They told me to contact Samsung who wanted me to send it off to Texas for who knows how long and told me that, again, water damage VOIDS the warranty. The only way they would replace the phone is if there was a manufacture defect. I have also sent emails to the complaint department of Samsung which was no help. Now here is the only good news - The camera (which looked like yours) did clear up after keeping the phone in rice for a week. The speaker started working again - at first sounding muffled - and then getting better. Do I think the phone is in the best condition - no but at least he can use it. Here is the catch you need to be aware of- since your water resistant phone is ONLY covered for manufacture defects and since you have water damage and since they won' t be able to tell if the defects were due to the phone not being properly sealed, you are basically screwed. If Lil Wayne can advertise that he is throwing his phone in a fish tank and pouring champagne on it and the reality is that there are this many problems with the water resistance, I would say a class action lawsuit is around the corner. I will be jumping on board when it happens! Good luck!
You should show them Samsung's official statement about water damaged units here:

http://news.samsung.com/us/2016/07/...mer-reports-gs7-active-water-resistance-test/

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/samsung-announces-fix-galaxy-s7-204131136.html

If they don't budge then send an email to one of these guys:

p.berne@sea.samsung.com
a.bowins@sea.samsung.com

And finally, comment on this thread regarding legal action:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=702432

TheSwagDaddy

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
8/1/16 Update

I last left you guys on 7/25/16. On 7/26/16 I retrieved my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active and it was intact with the phone in bubble wrap and a summary of the repair information.
a.jpg
20160726_191141.jpg
20160726_191232.jpg
A sticker with Model and IMEI information was placed on the back of the phone.
20160726_191404.jpg
Some of the cosmetic fixes were evident as there were no longer minor bumps or scrapes on the corners of the device that I had left it with. The water that was behind the front facing camera also appeared to be removed. Other than that I did not notice any other major differences.
20160726_191608.jpg
20160726_191629.jpg
20160726_191649.jpg
20160726_191735.jpg
20160726_191752.jpg

I powered the phone on, it started, and then I turned it off. I didn't care to go through any "testing" as I have no plan on using the device.

7/27/16 : Attempted to get a refund from AT&T

I went to an AT&T store with the repaired phone and all Samsung products I had previously/currently used. I told them my long story and it went straight to the manager. As I was expecting they stuck by their 14 day return policy. The store manager showed no compassion at all. I asked, "what would you do if you were in my situation", and she replied, "it has not happened to me so I do not know." Really? This is your response. I was furious and proceeded to hand over all my Samsung phones, S2 through S4 and a wireless charging dock, reset my current phone to be wiped and asked them to set up another phone. This did not phase them and they proceeded. I asked if there was someone higher up that I could speak with and she said no. She said I should call retention and maybe they could help me.

7/29/16 : Wait for member from warranty department to call me

I was waiting for my scheduled call at 11:15, but I never received a call.

7/30/16 : Called retention customer service

Told them my entire life story.

This representative again noted that they cannot do refunds as I did not purchase the phone online or over the phone. They said I must go to the store to do this. They said if they would not do a refund that I should ask for the regional manager. The rep said store managers must provide this information upon request.

I proceeded to the store, did the above and was given a direct report contact who was not a regional manager. I called retention while I was in the store and they spoke with the manager in the store. Still no regional manager. This rep said their supervisor would call me back to see if I could help with my issue. I left the store with the store managers card and his direct report. I left a voicemail and an email for this individual at that time.

The retention supervisor called me back told me the same story. No refunds through the phone.

That evening I called the warranty center, as I never received a call from them on Friday, and they were much more compassionate. There are certain departments that seem to handle this much better than others, or maybe just certain people. The rep I spoke with was cordial and understanding. He helped me set up a warranty claim and a replacement phone is being sent to me. I did this because my perception of the repaired phone I have has been damaged. If I must have this device, pending I don't get a refund, I would like to be a little more ensured that the phone I have is new and not damaged from being torn a part and pieced back together. The warranty rep said I could do this alongside my escalation claim that I am attempting to go through with the store managers. I simply either send back my current device and keep the new one, or I place the return shipping label on the new device (if I get a refund on my current device) and send back.

I'm anticipating I should have a resolution on this issue by the end of the week. Fingers crossed.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Decided today to dunk my phone before heading on vacation next week and taking it in the pool. It was fine at first then developed the typical issues. I called Samsung and they said 9-11 business days upon receipt of the phone so I called at&t. As of today at&t has the approval for the warranty department to replace the devices at no cost. I paid $14.95 to have it expedited in 1-2 days. Just a heads up for anyone dealing with the water issue.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
So you have to send it to ATT and not a local retailer is that correct? I thought the local authorized ATT store could do it as well, or did I get that wrong?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
There is local at&t corporate warranty stores that will replace it but not at&t stores themselves is what I was told. He called the local warranty center thats 2 miles from me but they didnt have any in stock to replace mine. The reason he said was because we dont get new phones, we get phones that samsung repaired already. Its a cycle of serviced phones in exchange for broken phones which I dont really mind as long as it works.

I pulled my sim tray and my sd card and sim were wet as well so I pulled the sd card and need to replace the sim card when the new phone arrives.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Well 14 bucks to have it back in hands in 1-2 days...isn't too bad, do they ship you a new one and then you return the old one...you should start a new thread with the process that might help folks out who are going through this. Thanks for all the info. :)