S7 Active Fails Consumer Reports Water Test

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S7 Active Fails Consumer Reports Water-Resistance Test - Consumer Reports

Commercials for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge showed hip-hop’s Lil Wayne pouring Champagne over the phone and dunking it in a fish tank. The Active version of the S7, which is available to AT&T customers for $800 and up, is being marketed as equally water-resistant. While Consumer Reports generally doesn’t evaluate phones for this feature, we do perform an immersion test when a manufacturer claims that its product is water-resistant. When we recently evaluated the Galaxy S7 Active, it failed this test.

Last edited by a moderator:

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Well that really sucks. Between the reports here on AC of water intrusion and now this test it seems that samsung may have a flaw in the S7. A flaw in one of its most important features.

If this is true, this phone is not what we thought we bought. Samsung was quoted as saying they would replace any phones with a problem, but I have heard elsewhere that they will not replace water- damaged phones.

I wonder if AT&T would allow returns after 14 days have passed?

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm betting they replace the phones. Whether it's immediately b/c they KNOW QC is better on their latest batch or in the near future after they are certain. I'm sure AT&T will try and deflect as much as possible.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
This is great. Glad Consumer Reports is the one doing the testing. Samsung really has no choice but to replace water damaged phones now. We'll see how this plays out for those who had issues.

BTW, it would be great if AC made a story on this to further put the spotlight on Samsung and get an official response. I sent them a link to their tip hotline.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
This is great. Glad Consumer Reports is the one doing the testing. Samsung really has no choice but to replace water damaged phones now. We'll see how this plays out for those who had issues.

BTW, it would be great if AC made a story on this to further put the spotlight on Samsung and get an official response. I sent them a link to their tip hotline.

Agree. I sent AC a link this morning. Hoping they are able to contact Samsung directly and get some better info.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy S7 Active Fails Consumer Reports' Water Test

We reached out to Samsung for a comment on Consumer Reports' findings and will update this story if we hear back. In the meantime, the phone maker told Consumer Reports that it's received few complaints from its customers about S7 Actives failing to work after water exposure. It conceded that the affected models may have been defective, shipping without being fully watertight. Affected phones are covered by a warranty, according to Samsung, which told Consumer Reports that it's investigating the issue.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
So far the response I got from their FB support page can be summarized as follows:

-The phones are water resistant, not waterproof.
-Many factors influence this
-Water damage is not covered under warranty

Convo is still ongoing but I'm pretty shocked at how cr*ppy they are being about it.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
So I called AT&T this morning and talked to Customer Support. They said any water issues would be the responsibility of Samsung and that after 14 days, the Active could not be returned to the store.

I called Samsung next, and the person I spoke with said he hadn't heard of this. At first, I didn't think that were true, but he did appear to ask around and then he looked online at the Consumer Reports test. He did say if there is any official word from Samsung then it would probably come out next week. Pretty lame, although having experience with large corporations I have zero doubt an official response/policy will take some time.

Look how long it took Apple to deal with Antenna-gate.

In the meantime, Samsung could make this a non-issue by simply offering to replace any S7Active that gets water damage. Sure, they might payout a few extra claims from people who try scuba diving but if Samsung doesn't do this sales of the Active will tank. As will repeat business.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Here's the full text of my convo.

Me: Chat Conversation Start
10:03AM
Hello, I just received my S7 Active from AT&T this week. Now the story breaks from consumer reports about the two models they tested failing their water immersion test. I'm just curious if you all are going to handle this issue on a case by case basis or offer everyone a new phone at some point, once the problem (wherever it may lie) is worked out? This is the second time I've bought an Active to replace an iPhone that got water damage. I was hoping this phone would last a LONG time. Thanks

Samsung Support: Hey Brian, thanks for taking the time to message us today. While our Active devices are water resistant, they are not impervious to water damage under any circumstance. The efficiency of the water resistant depends on many factors. We would be very cautious around water, even though they are water resistant. It is important to remember that these are still electronic devices and water can damage them. Water damage is not covered under warranty. I hope that helps. ^Les

Me: Wait a second... now you have displays in the AT&T stores where people can submerge these phones and you brag about the phone being water resistant for 30 mins at 5 ft. Have you seen the consumer reports article/video in question? It duplicates this scenario. Nothing extreme. And both phones they tested got screen problems and water in their cameras. The regular S7 and Edge passed the same test with flying colors. This needs to be addressed or you are going to have a lot of b unhappy customers. It's already hit all the forums where folks with phones that already have water damage are getting seeming confirmation the phones have a problem.

Samsung Support: I have not seen the videos you are speaking about. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to pass it along. ^Les

Me: (Sent link to youtube video then added the following) I mean, this is Consumer Reports, not some teens in a basement.

Samsung Support: Thank you for sharing. We will be sure to pass it along. ^Les

In conclusion...yeah... :(

Last edited:

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I almost switched back to AT&T just to get an S7 active. I'm glad I didn't. One S7 active failing the water test would be a coincidence, but two of them failing? Samsung has a serious QC problem right now.

Posted via the Android Central App on the S7 edge

flapadlr_Nok900

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I assure you my S7A is as water resistant as advertised. I feel bad for the folks that got a bad one mostly because convincing Samsung to replace under warranty will probably be a challenge.

I also question Consumer Reports methods. Did they try a different pressure chamber, not just a second phone? Who validated their equipment? Why can't they just find 3 feel of water instead of being all sciency?

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Agree. I sent AC a link this morning. Hoping they are able to contact Samsung directly and get some better info.
Wow, have you all read the article Phil put out in reference to this? I can't believe they are not using there position to help out the consumer. Samsung needs to be pushed on this to get an official response because it really seems out of whack that the active version of a phone is more prone to damage than the one that isn't supposed to be as tough! The regular S7 and S7 Edge did fine in this water test while the active did not? I want some answers eventhough my phone has been okay after having put mine in water many times.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I also question Consumer Reports methods. Did they try a different pressure chamber, not just a second phone? Who validated their equipment? Why can't they just find 3 feel of water instead of being all sciency?

I think the fact that the CR said the Edge and the regular S7 passed the exact same test give them more credibility.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Even though both of my phones have had zero problems with water Im very skeptical of this phones resistance to it now. I love the phone mainly for battery but if Samsung doesnt do the right thing with this, it will be up for sale and back to motorola I go.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
From the manual.

This device is rated IP68 using the Ingress
Protection rating system.
Note: This device passed military specification
(MIL-STD-810G) testing against a subset of
20 specific environmental conditions, including
temperature, dust and humidity, shock/vibration,
and low pressure/high altitude. Device may not
perform as shown in all extreme conditions.
Your device has been tested in a controlled
environment and shown to be water and dust
resistant in certain circumstances (meets
requirements of classification IP68 as described
by the international standard IEC 60529 - Degrees
of Protection provided by Enclosures [IP Code];
test conditions: 15
-35°C, 86-106 kPa, 5.0 feet, for
30 minutes). Despite this classification, your device
is not impervious to water damage in any situation. It
is important that all compartments are closed tightly.
Follow these tips carefully to prevent damage to the
device.
Whenever your device gets wet, dry it thoroughly
with a clean, soft cloth.
Do not expose the device to salt water or ionized
water, or to water over 5.0 feet deep for more
than 30 minutes. If your device is exposed to
fresh water, dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft
cloth. If the device is exposed to any liquid other
than fresh water, rinse the device with fresh water
immediately and dry it thoroughly with a clean,
soft cloth. Failure to rinse the device in fresh water
and dry it as instructed may cause the device to
suffer from operability or cosmetic issues.
Do not expose the device to water at high
pressure.
If the device is dropped or receives an impact,
the water and dust resistant features of the device
may be damaged.
The touchscreen and other features may not work
properly if the device is used in water or in other
liquids.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
The bottom line is that Samsung cannot hide behind "water damage not covered" if they advertise IP68 certification. That is a specific standard that is not subject to interpretation. The Active is advertised as IP68 compliant so any water intrusion within the IP68 boundaries is by definition a manufacturing defect. Either the Active is - as advertised - IP68 compliant OR the Active is not actually IP68 compliant and the advertising needs to change.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's sheer coincidence that 2 Actives failed in CR's test.

And this is Consumer Reports, not a random YouTube channel, nor is it TechRax. This is a legitimate, no-nonsense publication for consumer info. A lot of companies take them seriously. Ask some automakers.

Samsung did come out with a statement, but I think they should do more than that. I think the Active could do with a minor redesign internally that makes it better able to resist water and extend the warranty program for the S7A to include a replacement for a water damaged device.

Both the S7 and the S7 edge, which are not designed for an outdoor lifestyle, did survive CR's test, so this is very odd indeed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835