07-15-2016 05:11 PM
56 123
tools
    Thing is, I actually somewhat disagree with Phil's statement, saying that there needs to be more data points.

I'd agree if CR only tested one phone and it failed. However, they tested 2, and both failed. To me, that's already enough to give me some concern, especially since the non-Active S7s went through the same test and passed.

And I'd think twice before casting my doubts on Consumer Reports' tests. Remember that I said a lot of companies, especially automakers, take them seriously? For example, the publication did not recommend the 2010 Lexus GX460 after it failed one of their safety tests. Toyota had to temporarily suspend sales of the GX and acknowledged the problem after its own tests. They issued a recall and the updated variant passed CR's test.

Now, I'm not saying Samsung should suspend sales of the S7A, because this isn't really a safety issue in general, but they should really do something that benefits the consumers in response, like warranty replacements for water damage and future models getting a minor internal redesign, like how the S Pen slot on the Note 5 got a minor redesign after people got the S Pen stuck in it when put backwards.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Good thing AC doesn't review cars, or AC's response would be the failed test means "nothing." AC drove it's Lexus-provided review car around town without a problem. And one failed crash test isn't statistically significant.

PSA: few journalists and bloggers are scientists or statisticians, they just write about people who are.

Also, heading off the indignant stuff I've read elsewhere, obviously this is the tiniest of issues in the scheme of the world, or even the US right now, however some people are capable of thinking about two things at once.
    07-09-2016 10:28 AM
    They could issue water proof cases ala Apple's antennagate fix 😂
    Does that make this Watergate? 😐
    I guess we know why it's still an AT&T exclusive.

07-09-2016 01:08 PM
    Good thing AC doesn't review cars, or AC's response would be the failed test means "nothing." AC drove it's Lexus-provided review car around town without a problem. And one failed crash test isn't statistically significant.

PSA: few journalists and bloggers are scientists or statisticians, they just write about people who are.

Also, heading off the indignant stuff I've read elsewhere, obviously this is the tiniest of issues in the scheme of the world, or even the US right now, however some people are capable of thinking about two things at once.
    Yeah, I think Phil went off the mark there.

R.I.P GPe program
    07-09-2016 06:20 PM
    I have not had an issue with my S7 Active and water resistance. I wonder if this is bad batch of devices? Anyways... this is troubling.
    07-09-2016 10:16 PM
    Anyways... this is troubling.
    Agreed!
    07-10-2016 12:43 PM
    Pulled the trigger on a squaretrade 2 year plan yesterday just in case. Had a $20 off coupon. Today is the 30th day I have had my S7 Active. Whew!

Posted via my S7 Active with Samsung Pay!
    07-10-2016 01:26 PM
    Pulled the trigger on a squaretrade 2 year plan yesterday just in case. Had a $20 off coupon. Today is the 30th day I have had my S7 Active. Whew!

Posted via my S7 Active with Samsung Pay!
    That's not a bad thing to do. You never know what could happen.

07-10-2016 09:39 PM
    Pulled the trigger on a squaretrade 2 year plan yesterday just in case. Had a $20 off coupon. Today is the 30th day I have had my S7 Active.
    How does squaretrade coverage compare to samsung plus or att?
    07-11-2016 09:03 AM
    Been following this thread for awhile now, looking at getting the S7A. I'm more interested the battery + wireless charging then the water resistance. But if there ever is a time I would need it to resist water, I would like to know that it actually would.

The difference in warranties would help with my decision based on who gives the better of them.

07-11-2016 09:41 AM
    From live chat on Samsung website:
    Mazharuddin M: I see that as of now the protection plus is not available for S 7 active, however you can check the availability with the protection plus team, I will help you with the contact details.
    07-11-2016 10:21 AM
    The plot thickens. This is starting to feel like a dud (Yes, I know you only hear from people with problems), but reading the screen crack thread is another area too.
    07-11-2016 05:50 PM
    129 for 2 years damage coverage for a 99. I have had it for several phones but have never used it. If you get rid of the phone, you can cancel and get a refund or transfer to new owner. Check the square trade website for more info.
    07-11-2016 06:00 PM
    The plot thickens. This is starting to feel like a dud (Yes, I know you only hear from people with problems), but reading the screen crack thread is another area too.
    Right....
    07-11-2016 06:19 PM
    I hope we hear something soon from Samsung regarding the CR test. I really want this phone and dont plan on taking it under water but also want to know that if I do, there wont be any issues.
    LonestarROB and Phoneguy108 like this.
    07-13-2016 10:28 AM
    Picked up a Gal S7 Active 4 days ago. Didn't know about the CR test until after I purchased. I love the phone. For me it was either Galaxy S7 Edge or S7 Active. They both have the same water resistant stats so I went with the active because it had a shatter proof screen. Now I feel uneasy as I chose the phone for extra durability, but it seems it's less durable. Should I return it for the S7 Edge?

Thx
    Phil
    07-13-2016 11:19 AM
    I hope we hear something soon from Samsung regarding the CR test. I really want this phone and dont plan on taking it under water but also want to know that if I do, there wont be any issues.
    Agreed. Want this phone bad but I'm holding out for some kind of response by SOMEBODY on the reported issues with the phone.
    07-13-2016 02:01 PM
    Same here
    07-13-2016 02:28 PM
    Picked up a Gal S7 Active 4 days ago. Didn't know about the CR test until after I purchased. I love the phone. For me it was either Galaxy S7 Edge or S7 Active. They both have the same water resistant stats so I went with the active because it had a shatter proof screen. Now I feel uneasy as I chose the phone for extra durability, but it seems it's less durable. Should I return it for the S7 Edge?

Thx
    Phil
    Might not be a bad idea. Just get a top of the line case for the edge.
    07-13-2016 02:29 PM
    Might not be a bad idea. Just get a top of the line case for the edge.
    I have really put a lot of thought into getting either the s7 or the s7e and getting a rugged case, and I still might however I would really like the s7a. I like how it looks/feels, it's light but "rugged", and fits in the pocket. Form factor really isn't much bigger than the regular s7. If it lived up to how it's advertised, it's really the perfect phone for me. So that said, I am going to wait a little longer and hopefully, hopefully Samsung & Att can deliver on this product.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.
    07-13-2016 07:55 PM
    I have really put a lot of thought into getting either the s7 or the s7e and getting a rugged case, and I still might however I would really like the s7a. I like how it looks/feels, it's light but "rugged", and fits in the pocket. Form factor really isn't much bigger than the regular s7. If it lived up to how it's advertised, it's really the perfect phone for me. So that said, I am going to wait a little longer and hopefully, hopefully Samsung & Att can deliver on this product.
    I agree. I love the phone and it legitimately disappoints me that it's not living up to the claims. I just wanted to have a thin case and screen protector to keep it looking new while feeling confident that I could rinse it off if it got dirty like I have with my previous phones in a LifeProof case (all iPhones, I actually changed from iOS to Android for this premise).
    bryanmsi likes this.
    07-13-2016 08:51 PM
    I feel the same exact way
    100%
    07-14-2016 01:24 AM
    Only thing tempting me to diy an active would be the Unlocked(no bloatware) version that they are selling now.
    Whats holding me back would be smaller battery and the active key. I am coming from windows phone and having a dedicated button for whatever I want is very desirable for me. Current my WP uses it to launch camera and shutter button. Also, the fact that I wouldnt be able to take advantage payment plan that ATT offers. which isnt a huge deal except that my work pays for my bill.
    07-14-2016 08:25 AM
    both my wife and my phone are compltetly water proof. sorry guize looks like they tested 2 probably defective devices.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    07-14-2016 08:49 AM
    both my wife and my phone are compltetly water proof. sorry guize looks like they tested 2 probably defective devices.
    Thanks for sharing. There are reports here on this forum about others that have had faulty phones, similar to what was reported by CR. Yes, they were probably defective and that is why Samsung has officially stated on there corporate website that they are looking into it.
    We are all hoping to here something soon.
    07-14-2016 09:17 AM
    Thanks for sharing. There are reports here on this forum about others that have had faulty phones, similar to what was reported by CR. Yes, they were probably defective and that is why Samsung has officially stated on there corporate website that they are looking into it.
    We are all hoping to here something soon.
    my best guess is there will be a recall and a fix, worst case scenario this gets swept under the rug and the s8 active comes out quickly.
    07-14-2016 09:56 AM
56 123