Galaxy S7 Active - Screen Cracked - No Impact! In my pocket!

Cody Ezi

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
The same thing just happened to me I pulled out my phone from my pocket and it's scratched from my keys I had no idea this would be possible on an S7 active. I should have stuck with my pristine iPhone but I switched to the active for the ruggedness what a mistake now I'm stuck for the next two years with a scratched phone.

What's ironic is I have a screen protector on order I thought the phone could handle a day or two without one

Est_XCIV

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
There is a video on YouTube by JerryRigEverything in believe who torture tests the S7 Active. In the video he showed the screen can easily be scratched with a pen or keys because of the plastic protector. I believe if you could remove the plastic film, the glass underneath would be more scratch resistant.

Last edited:

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
if they are scratches you should be able to feel them by lightly dragging a fingernail across them; if its a crack below, you shouldnt feel anything, and in direct glare it should appear seamless as you pan the screen through the glare of a light or the sun. alternately use a playing card, again lightly dragging across the fault, and watch for drag or a snap; that would indicate a scratch rather than a crack.

thats an odd and tough place for a crack to appear; they tend to prefer edges or to make their way to an edge; has the fault/crack expanded? usually they get worse as the tempered glass (which is under stress by nature of being tempered) relieves its tension by expression of increased cracks, with no outside additional force needed.

Wesandi

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but a veteran when it comes to the internets and technology. I recently purchased the GS7 Active specifically to avoid worrying about damaging the device/water issues. As we all know, the water tests have recently been showing some very concerning results. More concerning than the water-proofing issues is what happened to my device last week.

I took my phone out of my pocket and noticed what I originally though was a scratch... perhaps a hair? My brain wasn't even processing the possiblity that the middle of the screen randomly cracked for no reason. After trying to blow away the hair/wipe off the scratch/smudge I quickly realized that the impossible situation is very possible.

I have a crack right through the top center of the screen in my brand new GS7 Active! Are you kidding me?! It's a very strange crack too, curved in the center with small perendicular cracks along the larger crack.

I've owned a GS2, 3, 4, and 5... skipped the 6 and went for a GS7 Active. In every previous Galaxy I've owned I have never once damaged the device. I've dropped a few in my day. But never would I assume the GS7 Active would simply crack in my pocket!!!

Worst than this, there are other reports of this happening the same exact way on the Samsung forums.

AT&T is not being helpful at all. Trying to force me to file an insurance claim. Or send the device back to Samsung for them to repair it and send me a replacement. Ok? Great! I call Samsung, they laughed at me and said "We don't send out replacements... you can send us the phone and we may decide to repair it in 14 business days".

Ummmmmm.... no! I need my phone for work. 14 business days?! It is clearly a defect with the device itself.

What are my options? Now that the GS7 isn't even waterproof, and I'm now seeing evidence that the screens are cracking/fogging/smudging beyond reason... I'm hoping that Samsung steps up to the plate and fixes the device/sends us new ones or* allows for a refund/replacement.

Otherwise, it's off to the BBB and to make sure that everyone knows not to purchase the Active product line until Samsung makes good on their advertised features.

:'(

Mine has big chips out of it and a line of pixels out of wack....my wife had hers in a diaper bag and the screen cracked where the buttons are and she sent it in ..they told her it would be 100 bucks even with the extra warranty we got....

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that Samsung will not warranty this, because they are scratches, and not a defect in the device. It would "appear" to me, that something was apparently in your pocket at the time it occurred. With the new plastic coating they are using, it scratches much easier, that's why I put a tempered glass protector ontop of the screen.

If it were me, I would not fault Samsung on this particular issue, because I knew it was easier to scratch, due to the plastic coating, as I did much research on the device, before purchasing. Good luck with your endeavor, I would think it wouldn't be too expensive to replace the plastic coating, through Samsung, if they chose to charge you.

Chris

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I haven't purchased this phone yet but I wonder if it's possible to remove the factory screen protector and just leave it off, I have never liked screen protectors and I suspect eventually it's going to have to be replaced anyway. Im not sure how it's attached but apparently the kit comes with a removal tool...

Arturo92

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
The same thing just happened to me I pulled out my phone from my pocket and it's scratched from my keys I had no idea this would be possible on an S7 active. I should have stuck with my pristine iPhone but I switched to the active for the ruggedness what a mistake now I'm stuck for the next two years with a scratched phone.

What's ironic is I have a screen protector on order I thought the phone could handle a day or two without one

Arturo92

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I bought my phone 4 days ago and had the att rep install the tempered glass and pulled the phone out this morning when I got work, just to discover I had a crack underneath the tempered glass. this blows

Arturo92

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Ugh. Sorry to hear. How do you think that happened?

I think this phone is defective it was getting hot the first night I got it and I'm thinking that it was warm and when I pulled out of my pocket the temperature change cracked it. I'm going to take it to att to if they can do something about since the tempered glass was installed by them and the crack is below it and the tempered glass is perfect shape.

Matt Johnson24

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Same thing happened to me over the weekend. pulled my phone out of my pocket and noticed the screen was broken between the back button and home screen button. Phone is one month old! This is clearly a design flaw...

Attachments

• DSCN0826[1].jpg
    DSCN0826[1].jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25

MelissiaStarnes

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
My S7 Active screen spidered between the middle and third button. Inside a Beetle case .... I had dropped it straight down from less than 30" and on carpet....was a straight crack between keys then when it heated it shattered like spider with 25 legs ... running full display. In Texas now at Samsung and told I damaged it and almost $200 to replace screen.

Damian Robles1

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but a veteran when it comes to the internets and technology. I recently purchased the GS7 Active specifically to avoid worrying about damaging the device/water issues. As we all know, the water tests have recently been showing some very concerning results. More concerning than the water-proofing issues is what happened to my device last week.

I took my phone out of my pocket and noticed what I originally though was a scratch... perhaps a hair? My brain wasn't even processing the possiblity that the middle of the screen randomly cracked for no reason. After trying to blow away the hair/wipe off the scratch/smudge I quickly realized that the impossible situation is very possible.

I have a crack right through the top center of the screen in my brand new GS7 Active! Are you kidding me?! It's a very strange crack too, curved in the center with small perendicular cracks along the larger crack.

I've owned a GS2, 3, 4, and 5... skipped the 6 and went for a GS7 Active. In every previous Galaxy I've owned I have never once damaged the device. I've dropped a few in my day. But never would I assume the GS7 Active would simply crack in my pocket!!!

Worst than this, there are other reports of this happening the same exact way on the Samsung forums.

AT&T is not being helpful at all. Trying to force me to file an insurance claim. Or send the device back to Samsung for them to repair it and send me a replacement. Ok? Great! I call Samsung, they laughed at me and said "We don't send out replacements... you can send us the phone and we may decide to repair it in 14 business days".

Ummmmmm.... no! I need my phone for work. 14 business days?! It is clearly a defect with the device itself.

What are my options? Now that the GS7 isn't even waterproof, and I'm now seeing evidence that the screens are cracking/fogging/smudging beyond reason... I'm hoping that Samsung steps up to the plate and fixes the device/sends us new ones or* allows for a refund/replacement.

Otherwise, it's off to the BBB and to make sure that everyone knows not to purchase the Active product line until Samsung makes good on their advertised features.

Welcome to the club mine cracked after 6 days and also it was on my pocket but I have T-Mobile and those Mmmm not very intelligent people told me that is why we recommend the protector and like you I wouldn't mind if I drop it or step on it but on my pocket while I'm at the office? Are you kidding me! So it's my last Samsung Cell Phone I guess I will try Apple again

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I put my S7 Active in a case, added a screen protector and carry it in a holster. I have had it less than 60 days and NEVER dropped it. Today I went it pick it up and found cracks in the bottom left corner at the top in the center going down the screen about half way.

I called Samsung and got a VERY helpful person. I do have to ship my phone back but I don't think they will try to charge me for any repairs. I was very clear but polite about the fact that this phone is marketing specifically as being tough and rugged right out of the box. And yet mine cracked in spite of being cased and not dropped. I will keep you posted on what happens.

One odd thing....
When I went to the Samsung website to look at warranty info I was VERY surprised that the S7 Active is no longer listed anywhere. You have to do a site search to find it.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I put my S7 Active in a case, added a screen protector and carry it in a holster. I have had it less than 60 days and NEVER dropped it. Today I went it pick it up and found cracks in the bottom left corner at the top in the center going down the screen about half way.

I called Samsung and got a VERY helpful person. I do have to ship my phone back but I don't think they will try to charge me for any repairs. I was very clear but polite about the fact that this phone is marketing specifically as being tough and rugged right out of the box. And yet mine cracked in spite of being cased and not dropped. I will keep you posted on what happens.

One odd thing....
When I went to the Samsung website to look at warranty info I was VERY surprised that the S7 Active is no longer listed anywhere. You have to do a site search to find it.

Be prepared because they are going to charge you. Hate to sound pessimistic but it's going to happen.

PLaBar

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Same thing happened to me over the weekend. pulled my phone out of my pocket and noticed the screen was broken between the back button and home screen button. Phone is one month old! This is clearly a design flaw...

Totally a design flaw! Get as many images of phones that this occurred on as you can and send them to Samsung, even better send them to
Mike Gikas (mgikas@consumer.org) of Consumer Reports. He has written multiple articles about the S7Active and can bring attention to the issue.
If you can show him 6 or more phones failing at the same spot (which seems to be where the width of the glass is small) I think he can make a case out of it.

spininpints

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I had the same thing happen on a 2 week old S7 Active! I woke up in the morning and noticed the entire screen had hair line cracks sort of starting at the speaker/ear opening location. Called ATT and got the run around. Kept pushing me to file a claim when the phone was never dropped. I wish I had taken pictures. It was disturbing. I gave in and sent the phone in for $199 ded to replace it. Now I have the new one and there is something odd going on with the screen as well. There's a foggy/streaky type haze in an odd pattern on most of the surface of the screen. If I used a micro pad it cleans off but comes back later that day, in the same pattern.imagejpeg_0.jpgimagejpeg_0.jpg

I'm keeping an eye on this haze thing and am pretty upset someone else and possibly many others are having cracked screen issues on this supposed indestructible phone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan