Audio problems with video apps

Jack in NC

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I got an S7A on July 4 at Best Buy. I have it unlocked and on tmo, and I disabled the bloat with Package Disabler Pro (in case that matters).

When I am using video apps, the audio is 90% crackling as if I were in a wind storm. The behavior is pretty consistent, I've tried with the default camera app, Google Camera and Hangouts video chat.

Anybody else seen this behavior? Even better... know how to fix it?

I'd sure like to fix it without having to return.

Thanks
Jack

Posted via the Android Central App

Jack in NC

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I guess I'm the only lucky one. :)

I think I'll factory reset this weekend and test it in the default configuration. I've made a number of customizations to this phone. None of which should cause audio behavior like this, but it's worth stripping it back to metal to see what I get. Assuming I end up with the same failure, I'll return it.

Jack in NC

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I factory reset this morning and the audio problem still exists. I'm on day 13, so back to Best Buy it goes. I guess the only question now is whether I stick with the Active, or just pickup the plain vanilla S7.

As much as I like the Active, I get most of the benefit in looking for through the waterproof-ness of the S7. And I'm just really concerned with the other crap posted here about the Active. I would love to have the phone that the Active is marketed to be, but I'm concerned about getting the phone that the Active is reported to be.

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
it will hold up better in drops and bigger battery; thats why i went with Active over S7, and ESPECIALLY S7 Edge. I have no crackling, GF doesnt on hers, folks dont on theirs; all of us have S7 Actives. you probably have a hardware defect. ours all sound great. Package disabler pro should have zero effect on that.

rather than get it replaced, RETURN IT. then turn around and buy another; that totally protects you from a 'your return policy expired' BS argument.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I factory reset this morning and the audio problem still exists. I'm on day 13, so back to Best Buy it goes. I guess the only question now is whether I stick with the Active, or just pickup the plain vanilla S7.

As much as I like the Active, I get most of the benefit in looking for through the waterproof-ness of the S7. And I'm just really concerned with the other crap posted here about the Active. I would love to have the phone that the Active is marketed to be, but I'm concerned about getting the phone that the Active is reported to be.

I hear you
Good luck

Jack in NC

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Alright, closing the loop on this one. I returned it for another S7A on Sunday and it was smooth as silk. The guy didn't even test it, just shook his head at how stupid the problem was based on my description. He ran the transaction through, didn't blink at the sales tax difference (I bought it out of state) and even reinstalled my screen protector.

The audio problem with the last phone didn't occur with the new one in the store. I got home, disabled all the bloat and tried again - still ok. I turned the SD card into adoptable storage today and still ok. And, I unlocked it and fired up my T-Mo SIM today and the video camera's audio is still great. It was definitely just a hw problem with the last one.

Cheers y'all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power