Sorry if this has been posted already. As many of you may know, there have been numerous reports of problems with the S7A. Plus the failed Consumer Reports testing. I really want to upgrade but these problems have me concerned. So I contacted ATT about the issue. The rep I spoke to said they "are aware of issues" with the S7A and that "AT&T(because of customer complaints) has contacted Samsung" and are "coordinating with them for solutions to the problems."

Just letting y'all know what I was told by the At&t rep.

bennyj and Phoneguy108 like this.
    07-15-2016 09:41 PM
    Standard issue response. GF is an attorney, i studied it and ended up in advertising; thats standard issue to acknowledge there are customer complaints and they have been passed on. Dont expect anything proactive from att or samsung.

problems are sporadic and random; based on sales volume samsung projected about average for issues with most tech products. most are about screen scratching (well its plastic; put a glass cover on it and problem solved). if yours works, dont worry about it. CR testing was massively flawed scientifically, and they also beat the thing up BEFORE water testing it. frankly after their methodology i wouldnt trust a CR review to be scientific in any manner whatsoever, even though its probably somewhat realistic. ive put mine thru hell already, cousin took hers swimming in the Aegean sea to take pics, gf dropped hers in the bath, zero issues. heck i even charged mine (wirelessly) in a walk in cooler and in a freezer after getting it nice and wet to see how it held up to high temp battery, cold temp outside to promote condensation etc. zero issues.

also, CR has had some issues with regards to wildly fluctuating reviews of (cars in this case) that had the EXACT SAME parts (engine/trans etc) only difference was model year tested, and all other reports including dealership/mfgr complaints were statistically the same as well. Consumer reports is IMO unreliable as they never retest nor do they test scientifically at all; totally subjective, same with a LOT of 'reviews' etc.

there are always bad examples of anything, and stellar ones too. many people believe rotaries are unreliable, blow apex seals in 40k miles or need rebuilds at 40-60k miles... based on my experience, with 5 RX-7's (one was a turbo II 2nd gen) and 1 RX-8, totally untrue; never had a motor blow up/die slowly/lose an apex seal, and all but one had over 200k on them zero issues besides maintenance (which is far more critical than on piston engines). oh, and the takata airbag recall. the last one i still own only has 140k miles on it and still pulls like hell; its my daily driver as well, and i regularly exploit its rediculously high 9k+ redline and awesome handling characteristics regularly, and its an '04; the 'worst' year and 'least reliable' as well. ive beaten that car savagely, and taken care of it, since about 2k miles (break in period) and i drove it off the delivery truck myself with 1.8 miles on the odo. when i hit 200k ill probably sell it, or rebuild the engine because its interesting and challenging, and while it eats oil and sucks gas and im always changing oil or plugs or filters or coil packs, thats preventative maintenance on my end, and it shows as its still in factory compression spec, 12 years and 140k abusive miles later. anyways.

CR is for AARP members; no one reads their crap anymore anyways in the digital age, although, that said, i would certainly reference their test results if my S7 Active suddenly had issues. and your chat will do nothing to help IF you have issues; you would have to have a chat or two detailing issues you ARE having for it to mean anything and keep a record, and also let samsung attempt to fix/repair/make it right and STILL have that same issue again to have any legal standing for recompense, legal action, or recourse, unless you are within the 14 day carrier return period, or bought it with a credit card that offers a 30/60 day policy and then thats a whole different story.
    07-15-2016 11:03 PM
    Thanks for the info. I am holding off on my upgrade until they figure out the issues.
    tkuhe likes this.
    07-15-2016 11:03 PM
    Thanks for the info. I am holding off on my upgrade until they figure out the issues.
    they wont; theyll play their corporate game of cost of service vs cost of recall/fixes versus what damage CR and others have/will do, and if the cost of eating it outright in terms of complaints and fixes is NOT greater than the cost of a recall, they wont do one.

Tylers words coming out of my mouth; and i used to be such a nice guy...
    'Jack' from Fight Club.
    07-15-2016 11:08 PM
    You are probably right....
    07-15-2016 11:12 PM
    You are probably right....
    i can almost guarantee it; i focus on product ads and gf works with companies as trial attorney in product warranty/liability, i studied to become an attorney in the same field which is how we met lol. they all follow a prescribed formula.

which is why documentation of issues YOU had vs what OTHERS have experienced is critical, and if you make a big enough deal they will usually yield. dont sign anything, dont admit anything, post everywhere, make a fuss, and they will probably make it right.

thing is, most the time its a fluke, QC issue or some such, and it falls into the catch-22 realm of 'you cant prove it failed within reason', and they will argue you abused the unit, which you, as the plaintiff, must prove you did not abuse, and that the unit failed within reasonable usage guidelines as prescribed/advertised by manufacturer (or carrier in this case), hence collection of hard data as well as documented proof you tried to work with them within reason. that could prove difficult unless you had basically documented issues with ATT/samsung before, OR had a video (perhaps someone else filming) when and where the unit fails within reasonable usage guidelines; then its a slam dunk for 'you'.

...maybe i should have gone for the BAR exam after all lol; i love litigation, loopholes, etc. GF has all the fun, i just get sent all over to film
    07-15-2016 11:25 PM
    Thanks for the info
    07-16-2016 02:42 AM
    Given the amount of negative press the CR report has generated and the fact that Samsung has already officially acknowledged the report, I would be stunned if there wasn't a follow up announcement. Also CNET is officially retesting the device and I am sure others are as well.
    I too am waiting on the sidelines until there is an response from Samsung. If there isn't one then I am not buying this device, simple as that.
    FLTimmyB and Phoneguy108 like this.
    07-16-2016 04:28 AM
    Awesome response from Samsung. Check the new thread made about it.
    07-16-2016 09:54 PM
    all they did is reiterate their claims about IP68 rating and their limited warranty; they conceded nothing that there are 'problems, defects, or issues' with the S7 Active. I have no problems, but everyone should be VERY aware that this statement is no concession or admission of fault.
    Phoneguy108 likes this.
    07-17-2016 10:38 AM
    Correct but the statement is that the warranty will be honored in cases of water damage. Not that water damage won't happen, but that the warranty will cover it.
    07-17-2016 11:02 AM
    Correct but the statement is that the warranty will be honored in cases of water damage. Not that water damage won't happen, but that the warranty will cover it.
    In which case, the onus falls upon the owner/user to prove it failed within warranty-specified parameters. I dont know where they have indicators (i assume they do, like on older phones with the white stickers that turn red/pink with water exposure) inside the phone to indicate failure or abuse beyond warranty specifications.

Easy way would be to film it being dunked to 3-4 feet for 25 minutes; i know its well within spec, but IF it failed, you have a slam-dunk case as you tested well within advertised parameters and there can be no wiggle room for manufacturer whatsoever.

Also, small claims court is solid gold for cases such as this, or filing with your credit card company.
    07-17-2016 11:05 AM
    In which case, the onus falls upon the owner/user to prove it failed within warranty-specified parameters. I dont know where they have indicators (i assume they do, like on older phones with the white stickers that turn red/pink with water exposure) inside the phone to indicate failure or abuse beyond warranty specifications.

Easy way would be to film it being dunked to 3-4 feet for 25 minutes; i know its well within spec, but IF it failed, you have a slam-dunk case as you tested well within advertised parameters and there can be no wiggle room for manufacturer whatsoever.

Also, small claims court is solid gold for cases such as this, or filing with your credit card company.
    Samsung stated "Samsung stands behind this water resistance certification, and will replace any Galaxy S7 active under its standard limited warranty, should water damage occur."

I'm not looking for concessions or admissions, I have no doubt I will be able to get a replacement if it fails. That's all that matters to me in regards to this issue.
    Slade8525 likes this.
    07-17-2016 11:15 AM
    Samsung stated "Samsung stands behind this water resistance certification, and will replace any Galaxy S7 active under its standard limited warranty, should water damage occur."

I have no doubt I will be able to get a replacement if it fails. That's all that matters to me in regards to this issue.
    same here; as with any top tier manufacturer. Never had problems with Apple or Samsung with warranty issues; Samsung fixed my S4 GPS unit out of warranty on good faith; their latest update came just after my warranty expired, and my GPS went bonkers, and it turned out to be hardware not software. They replaced and shipped it back for free, after quoting me $120 for the fix; to say the least i was quite pleased. Shortly thereafter the USB port failed, which i fixed myself for about $10; common problem, perhaps caused by their fixing my GPS unit and faulty reassembly, but i didnt care; it was easy to replace.

With any company, being firm, yet polite, and citing their claims and warranties goes a long way (I didnt have to do that; sent it in citing software as possible problem, they replaced the hardware for free after determining it was faulty, just out of warranty). I have no doubt if mine fails samsung will stand by it. To me its a non-issue.

Ive gone to (legal) war with Nikon (member of their Pro services too) over multiple faulty prime lenses (oily aperture blades contaminating lens assemblies, grinding autofocus drives), as well as faulty camera bodies (failure or sudden failure to read external battery pack power in high humidity with temps and humidity all within advertised specifications, AF servo failures on 2 Nikkor zoom lenses, lint/dust/velvet from shutter assembly coming off and marring mirror and sensor assemblies with oil and tar-like adhesive, ruining images and requiring intensive costly cleaning of back elements of multiple lenses, well within advertised specifications or temp/humidity; on 2 identical early production units) and they have been the HARDEST to get things taken care of with, but if you provide proof and keep records its a piece of cake.

Samsung, Apple, Canon, and others have been a cakewalk to deal with.
    jlczl likes this.
    07-17-2016 11:30 AM