Water Damage Replacement Using At&t

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
For those of you with water damaged phones, you can now use At&t to replace the device instead of Samsung. Samsung is estimating 9-11 business days upon receipt of the device to fix it, then a few more days to send it back. At&t has warranty repaired phones in stock and will ship one of those to you immediately and have you send yours to them. There is no charge for this as long as your phone has no previous physical damage that would void the water resistant claims which is exactly how Samsung approached this with me. The current estimated time for the new one to arrive to you is in 6 days or less. You can have the new phone expedited to you in 1-2 business days for $14.95.

Also, they have At&t corporate warranty locations thoughout the US and these centers will hand you a repaired phone on the spot if they have them in stock. They will take your broken phone and handle the return for you.

To have AT&t handle the process, call At&t and ask for the warranty department. Tell them the problem and make sure you mention its water damage. If they tell you they dont warranty water damage, have them go through their latest warranty news letter and the most recent item is that they, as of today, will replace the devices at no cost under Samsungs warranty replacement. The letter just came out this morning so most of them are unaware of it. The guy I spoke to found it in less than 5 seconds.

If your ok with getting a phone Samsung already repaired and not your original phone, this is a much faster process.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this information. Being able to go directly to the carrier, especially a corporate store and receive a replacement then and there, is such as convenience rather than waiting for Samsung.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I just worry if AT&T minions are just being apprised of the problem, how can we be certain the phones they have are up to snuff? What happens if one of these phones fail? Think I'm going to initiate another chat w/ them.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I just worry if AT&T minions are just being apprised of the problem, how can we be certain the phones they have are up to snuff? What happens if one of these phones fail? Think I'm going to initiate another chat w/ them.

The repaired phones are coming directly from Samsung so I would hope they've been repaired properly.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
No I know but with the turn-around time we're seeing from Samsung, are they really going to be able to have a pile of refurbs deep enough to cope with our issues?

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
From what Samsung said it was a short run with the manufacturing issue (take that with a grain of salt) my bet is they have just gutted a bunch new innards and case if need be and returning to service. Odds are they are not trouble shooting at this point get 'em in gut 'em test and roll 'em out. I worked with a manufacture in the military that had a issue like that..they said it was the fastest way to repair they take the old parts put them in a stack and go back later and separate the good from the bad.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
No I know but with the turn-around time we're seeing from Samsung, are they really going to be able to have a pile of refurbs deep enough to cope with our issues?

Doubtful which may require them to issue new phones as replacements in the near future. The biggest issue I have with going through Samsung is obviously the turn around time but the other problem I had with them was they repeatedly told me they could not guarantee the phone would be covered under the new repair agreement for water damaged phones. I read the Samsung statement to the phone rep at least 3 times and he told me just as many times he could not guarantee the phone would be covered. With At&t they specifically put in my notes the new policy and the fact that there would be absolutely no charges for the replacement. Im not getting my exact phone but as long as I get one thats in the same condition with no damage or scratches then I'll accept that as a fair trade. I also know that if I have multiple issues with the phone At&t will either give me a brand new one or offer to switch to another phone entirely based on previous experiences. Samsung will continue to have me ship to them and wait 9-11 days until I finally buy a different phone.

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Let us know what the Minions say...sorry all I can see now is the Minions from despicable me answering phones... View attachment 233897

totally off topic, but kids movies today, and THAT ONE in particular, are 15% of the reason we do not have children. 60% being work/continuing education, 10% being the fun toys we have right now, and the remaining 15% being that we are rather enjoying being debt free, but i am dead serious; we both HATE kids movies today and all the anthropomorphization and stupidity in them, endless sequels, etc.

then again i didnt watch much tv or many movies as a kid, and never liked cartoons either so who knows. GF same story. that and frozen are THE ONLY MOVIES half our friends and families' kids want to watch, and the adults dont shut up about them either.

i love being around kids, but DOING stuff, goofing off, whatever, NOT sitting on a couch watching them watch a screen, and when we have ours, it will be the same thing; lots of travel, lots of outdoors, family time etc.

oh, and no google glass type stuff either; dont want my kids growing up to be glassholes.

/rant.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Just got my replacement. Got a brand new, in original samsung packaging phone complete with new charging block, cable and transfer adapter. Super happy I went with at&t instead of Samsung.

Time to test it out.

Edit: Before I test it Im restoring my backup. Once thats done Im going to get the build date off it. If its anywhere near the 6-10-16 build date on my ruined one Im not going to test it. At that point I have to decide what to do.

Last edited:

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Just got my replacement. Got a brand new, in original samsung packaging phone complete with new charging block, cable and transfer adapter. Super happy I went with at&t instead of Samsung.

Time to test it out.

Edit: Before I test it Im restoring my backup. Once thats done Im going to get the build date off it. If its anywhere near the 6-10-16 build date on my ruined one Im not going to test it. At that point I have to decide what to do.

Where did you find the build date?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
New one was manufactured 6-28-16. Im not sure what to do now. I was hoping for a late July date. Probably not going to dunk this one just yet. Maybe on vacation it will go in the pool for a few.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I bought mine on June 16th and the mfr date is June 3..tight roll out, this is a pretty neat lil app thanks for sharing

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
We are going to find out it was like a two day error on the line, someone was working off a major hangover... lol...never buy a car made on Friday

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
We are going to find out it was like a two day error on the line, someone was working off a major hangover... lol...never buy a car made on Friday

Im thinking if anyones worried about having a bum device now may be the best time to test it before At&t gets a stockpile of refurbs. Im thinking I got a new one because there just arent enough used ones available yet.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I looked on line and I think there is an ATT center (the place that sends them out) an hour from me could be well worth it