Consumer Reports: Samsung won't support defective S7 Actives

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully these two will clear it up, Samsung admits that the phones are having issues with the water resistance in accordance with the IP68 Rating and will replace any phone that fails due to it https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...article.html#!/wireless/KM1114489&h=vAQGHhLQe
ATT posted the statement and acknowledged the same. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l%23%21%2Fwireless%2FKM1114489&token=HLfB175r
and here is the break out of IPXX ratings Water and Dust Resistant Rating - IP Scale defined
Not trying to beat anyone up but here is what they are saying and what the phone is supposed to comply with. I enjoy everyones input and I didn't know about the Samsung plus video chat thing but that is handy and pretty cool just installed on my phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If they are saying they will warranty exchange your phones.. Get on Video chat then if Samsung isn't honoring it.

Will AT&T do it or do you have to send it to Samsung?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Kelly, can you make a suggestion to your contact at Samsung?

1. How about Samsung add the Active line of devices (S5 Active, S6 Active and S7 Active) (and list them under devices that are eligible) to Samsung Protection Plus.

2. For the troubles of the early adopters of the S7 Actives, enroll them in Protection Plus for 2 years and waive the $99 deductibles for 2 replacements.

IT would be a nice PR gesture on Samsung's part and might even restore some confidence of the Active owners.

If Samsung can show out at the Rio Olympics and give out 12,000 S7s to athletes, they certainly can pay attention to those who support their Active line after investing in a $800 device.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
If the phone gets damaged from water, get it fixed. If it never gets damaged from water, then you will never know if it it's defective. Sounds simple to me, I wouldn't make a big deal over it.
Manufacturers aren't going to fix something until it's broken.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Kelly, can you make a suggestion to your contact at Samsung?

1. How about Samsung add the Active line of devices (S5 Active, S6 Active and S7 Active) (and list them under devices that are eligible) to Samsung Protection Plus.

2. For the troubles of the early adopters of the S7 Actives, enroll them in Protection Plus for 2 years and waive the $99 deductibles for 2 replacements.

IT would be a nice PR gesture on Samsung's part and might even restore some confidence of the Active owners.

If Samsung can show out at the Rio Olympics and give out 12,000 S7s to athletes, they certainly can pay attention to those who support their Active line after investing in a $800 device.
I can make that suggestion and will. I won't be talking to that person again until Thursday or Friday.

I don't know that it will get anywhere because it isn't consumers making the suggestion and complaint.

For Samsung it would be me telling them about "random people on the forums". It would be best if you all got something together and each one called Samsung Plus, reported it, ask it to be escalated. Enough calls about something will trigger some automatic investigation.

Asking it to be escalated higher up, gets more attention.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a very big issue with Samsung and I finally went through the steps I laid out for you guys.

They are resolving the situation completely.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
ATT will do it from what I have read here they will send a phone to you and swap out at no cost..if you want 1-2 day service from ATT it costs about 15 dollars.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
According to the letter from ATT you can but I have not heard of any success going down that path as of yet. Can anyone expand on this?

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
The phone is rated IP68. That's not some random number open to interpretation. Go google it. IP68 is a two part rating. The 6 is for protection from ingress of solids aka dust. The 8 is for protection from ingress of water. An "8" rating means an object is capable of being immersed in water under conditions specified by the manufacturer without suffering adverse effects. So they can be squishy about the warranty but if so, they should stop using the IEC's standards to advertise their products. IP68 even allows water ingress. However, it can't harm the product. The reason Samsung reacted to CR's articles is because the devices plainly didn't meet the standard and they know they can't brush off Consumer Reports with some wishy-washy legalese. They obviously don't want to honor water damage because there is no way they can know if the damage occurred within the constraints of IP68.

Kelly I'm just referring to the info you were speaking of in post 34. But it's like I said, I think we know the difference between water proof and water resistant. But if you say it's water resistant within the confines and definition of IP68, then that has a specific, internationally-recognized definition. If the product doesn't meet that standard, you are committing fraud.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
If the phone gets damaged from water, get it fixed. If it never gets damaged from water, then you will never know if it it's defective. Sounds simple to me, I wouldn't make a big deal over it.
Manufacturers aren't going to fix something until it's broken.

Thats simply not true. Every recall is done in attempts to solve a defect before it becomes a problem. If you're ok sending a device out and waiting upwards of 30 days for it to be repaired then so be it. Fortunately At&t is able to exchange the device at this point to speed up the process but for those who are using samsung to do the repair I highly doubt any of them are satisfied with the turn around time.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The phone is rated IP68. That's not some random number open to interpretation. Go google it. IP68 is a two part rating. The 6 is for protection from ingress of solids aka dust. The 8 is for protection from ingress of water. An "8" rating means an object is capable of being immersed in water under conditions specified by the manufacturer without suffering adverse effects. So they can be squishy about the warranty but if so, they should stop using the IEC's standards to advertise their products. IP68 even allows water ingress. However, it can't harm the product. The reason Samsung reacted to CR's articles is because the devices plainly didn't meet the standard and they know they can't brush off Consumer Reports with some wishy-washy legalese. They obviously don't want to honor water damage because there is no way they can know if the damage occurred within the constraints of IP68.

Kelly I'm just referring to the info you were speaking of in post 34. But it's like I said, I think we know the difference between water proof and water resistant. But if you say it's water resistant within the confines and definition of IP68, then that has a specific, internationally-recognized definition. If the product doesn't meet that standard, you are committing fraud.

The standard is.. As specified by the manufacturer. They didn't make up that rating. That rating gives everyone wiggle room.

According to what was posted earlier, seems Samsung is going to honor warranty exchanges.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
ATT will do it from what I have read here they will send a phone to you and swap out at no cost..if you want 1-2 day service from ATT it costs about 15 dollars.

Should be able to march into any retail location and get same day service. If you're not able to get to a store, get the 1-2 day service but request the $15 be waived. I understand AT&T is a business, but paying $15 to have a warranty replacement as soon as possible is a slap in the face. Oh its free if you want to wait 5-7 business days, but who does nowadays?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Should be able to march into any retail location and get same day service. If you're not able to get to a store, get the 1-2 day service but request the $15 be waived. I understand AT&T is a business, but paying $15 to have a warranty replacement as soon as possible is a slap in the face. Oh its free if you want to wait 5-7 business days, but who does nowadays?

Retail stores cant do the exchange. It has to be a local service center.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok so if AT&T is allowing taking the phones in and exchanging them, then Samsung is allowing warranty exchanges.

So I have to ask.. Doesn't that mean the issue is solved? Am I missing something?