Consumer Reports: Samsung won't support defective S7 Actives

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Ok so if AT&T is allowing taking the phones in and exchanging them, then Samsung is allowing warranty exchanges.

So I have to ask.. Doesn't that mean the issue is solved? Am I missing something?

Unfortunately its not resolved because the replacements are failing. They are giving out devices manufactured before July 8th which is when the issue was found.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. I got mine last thrusday and it was a brand new phone in the retail package with a manufacturer date 3 weeks newer than my original.
That is very odd for AT&T. They never used to do that when I was with them.

BUT.. is there a supposed problem that was corrected after a certain date?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Surely this applies to the S7 Active. Straight from the horse's mouth.

What the IP68 Standard Means
The International Electrotechnical Commission measures the degree of protection provided by enclosures, or “IP code.” IP68 means that a device must be completely dust tight, and protected against water to a maximum of 1.5 meters for 30 minutes.

For the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, now the entire device is completely water and dust resistant, even the open connection slots, like for the charger and headphones. Previous Galaxy devices required a cap to cover the USB slot, battery cover and other openings, to shield them from water and dust. But that additional cover caused some complaints from consumers about the added bulk and the inconvenience of attaching and detaching the cover when charging and transfering data.

An exclusive type of water protective tape has been applied to the front and rear glass and other parts of the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, while the use of anticorrosive materials and a corrosion-preventing coating for exposed parts on the exterior ensure these Galaxy smartphones are completely protected from water.

The microphone needs to be able to receive sound clearly, so it is protected with portable electronics vents, which allows for a good flow of air and the outflow of humidity to prevent moisture from entering the device.

Improving Processes to Get Certification

Even with all of those advancements in the latest Galaxy models, getting the demanding IP68 certification required improved process controls, including for the management of individual parts, the systemization of the assembly process and thorough quality control.

Finally, due to those many advances, improvements and changes made throughout the development process, the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge received IP68 certification. It required relentless efforts from Samsung to make the innovations necessary to earn that rating, but the benefits of having devices well protected from dust and water made it all worthwhile.

https://news.samsung.com/global/water-and-dust-protection-in-a-streamlined-form-the-ip68-feature-of-the-galaxy-s7-and-galaxy-s7-edge

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
That is very odd for AT&T. They never used to do that when I was with them.

BUT.. is there a supposed problem that was corrected after a certain date?

Yes, on July 8th the issue was found and "fixed" according to Samsung. Therefor any device made before July 8th is subject to failure. My replacement is June 28th so its probably going to fail however neither Samsung nor At&t will replace it until it fails.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But that rating allows for water resistantance according to the manufacturer decision.

BUT.. Seems Samsung is honoring exchanges. AT&T wouldn't do that without Samsung honoring them.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
So you can't do it at the store?

Is it a refurb?

Kelly, sorry for seeming like we are jumping on you but from this questions and some of your other statements, I see you aren't really up to speed with all the trials and tribulations we've hashed out in the handful of threads on this topic. We are still unlcear on a lot of the terms of the exchange/replacement process ourselves, which Consumer Reports noted in the article I linked to in my original post that started this thread, because AT&T frontline folks seem to not be up to speed yet.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Kelly, sorry for seeming like we are jumping on you but from this questions and some of your other statements, I see you aren't really up to speed with all the trials and tribulations we've hashed out in the handful of threads on this topic. We are still unlcear on a lot of the terms of the exchange/replacement process ourselves, which Consumer Reports noted in the article I linked to in my original post that started this thread, because AT&T frontline folks seem to not be up to speed yet.
Ok, if you aren't getting straight answers, I would suggest doing what I said earlier.

You guys come up with your list of questions, etc. How things will be handled, new phones, manufactured after a certain date, what you can expect from the new phone.

Each of you contact Samsung Plus, get the ticket escalated through the steps I gave you guys.

Go around AT&T, go directly to Samsung. Be organized, go through the app to contact them, write down notes, ticket numbers and names. Very few people in that department.

I did it, I was one person and one issue. Samsung came through.

I would highly recommend you guys handle it this way. You might can get it resolved pretty quickly.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, on July 8th the issue was found and "fixed" according to Samsung. Therefor any device made before July 8th is subject to failure. My replacement is June 28th so its probably going to fail however neither Samsung nor At&t will replace it until it fails.
I would go through the same steps I said earlier. Start with Samsung Plus.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, if you aren't getting straight answers, I would suggest doing what I said earlier.

You guys come up with your list of questions, etc. How things will be handled, new phones, manufactured after a certain date, what you can expect from the new phone.

Each of you contact Samsung Plus, get the ticket escalated through the steps I gave you guys.

Go around AT&T, go directly to Samsung. Be organized, go through the app to contact them, write down notes, ticket numbers and names. Very few people in that department.

I did it, I was one person and one issue. Samsung came through.

I would highly recommend you guys handle it this way. You might can get it resolved pretty quickly.
Too add.. One person I have discussed with in great detail, is one of the managers and supervisors on Samsung Plus. She got all this rolling for me and got an entire group of people from several departments.

She also became my sole contact and I would call the video app, leave a message for her to call. She calls me daily, except the days she is off, so I only need to call her if something new comes up.

Samsung Plus said they know 800 Samsung has been a problem and left a stain. I really think they are working to clear that up.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Kelly part of the problem is this, AT&T seems to be more helpful than Samsung at this point. Our main issues are (and I'm not doing this in lieu of what you suggested, just explaining to you)

-We don't know which phones are affected other than guessing the problem was fixed when Samsung acknowledged the defect. Samsung won't release any way we can identify the phones by serial number.

-This leads to the second problem, we have no way of knowing our phone has a problem unless we dunk it and damage it. Then we are out a phone until we can get a replacement.

-We can't short circuit that process because of the next issue-Samsung and AT&T are telling us they're only replacing damaged phones

-I think many of us feel it's kind of "cruddy" that Samsung is not officially offering us a new phone for their screwup. I'm fine with a refurb if I drop my phone and break it. But for an acknowledged defect? Why should I have to do that? I mean, I received my phone about 2-3 days before the CR article hit. And I bought it specifically to replace a water damaged phone. That's a punch in the gut. I should have returned it in the original 14 days to AT&T.

-What happens if we baby our phones for a year and then lose them to water? We're out of luck as far as Samsung is concerned. That's why CR has requested they extend their warranty on our phones.

When I get a free moment this evening, I'm going to start trying both AT&T and Samsung on this process.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I understand all that.

That's why I'm suggesting you go through Samsung Plus.

Tell them what you want exactly to be satisfied.

I did and they are doing it.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
It's interesting how this thread blew up all of a sudden. I was under the impression that people were already getting their phones replaced if they had any issues. There is comments on record from both AT&T and Samsung that they stand behind the product and will replace any phone that gets water damaged within a year so I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
jlczl, the fuss and I think rightfully so is that you bought a phone on Oh June 16th, three weeks later Consumer Reports breaks that the phones are failing...well, now you cant exchange it, so you have the phone. Samsung will not tell you what batch of phones are possibly bad, and the only way to tell for sure is to take your phone for a swim. Now you can send it back to Samsung for repair and wait for weeks (all this time with out your 800 dollar phone which you are probably still paying on), or you can request a exchange from AT&T and either wait 7-10 days or pay 15 dollars (rounded number) for an expedited exchange, oh and that exchange from AT&T may be from the batch that failed and the only way to know is to dunk it again and possibly get to do this whole hokey pokey again. I think the best thing to do at this point from a AT&T/Samsung standpoint is say "Hey we had a problem we fixed it, we will either protect your phone via warrenty for two years if it was made before date X or you can contact us and we will send you a replacement that was made after we found the issue."

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting how this thread blew up all of a sudden. I was under the impression that people were already getting their phones replaced if they had any issues. There is comments on record from both AT&T and Samsung that they stand behind the product and will replace any phone that gets water damaged within a year so I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about.
There are still some questions about phones with no damage before the specific manufacturer date and will they get phones after the specific manufacturer date.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
jlczl, the fuss and I think rightfully so is that you bought a phone on Oh June 16th, three weeks later Consumer Reports breaks that the phones are failing...well, now you cant exchange it, so you have the phone. Samsung will not tell you what batch of phones are possibly bad, and the only way to tell for sure is to take your phone for a swim. Now you can send it back to Samsung for repair and wait for weeks (all this time with out your 800 dollar phone which you are probably still paying on), or you can request a exchange from AT&T and either wait 7-10 days or pay 15 dollars (rounded number) for an expedited exchange, oh and that exchange from AT&T may be from the batch that failed and the only way to know is to dunk it again and possibly get to do this whole hokey pokey again. I think the best thing to do at this point from a AT&T/Samsung standpoint is say "Hey we had a problem we fixed it, we will either protect your phone via warrenty for two years if it was made before date X or you can contact us and we will send you a replacement that was made after we found the issue."
There is also the retention department at AT&T. They have the authority to send out a new phone to you, overnight, for whatever reason they want to.

You have to be ready to tell them you are willing to walk and they need to make you happy.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
The fuss is, like I was saying, that those of us that haven't had issues have no way of knowing IF we are affected. Why should we dunk our phones to find out and then be out a phone while we wait for a replacement?

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
this would be great, do you have a number for them, once again no one wants to have to test a phone to find out if it fails. I guess the big thing is most of us would want a phone with a MFR date after July 15th or so.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
this would be great, do you have a number for them, once again no one wants to have to test a phone to find out if it fails. I guess the big thing is most of us would want a phone with a MFR date after July 15th or so.
For AT&T? I always called 611 and asked for the retention department.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The fuss is, like I was saying, that those of us that haven't had issues have no way of knowing IF we are affected. Why should we dunk our phones to find out and then be out a phone while we wait for a replacement?

Why do you think Samsung has the capability to track this issue by serial number? That's unrealistic given that the issue on the assembly is probably not happening at a specific rate of occurrence and has a somewhat "random" pattern of occurrence.

So yeah, your situation sucks, but it appears that solutions have been presented in this thread. Do them. Not happy with the process? Complain more.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Lol, I love how this thread has drawn in more folks that haven't noticed this issue til now. We've had a handful of threads (at least) on water dating back to before Consumer Reports caught this in early July. We've BEEN complaining. We HAVE talked to people. I started this thread merely to point our Consumer Reports noted our ongoing issues and added its concerns to the chorus. We've only had to restate our issues because some of you are evidently just hearing about this for the first time.