Consumer Reports: Samsung won't support defective S7 Actives

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
No one is really complaining we would just like the most expedited way to resolve an issue that has plagued this series of phone, many folks have gotten the run around and I would like to thank Kelly Kearns for some good insights today and some helpful suggestions. As per Serial number/date etc people are looking for any clue on how to find out if the phone is possibly out of the run with the manufacturing error that Samsung acknowleged. Now companies run products by serial numbers vin numbers etc to track them, if serial number 123456 was found to have the issue and it was corrected on serial number 123457 any phone prior to that serial number may have the issue or you could say any phone made before date x may have the issue. Trust me they know what factory and line the issue came from they can narrow it down a bit for the consumer, and that is all we are asking it a window to look at for fails. With different people talking to Samsung and ATT this is a great forum to pass on information and maybe help someone out, once again I refer to Kelly, she brought a lot to the table today and I cant speak for everyone but from my view it is truly appreciated.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol, I love how this thread has drawn in more folks that haven't noticed this issue til now. We've had a handful of threads (at least) on water dating back to before Consumer Reports caught this in early July. We've BEEN complaining. We HAVE talked to people. I started this thread merely to point our Consumer Reports noted our ongoing issues and added its concerns to the chorus. We've only had to restate our issues because some of you are evidently just hearing about this for the first time.
To be fair, most of us that have Samsungs aren't with AT&T and those of us with AT&T aren't Samsung owners.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No one is really complaining we would just like the most expedited way to resolve an issue that has plagued this series of phone, many folks have gotten the run around and I would like to thank Kelly Kearns for some good insights today and some helpful suggestions. As per Serial number/date etc people are looking for any clue on how to find out if the phone is possibly out of the run with the manufacturing error that Samsung acknowleged. Now companies run products by serial numbers vin numbers etc to track them, if serial number 123456 was found to have the issue and it was corrected on serial number 123457 any phone prior to that serial number may have the issue or you could say any phone made before date x may have the issue. Trust me they know what factory and line the issue came from they can narrow it down a bit for the consumer, and that is all we are asking it a window to look at for fails. With different people talking to Samsung and ATT this is a great forum to pass on information and maybe help someone out, once again I refer to Kelly, she brought a lot to the table today and I cant speak for everyone but from my view it is truly appreciated.
That's what we are here for. I've been through the wringer this last couple of weeks with Samsung. I'm also a Samsung only phone buyer.

I know your pain and frustration contacting Samsung. I made some noise at Samsung and for me to stay I required that calling Samsung wasn't like the 7th Level of Hell. I'm assured no Samsung Plus experience will be that way.

I will be testing them in the next few months and posting about it.

I requested they look through some years of repairs not being handled and that needs to be addressed. My phone is there now, it is taking a little longer because it is going to the President's Office dept to make sure the repairs are done.

These two things help all of us. I talked to them about forum members not wanting to call Samsung and that I understand.

I asked for one thing for all my trouble, they agreed.

I like Samsung phones, I don't want to leave, but I was ready. Better customer service is better for all of us.

If y'all go through these steps and don't get any resolution, let me know, I'll contact the Supervisor, ask her if I can give you her name and you can call and leave a message for her to call you.

She said if people called Samsung Plus and an agent wasn't helpful, then they want to know.

Hopefully this works out for all of you, but understand with Samsung, you also might have to send a phone in. I know that is bad, just the way it is sometimes.

Last edited:

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Likewise. I'm still a fan of this niche phone despite all the issues and bad press. Being on the S6 Active and S7 Active forums, I've learned quite a bit from users. At times, I may bash Samsung for what I feel is good reason. I've come to expect a high-quality product backed by an appropriate level of customer service.

Last year around this time, I was puzzled with how much resistance I received in regards to what was covered under warranty with the S6 Active. I've had water damage 2 times over the past year which required me to send it in to the repair center. I can assure ANYONE that this process wears down my patience as a consumer. Level 1 support at Samsung is equivalent to a "people greeter" at Walmart. They smile at the door, repeat your problem and MIGHT send you in the right direction.

Getting transferred to support and repair center technicians is no walk in the park either. Long wait times, listening to looping playback advertising the features of the S5 is what I've come to expect when getting on the phone with them. Maybe I'll try Samsung Plus support.

My Active is supposed to arrive tomorrow from the repair center with the LCD/PBA components replaced. Hopefully this is the last time I'll need it serviced. Good luck to everyone in here!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Likewise. I'm still a fan of this niche phone despite all the issues and bad press. Being on the S6 Active and S7 Active forums, I've learned quite a bit from users. At times, I may bash Samsung for what I feel is good reason. I've come to expect a high-quality product backed by an appropriate level of customer service.

Last year around this time, I was puzzled with how much resistance I received in regards to what was covered under warranty with the S6 Active. I've had water damage 2 times over the past year which required me to send it in to the repair center. I can assure ANYONE that this process wears down my patience as a consumer. Level 1 support at Samsung is equivalent to a "people greeter" at Walmart. They smile at the door, repeat your problem and MIGHT send you in the right direction.

Getting transferred to support and repair center technicians is no walk in the park either. Long wait times, listening to looping playback advertising the features of the S5 is what I've come to expect when getting on the phone with them. Maybe I'll try Samsung Plus support.

My Active is supposed to arrive tomorrow from the repair center with the LCD/PBA components replaced. Hopefully this is the last time I'll need it serviced. Good luck to everyone in here!
Just always try Samsung Plus. Hit the "call button" when you open video chat. You can turn your camera on or off anytime. You can always see the rep.

This is for customer care, tech support or setting up repair. They can also get you to the repair dept.
c24380a223e38cb042536889c1e73313.jpg

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Look guys, sorry if I'm testy on this but every time we start a thread on the topic, someone gets told they are being unreasonable. Either for expecting the phone to work as advertised and/or for not being happy with Samsung's refusal to let us know if our phones are affected. I, at least, obviously don't think so and that's why I HAVE complained to AT&T and Consumer Reports. I thought it worth complaining to Consumer Reports because Samsung seems to have its heels dug in. Consumer Reports has now run three articles on this topic so I feel somewhat validated. The earliest threads we have on here with this topic DO have people contacting Samsung. They went through a weeks long process of getting their phone tested and repaired or replaced. I merely started this specific thread to point out article #3 by Consumer Reports points out the same issues some of us have run into in trying to get the phones replaced.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Look guys, sorry if I'm testy on this but every time we start a thread on the topic, someone gets told they are being unreasonable. Either for expecting the phone to work as advertised and/or for not being happy with Samsung's refusal to let us know if our phones are affected. I, at least, obviously don't think so and that's why I HAVE complained to AT&T and Consumer Reports. I thought it worth complaining to Consumer Reports because Samsung seems to have its heels dug in. Consumer Reports has now run three articles on this topic so I feel somewhat validated. The earliest threads we have on here with this topic DO have people contacting Samsung. They went through a weeks long process of getting their phone tested and repaired or replaced. I merely started this specific thread to point out article #3 by Consumer Reports points out the same issues some of us have run into in trying to get the phones replaced.

I don't think you're being unreasonable. If they advertise it can be submerged and take photos and whatnot and it's not actually safe to do that... then I think that's false advertising, even if there is fine print that says not to do that. I personally wouldn't trust a phone in water, it's electronic and that is bonkers to me, but would I be less careful if I knew it were supposed to be resistant? Hell yes, that's possible. And if I use my phone in the way I saw it being used in a commercial and it broke, I'd be talking to the manufacturer about replacing it. I understand their position that they don't want to proactively replace a bunch of phones - however I think they ought to replace all of them if there is a defect that causes this to be more problematic than on other versions. So.. IMO, Samsung and AT&T should be working together to call each consumer that bought one and offering a replacement or refund.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you never get it wet and it still works in ain't broke.
Some people worry too much about things that don't matter.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't think folks are worrying about things that don't matter they are saying they paid good hard earned money for a product because of certain advertised features. Myself I live in an area where we get heavy rains for me the water resistance and IP68 rating has some meaning, if I'm caught in a down pour (let me tell you its like having buckets dumped on you) and my phone fails after it was stated to be water resistant for upto 3 meters for 30 min and a rain storm kills it off, that's not right. From reading the posts around here some people have had the phone splashed and it failed...I think everyone is just saying make it right ATT and Samsung, we don't want to beat you up or tar and feather you but we would like a fair and honest resolution.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
To be fair, most of us that have Samsungs aren't with AT&T and those of us with AT&T aren't Samsung owners.
I dont get what you are saying here? Dont understand what one thing has to do with the other.
Samsung owners arent on At&t and At&t customers dont own Samsungs.. Huh?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I dont get what you are saying here? Dont understand what one thing has to do with the other.
Samsung owners arent on At&t and At&t customers dont own Samsungs.. Huh?
No.

Several team members have been on the thread today, this is when it "exploded". It was discussed how it just got sudden attention and it was an ongoing problem.

The S7 Active is exclusive to AT&T, so there weren't a lot of team members in the thread before, because we don't have the S7 Active available to us. Since it isn't a phone we own, we might not be keeping up with the issue like other S7A owners.

Those team members that have AT&T service generally aren't big Samsung phone people, so they might not be aware of this issue.

Clear?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh and guys, if there is a resolution or you can't get one, post here or shoot me a PM.

I'm interested in knowing the resolution or if you can't come to one with Samsung, I'm willing to reach out to my contact and see if she will reach out to you. I can not promise anything but that I will contact her and ask.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you never get it wet and it still works in ain't broke.
Some people worry too much about things that don't matter.
This is the mentality that allows companies to falsely advertise products and get away with it. I think what your not understanding is the phone is advertised and sold with the ability to get it wet. Your answer to the problem is to now not get it wet. If I wanted to worry about my phone getting wet I wouldnt have paid $800 for an ip68 rated phone. If your car shut off in 2nd gear would you just skip 2nd gear?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Oh and guys, if there is a resolution or you can't get one, post here or shoot me a PM.

I'm interested in knowing the resolution or if you can't come to one with Samsung, I'm willing to reach out to my contact and see if she will reach out to you. I can not promise anything but that I will contact her and ask.
Appreciate that. Ill be testing my replacement this weekend and will report back how it goes. If this one fails I will most likely request a standard s7 from At&t.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate that. Ill be testing my replacement this weekend and will report back how it goes. If this one fails I will most likely request a standard s7 from At&t.
If it fails there is the option to go through Samsung Plus and see about an escalation to find out if they will guarantee getting you one that is corrected.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Kelly, so far the resolutions have been to send the phone to Samsung to be evaluated and repaired, this seems from what I have read here to take an extremely long time and the whole time you are with out a phone unless you have a back up. The other solution is to get with AT&T and have them send you a phone which is 7-10 business days, unless you pay for rush shipment which is 15 dollars. Now here is the Catch with AT&T, there is no way to know if the phone you are getting from them has been made before or after the production error was found, the only way to find out is to dunk again. I think I can safely speak for all of us on this thread, what we would truly like would be to be able to exchange our phones for ones made after the issue had been corrected. I know that is not a popular policy with Samsung but as I sit here the people that seem concerned about it on this board number about 20 or so, that is a small number to deal with and would probably do wonders for the image of Samsung and what comes off this board. I know my manufacture date is 2016.6.03 which is right in that window of them having issues. I personally would like to swap out with a model after the issue had been addressed, heck I would go to an edge (same cost ) if that was better for Samsung, I just don't want to have to sit for a year wondering if that splash of water will be the last one for my phone. I purchased mine on June 16 and would be beside myself mad if it got caught in a rain storm a year later on June 17 and had water damage and Samsung said well you had a year to find out. Either that or a lot of us are going to be drown proofing our phones two months prior to the 1 year anniversary of purchase..which seems to be a sad way to have to fix the problem. Sorry for the long ramble all :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think some of that is AT&T. Samsung doesn't care if they give you a refurb or new in the box. Samsung has told me before that a carrier should give you a new in the box for a warranty exchange.

Seems to me that AT&T can pick a phone manufactured after a certain date and they would be working with Samsung to send those others back they have in stock.

It is weird that AT&T isn't sending their inventory before that time if Samsung is saying there is a known issue.

Calling 611 and asking for the retention department, being firm and if you have Uverse also or multiple accounts or lines, throw that out there.

Tell them TMO will buy out everything you have with AT&T and charge you about half the price.

That isn't a lie. At minimum you might can get a nice credit that more than covers any expense from you.

At maximum they will send you out the phone you are wanting. Tell them the most you want, maybe a little more, then you have something to "concede in the spirit of compromise" if necessary.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
This is the mentality that allows companies to falsely advertise products and get away with it. I think what your not understanding is the phone is advertised and sold with the ability to get it wet. Your answer to the problem is to now not get it wet. If I wanted to worry about my phone getting wet I wouldnt have paid $800 for an ip68 rated phone. If your car shut off in 2nd gear would you just skip 2nd gear?
I didn't say to never get it wet. I said IF you never get it wet, the phone could not possibly be damaged from water and you would never know if it was one of the "defective" devices.
If you do get it wet and it gets damaged you could get it fixed under warranty.
The phone has a one year warranty from Samsung.
If you want to know if you have one of the defective devices, get it wet within the one-year warranty period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX