Consumer Reports: Samsung won't support defective S7 Actives

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I read your story and I feel for you and I agree with you being upset. That's not what I'm talking about here. What I have seen is that AT&T is willing to send out a replacement within two days for a fee of $15. Everyone's upset about $15!? Even the guy that has $165 in his pocket that he shouldn't!? That is plain out ridiculous.
They should send it out overnight and it should be free shipping and it should be manufactured past the Samsung admitted date.

When TMO sent my phone, there is a $20 charge for warranty exchange with them. TMO knew Samsung screwed up, they didn't charge me the $20. I have 2 accounts with TMO, only one was moved for 6 years to AT&T and it came back to TMO a year ago. I don't have to ask TMO to waive that fee, they offer it. They know I'm a loyal customer, because I've been with them since it was PowerTel.

Samsung asked me if I had to pay a fee. I told them TMO charges one but they credited me. TMO wanted to make sure I was taken care of by them, regardless of what Samsung did or didn't do. Customer service like that is why I returned a 5 line account to TMO and have a 2 line account that has been there since the late 90's.

Carriers and manufacturers like to put blame on each other. The one that gets stuck in the middle ends up being the customer.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Because Samsung said "we identified a manufacturing defect and we fixed it on day xyz".

I had a Logitech remote that had issues. Mine didn't but mine was in the group and it was new. Logitech told me to send it to them and they would replace it.

Since yours was in the group I understand it being replaced. There is phones out there that are not in this group of defective phones so why would they call everyone to send out a blanket statement for everyone to get replacements before a set date if it doesn't affect everyone. There's different manufacturing runs/groups.

Could they? Do I think it would be a good idea? Yes.
Do they have to? No.
It is so easy to find out if you have a defective device it's almost laughable so I can't understand why someone wouldn't test their phone especially further on towards the end of the year so they could be sure. It's not like loading up a pickup truck with thousands of pounds of rocks or something.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Since yours was in the group I understand it being replaced. There is phones out there that are not in this group of defective phones so why would they call everyone to send out a blanket statement for everyone to get replacements before a set date if it doesn't affect everyone. There's different manufacturing runs/groups.

Could they? Do I think it would be a good idea? Yes.
Do they have to? No.
It is so easy to find out if you have a defective device it's almost laughable so I can't understand why someone wouldn't test their phone especially further on towards the end of the year so they could be sure. It's not like loading up a pickup truck with thousands of pounds of rocks or something.
Yes theirs are in the group. Samsung said we made a mistake and we fixed it on June 15th or whatever day it was. Their phones were manufactured BEFORE Samsung fixed the admitted problem.

PLaBar

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I still maintain my opinion that I posted last month that Samsung should extend the warranty to THIS specific issue for 2 years. After that, I can upgrade if I do hit a problem. I'll be SOL if it happens to me one year from now. And really, why do I have to go through the hassle of testing and replacing it if it does affect my phone?

Outstanding customer service would be AT&T calling or sending me an email saying something like, "Samsung has acknowledged a possible issue with your S7 Active phone in regards to the IP68 rating when being in the water. We don't want you to worry about that and want to eliminate any risk. Therefore, we would like to exchange your phone for free. Please visit any retail store or call us (free shipping) to get a new S7 Active at your convenience."

I can dream, right? :)

100% AGREE... it's not a dream, it's exactly what should be done. This is the action taken by a company that advocates for their customers. That puts customers first.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
They should send it out overnight and it should be free shipping and it should be manufactured past the Samsung admitted date.

When TMO sent my phone, there is a $20 charge for warranty exchange with them. TMO knew Samsung screwed up, they didn't charge me the $20. I have 2 accounts with TMO, only one was moved for 6 years to AT&T and it came back to TMO a year ago. I don't have to ask TMO to waive that fee, they offer it. They know I'm a loyal customer, because I've been with them since it was PowerTel.

Samsung asked me if I had to pay a fee. I told them TMO charges one but they credited me. TMO wanted to make sure I was taken care of by them, regardless of what Samsung did or didn't do. Customer service like that is why I returned a 5 line account to TMO and have a 2 line account that has been there since the late 90's.

Carriers and manufacturers like to put blame on each other. The one that gets stuck in the middle ends up being the customer.
I have service with T-Mobile on my unlocked S7 active as well and I have had really good success stories but I have also had really bad horror stories of customer service through them. It's the same with every company. You will have horrible stories one day and amazing ones the next. And if you think that your loyalty to them is really worth anything well then you haven't been around that long. At some point or another someone is not going to care and is going to treat you in a way that you don't like. That's just life.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Honestly this sounds as sort of an entitled way of thinking. Any product can have a defect and when that happens, unfortunately it is a pain but, we do have to go through the process of getting things exchanged. I would have an issue with them if they refused to do so but if they don't, I really don't see the problem. I can start to see that there is some people that expect to be treated like if they were royalty even to the point of being reimbursed $165 for something that was not even the company's fault. So at this point you have $165 in your pocket that you really shouldn't. Why not just see that as recompense for you having to pay for 2 day shipping $15. Really guys? Talk about entitled. SMH.

The real world isn't littered with golden apples, this is the way it works.

I just paid AT&T $800 for a phone that may or may not work properly. I DO think I'm "entitled" to have it function as advertised. I DO think I'm "entitled" to find out if it's defective without potentially damaging it and being without a phone while it get repaired or replaced. AT&T won't take my phone back unless it's damaged. I've tried. I'm glad your phone works but we've seen on here plenty of folks who haven't had the same success. And, again (and again) the reason I started this thread is just to point out it's not just 1-2 (entitled) people rambling in a forum. CR has had their folks experience the same runaround with Samsung and AT&T. And yes, I do think loyalty matters. I pay for 4 cell phones every month, landline, and directtv from these folks. My combined bill for that is about $700 a month. I'm not some broke scammer trying to get a freebie.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also you can test it, but then you are a day minimum without a phone when it fails. I don't even have a landline in my house anymore.

One that got their phone replaced because it was defective, still didn't get a phone made after that date. If Samsung is admitting they corrected a problem, they should have AT&T return all phones manufacturered before that date. AT&T is giving those phones as warranty replacements.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It is like they do with a car recall. If your car falls in that time, you get it fixed and a free rental car, without waiting for it to fail.

Last edited:

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not some broke scammer trying to get a freebie.

Really? Because you just admitted to getting $165 that you're really shouldn't have. Maybe that's why we're having to pay those fifteen bucks to reimburse AT&T for giving out credit where credit's not deserved.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Also you can test it, but then you are a day minimum without a phone when it fails. I don't even have a landline in my house anymore.

One that got their phone replaced because it was defective, still didn't get a phone made after that date. If Samsung is admitting they corrected a problem, they should have AT&T return all phones manufacturered before that date. AT&T is giving those phones as warranty replacements.
This I agree with. Make certain I get a replacement from a manufacturing run that was done after the defect was detected and repaired.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes theirs are in the group. Samsung said we made a mistake and we fixed it on June 15th or whatever day it was. Their phones were manufactured BEFORE Samsung fixed the admitted problem.
So was mine and it has been dunked thoroughly and been in a few feet of water in a pool for some time without showing any water damage. Not every phone manufacturered before that date is part of or has this manufacturing defect.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have service with T-Mobile on my unlocked S7 active as well and I have had really good success stories but I have also had really bad horror stories of customer service through them. It's the same with every company. You will have horrible stories one day and amazing ones the next. And if you think that your loyalty to them is really worth anything well then you haven't been around that long. At some point or another someone is not going to care and is going to treat you in a way that you don't like. That's just life.
No it isn't the way it is. I pulled 5 lines from TMO 7 years ago over a $5 credit they refused to give. I pulled a major account over $5 after about 10 years with them. It wasn't about the $5, it was the principle.

I don't deal with regular customer care with TMO. I deal with TForce or Executive Customer Care only. When coming back the employee and the manager messed things up so much bringing up back. It took me weeks to get it corrected. All TMO had to do was give credit for the amount the store screwed up. They did more.

Why? They know I'm loyal and a good customer and I was giving them a second chance. I never have a bad customer experience with TMO anymore.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
No it isn't the way it is. I pulled 5 lines from TMO 7 years ago over a $5 credit they refused to give. I pulled a major account over $5 after about 10 years with them. It wasn't about the $5, it was the principle.

I don't deal with regular customer care with TMO. I deal with TForce or Executive Customer Care only. When coming back the employee and the manager messed things up so much bringing up back. It took me weeks to get it corrected. All TMO had to do was give credit for the amount the store screwed up. They did more.

Why? They know I'm loyal and a good customer and I was giving them a second chance. I never have a bad customer experience with TMO anymore.
Oh, okay. I'm starting to get a clearer picture. Apparently you have this issue frequently or have in the past and like to complain further up the chain of command (for a $5 credit, really).

I get you. I know people that are like that and somehow for some reason they always seem to get the short end of the stick. I feel for you. I hope you get the issue resolved that you're currently going through.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Really? Because you just admitted to getting $165 that you're really shouldn't have. Maybe that's why we're having to pay those fifteen bucks to reimburse AT&T for giving out credit where credit's not deserved.

No he isn't a scammer. AT&T offered to do it, he didn't try and cheat AT&T. Loyalty credits are a part of a customer service based business.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So was mine and it has been dunked thoroughly and been in a few feet of water in a pool for some time without showing any water damage. Not every phone manufacturered before that date is part of or has this manufacturing defect.
My airbags also had been tested and never had the problem that has killed people. But when a problem was identified, mine were replaced even though they were tested and didn't fail.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
No he isn't a scammer. AT&T offered to do it, he didn't try and cheat AT&T. Loyalty credits are a part of a customer service based business.
Really? Quote:

I had some crazy international charges recently because of my own ignorance with international travel. I called and complained, pleading ignorance.

If that's not trying to scam a service rep to give you a credit you know you don't deserve then I don't know what is.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh, okay. I'm starting to get a clearer picture. Apparently you have this issue frequently or have in the past and like to complain further up the chain of command (for a $5 credit, really).

I get you. I know people that are like that and somehow for some reason they always seem to get the short end of the stick. I feel for you. I hope you get the issue resolved that you're currently going through.
No you don't get me. The store lied about the iPhone we were buying and therefore we didn't get the deal we were offered.

The manager didn't turn in one iPhone we turned it and we weren't going to get $600 worth of ETF.

No you don't know me. I work with the public, I understand how these things work. Do what you say you will do, don't cost me extra money.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Really? Quote:

If that's not trying to scam a service rep to give you a credit you know you don't deserve then I don't know what is.
He said he it was his ignorance and he called and pleaded ignorance. He didn't get the credit. Another customer service rep gave it to him later.

What is the scam?

It was my ignorance.
I called and said it was my ignorance.