Consumer Reports: Samsung won't support defective S7 Actives

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, I just wanted to make sure what I have done is comparable to what you had done. So I think a foot of water for about 3 min should have proofed mine pretty well, I popped the sim tray and no sign of water....no fogging so I think I got a good one.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, I just wanted to make sure what I have done is comparable to what you had done. So I think a foot of water for about 3 min should have proofed mine pretty well, I popped the sim tray and no sign of water....no fogging so I think I got a good one.
Yeah if yours is acting normal and theres no fogging you should be good. I just said screw it and set mine in a bowl of water for 5 minutes. So far its fine but my last one was fine also for a while. Im getting to the point with these actives that Im almost looking for a reason to buy an Axon 7.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad the one I got seems to have been in the "good" batch. If the rumors are true about the next iPhone being water proof Samsung is going to have to step up their game, because this wont fly next time.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Those iPhone rumors have been around for a while. It would be nice if Apple caught up on many fronts.

Agreed. I just came back to android after many years of ios. Imo ios is so far behind its embarrassing. Theres a few things about the s7 Active Im not "satisfied" with but while on vacation everyone else had iphones and kept stealing mine to take pictures or use google maps for navigation or play music. There wasnt a single day I had to charge my phone before midnight. My wife stole my 10000 mah battery pack and literally had her iphone 6 plugged into it nonstop with the pack in her pocket. My oldest has a 6 plus and she charged at least once during the day. At the end of the day this phone is amazing but the water damage is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth. If this replacement doesnt hold up I cant see myself sticking with this phone.

And even though it shouldnt bother me, I feel kinda slighted that At&t didnt send me a new phone in the retail box.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. One thing I did like about my Moto X pure is the voice commands and larger screen for GPS. The S6 active feels so small in my hands now but I love this phone.

I'll have to get a Note 7 to match the screen size.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. One thing I did like about my Moto X pure is the voice commands and larger screen for GPS. The S6 active feels so small in my hands now but I love this phone.

I'll have to get a Note 7 to match the screen size.
A friend of mine just got the note 7 today from tmobile and I got to play with it for a few. Its incredibly comfortable and the size is almost perfect. Its a little tall but the width was great. The one downside was its screen. Hes had it for about 6 hours now and its already scratched. That would drive me insane but he couldnt care less.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine just got the note 7 today from tmobile and I got to play with it for a few. Its incredibly comfortable and the size is almost perfect. Its a little tall but the width was great. The one downside was its screen. Hes had it for about 6 hours now and its already scratched. That would drive me insane but he couldnt care less.
I just received a Note 7 in blue coral that I will be handing to my daughter in a couple of weeks (I need to test it thoroughly lol) but the first thing I did was put a screen protector on it. I had them put it on at the store because I saw that YouTube video that showed how the Note 7 glass is softer than the S7 and scratches much more easily.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just received a Note 7 in blue coral that I will be handing to my daughter in a couple of weeks (I need to test it thoroughly lol) but the first thing I did was put a screen protector on it. I had them put it on at the store because I saw that YouTube video that showed how the Note 7 glass is softer than the S7 and scratches much more easily.

No one wants a scratched up screen. Samsung needs to work on addressing this for future phone releases.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
As much as I would love a Note 7, I came to my Active from an iPhone 6 Plus. The size is great but it sure does make it a bit of a pain to carry around sometimes. Besides, my 6 Plus IS my backup now, lol. I still think Samsung is trailing Apple in battery LIFE, if not size. It's the only small issue I have other than the waterproofing debacle. Maybe I just am using my phone more and don't realize it. But my batt life seems the same as my iPhone. Speaking of issues, that gives me a whole other thread to start re ATT.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No one wants a scratched up screen. Samsung needs to work on addressing this for future phone releases.

100% Agree. Even though we're on Gorilla Glass 5, it seems like the formula isn't quite perfect. At one end of the spectrum you can have a thin layer of glass that has a higher probability of shattering and then on the other end you have polycarbonate or some type of hybrid material that is not as scratch resistant as we'd like, but is less likely to shatter.

All glass looks and feels best until the device is dropped and it webs into a hundred pieces.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
As much as I would love a Note 7, I came to my Active from an iPhone 6 Plus. The size is great but it sure does make it a bit of a pain to carry around sometimes. Besides, my 6 Plus IS my backup now, lol. I still think Samsung is trailing Apple in battery LIFE, if not size. It's the only small issue I have other than the waterproofing debacle. Maybe I just am using my phone more and don't realize it. But my batt life seems the same as my iPhone. Speaking of issues, that gives me a whole other thread to start re ATT.

Your getting the same battery life on your Active as your 6 plus? I came from a 6, to a 6 plus to the edge and now the active with a moto x pure in there a few times. I never got anywhere near the battery life I get on android on my ios devices. My kid has my 6 plus and she still cant get more than 6 hours screen on time. I consistently get 8 hours on all 3 of the Actives Ive had. Once I disabled google services background data my battery life destroys every other phone around me. Its the only reason I havent switched devices yet.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I disabled a lot. I download a lot of apps. I have most of them on automatic power saving or whatever, but still... But see, that's the thing, I don't understand why we have to disable everything to get good battery life. Obviously, the more you have turned off, the better. But I never had this issue with my iPhone. I think I had SOME of the location services disabled, but not all. I always had bluetooth, wifi, and the like turned on. But there's something I was doing right on my phone that my wife wasn't. Her battery life on her 6 never compared to mine.

But again, I really don't want to stew on battery life too much. It's fine for what I need it for and I still usually make it through the day ok.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe that's why Gorilla Glass hasn't quite come around yet? They're just increasing the quality every 2 years. But don't make it too tough...people will stop buying cases and tempered glass protectors.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I've been away for several days vacationing.. So everyone seems to be good with good replacements now?

I tested mine once and was fine but truth be told Ive moved away from the Active for now. I bought a Note 7 which I ended up not liking so it got returned and if things go as planned Ill be picking up an Axon 7 this afternoon. I plan on keeping the Active for the times I want more ruggedness and waterproofing. The way Im looking at it is if it fails then whatever Ill just get another one. Its become the device I dont really respect or care about due to the issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc