Consumer Reports: Samsung won't support defective S7 Actives

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You know it seems like someone at Samsung did say that with this rating on the phone that the phone might need to sit out and dry a bit before using. I'm not 100% on that though, I can't remember then if she was talking about the S5 or the S7 and Note 7..

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Well I haven't intentionally dunked mine but I've had it in some nasty conditions in my pocket through days of sweat mixed with getting caught in the rain. I cracked my glass screen protector but otherwise the phone has been great. And in Power saving mode, I've had 75% left after having it off charger for 10-12 hrs.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been away for several days vacationing.. So everyone seems to be good with good replacements now?

I'm getting the full Samsung experience in terms of the repair process and customer support. Days after I got my S6 Active back, the device was overheating and dropping calls. I had to open another ticket and send it back in. This time around I felt the need to write a letter and get on the phone. BTW I went the Samsung Plus route as well where I was walked through a number of steps to resolve the issue. I appreciate the efforts towards greater customer service, but at this point I need a bit more attention.

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Samsung this afternoon to escalate the issue and get the response I was looking for. All repairs, chat transcripts, time without my device, and my experience with the device in general has been well documented and sent in for review.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and advice with customer support.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the full Samsung experience in terms of the repair process and customer support. Days after I got my S6 Active back, the device was overheating and dropping calls. I had to open another ticket and send it back in. This time around I felt the need to write a letter and get on the phone. BTW I went the Samsung Plus route as well where I was walked through a number of steps to resolve the issue. I appreciate the efforts towards greater customer service, but at this point I need a bit more attention.

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Samsung this afternoon to escalate the issue and get the response I was looking for. All repairs, chat transcripts, time without my device, and my experience with the device in general has been well documented and sent in for review.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and advice with customer support.
Samsung Plus can also escalate your issue and even keep up with it and make sure you are getting calls back. You can ask for a supervisor in Samsung Plus. They will have to call you back from their landline.

ric2001

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Just curious...for the people that have tested or are going to test, what test have you performed or are you going to perform? Are you testing to the limits of the actual IP68 rating? Are you doing a quick dunk in a bowl? Are people finding out that the latter is good enough to determine a faulty phone? Does that give you a false sense of security?

I haven't tested mine yet. I'm waiting to see if anything else comes out of this first.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I took mine to the pool and put it in about a foot of water and let it sit for 3-4 Min. No ill effects found, looking like I got a good one out of the early batch.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Just curious...for the people that have tested or are going to test, what test have you performed or are you going to perform? Are you testing to the limits of the actual IP68 rating? Are you doing a quick dunk in a bowl? Are people finding out that the latter is good enough to determine a faulty phone? Does that give you a false sense of security?

I haven't tested mine yet. I'm waiting to see if anything else comes out of this first.

First one failed in a cup of water for less than 3 minutes.

Second one failed in the pool 6 inches to 1 foot below the surface for less than 1 minute.

The 2nd one didnt fog up or even activate the LDI in the sim tray. It acted fine for a few then all of a sudden the home button wouldnt work but on the screen it was acting like I was pressing it non stop. The power button stopped working as well and it restarted every few minutes. Then after about 6 hours it started working as normal. I still returned it.

Latest one seems fine but I have only dunked it once in a bowl for 3 minutes. Im not really using the phone anymore so maybe Ill retest it again soon.

Failures seem to be random but it doesnt seem like you need to take the phone to its limits for it to fail.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I've gotten mine pretty sweaty from going on a ten mile run while wearing it in a running belt with no real protective case and I've had it out in the rain while at work. I may try further testing once I get confirmation from AT&T that they accepted my warranty exchange.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I plan on testing mine next week. Been real busy lately and just havent had time yet.
So I am getting ready to test the phone. I plan on taking out my sim & memory card for the test so that I dont lose anything.
If it does fail can you guys remind me again what the process is for getting it exchanged. Can I go to ATT store or do I need to do it over the phone? Phone was bought at local att store.
Also, this is my first android phone, is there a way I can back up everything, including settings, so that I dont have to take forever setting up my new phone?

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about the second part but I would do the warranty replacement over the phone. They seem to be more knowledgeable than the stores.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I never restore phones. I did once and it was a mess. We are seeing that same issue in the Note 7 forums.

I set up all devices, new or reset, as a new device.

Also if you have a warranty replacement store on your city, thru might exchange it with no problems, but of they do give you a problem then go with over the phone.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Oh and I 100% do not recommend using Smart Switch right now, I don't care what Samsung says. I've seen too many problems.

Hah! I was just about to say, Smart Switch worked like a charm for me. What was odd, though, was it gave me the impression everything was done. Yet none of my apps were in the right place and my settings weren't there. I proceeded to try to recreate all my screens and settings. Then, about 15-30 minutes later, it undid everything I'd done and 100% duplicated my old phone's setup.

Regardless, if his phone actually fails, he might not have the luxury of Smart Switch.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hah! I was just about to say, Smart Switch worked like a charm for me. What was odd, though, was it gave me the impression everything was done. Yet none of my apps were in the right place and my settings weren't there. I proceeded to try to recreate all my screens and settings. Then, about 15-30 minutes later, it undid everything I'd done and 100% duplicated my old phone's setup.

Regardless, if his phone actually fails, he might not have the luxury of Smart Switch.
The one time I used it.. I know have the media server bug on my Note 5 and my replacement is coming today.

Almost everyone that used it with their Note 7 is experiencing lag, they had to set up again.

Well technically he could copy to Smart Switch now and use it to set up a new phone. It is great in theory, I wish it worked well.. Pictures and text should be fine, I for sure wouldn't transfer settings or apps.

Computers love fresh installs more than restores, seems phones do also 😆

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok. Thats a bummer. I know windows phone had its faults, but I was able to switch between phone effortlessly and always restore everything fairly quickly.
So I will need to re download everything, set up passwords again, shut down various apps, reconfigure Nova launcher, etc etc...
ugh...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Thats a bummer. I know windows phone had its faults, but I was able to switch between phone effortlessly and always restore everything fairly quickly.
So I will need to re download everything, set up passwords again, shut down various apps, reconfigure Nova launcher, etc etc...
ugh...
I always save my Nova settings to Drive, that has never caused me a problem.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante