Smudge that wont go away

djarvik

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I got this weird smudge in the middle of the screen, 1.5 times bigger them mu thumb. It looks like a finger print and when I wipe it off it sorta goes away. Then after a few uses it comes back and takes same shape. It is visible with screen off mostly. I tied to thoroughly wipe it off with micro fiber, wich seems to do the trick until I start using the phone again - then the smudge is back, same shape. I tried to wash it with soap to no avail.

The surface over the smudge seems ever so slightly less smooth then the non-smudge areas.

Any ideas?

djarvik

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
The phone is 2 weeks old, is that possible? S6 Active till this day has no such smudges.
My wife's phone purchased at the same time seeing only slightly less use - has no such smudges.

Should I check with ATT for a replacement?

djarvik

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I did read the link, and besides the usual moisturizers, sunscreen or soap residue - nothing touched the phone. That is not in question. Same materials touched my wife's phone with no issues.

So that thumb size smudge grew rather fast and today I don't even see the smudge, meaning it covers the whole screen. Did the water test on my phone side by side with my wife's and it is clear that the Oleophobic layer is completely gone on mine. The water beads nicely on her phone and creates a big "lake" on mine.

Question remains what could have caused it from day to day use in less then 2 weeks of use? I work on computer all day long with rather steady routine that does not include putting my hands in any chemicals. Why is my 1 year old S6 Active still has the layer on with same exact use + diving in salt water and pool full of chemicals.

Should I be contacting ATT or Samsung for replacement?

charliethecat

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this same issue with an s7 Active that is 3 weeks old. I also have some major scratches after only 3 weeks.
The smudge on my screen is centralized about an inch above the home button.
I would have put a screen protector on it the day I got it if I would have known it had a plastic shatter proof coating that can be so easily scratched.
Total design fail.

I'm going to contact AT&T and see what happens, although I may have better luck at a local AT&T store.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this same issue with an s7 Active that is 3 weeks old. I also have some major scratches after only 3 weeks.
The smudge on my screen is centralized about an inch above the home button.
I would have put a screen protector on it the day I got it if I would have known it had a plastic shatter proof coating that can be so easily scratched.
Total design fail.

I'm going to contact AT&T and see what happens, although I may have better luck at a local AT&T store.
I would test your phone for water resistance and if your "lucky" you will get water damage. At that point just call At&t and have them swap the phone out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund