Average battery life for S7 Active?

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I was averaging 8 hours screen on time when I had mine. With really heavy usage I would get between 6 and 7 hours.

Thanks for the feedback Tyler. My dad is actually looking for a rugged phone and wanted my suggestions. But since i don't own one thought i would come here and see what everyone has to say. He is a relatively light user so he should be all good.

After owning it for 3 months, I still get really good battery life. Here's what I get:

Light Use, Power Saving Mode On = 8 hours screen on time, 10-11 hours battery life

Moderate - Heavy Use, Power Saving Mode Off = 5-6 hours screen on time or 8 hours battery life

Heavy Use, Power Saving Mode Off = 4-5 hours screen on time or 6-7 hours battery life

Thanks for the detailed break down jeffhuypham!

Gathering some nice intel here :)

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback Tyler. My dad is actually looking for a rugged phone and wanted my suggestions. But since i don't own one thought i would come here and see what everyone has to say. He is a relatively light user so he should be all good.

"Rugged" it is for sure - your Dad will love it for that, I have dropped mine a couple of times (in doors) and have had no issues at all. I'm running a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Hybrid case and a Zagg tempered glass screen protector over the factory one. Love the phone, love the performance and have no problem with battery life at all. I run "Mid" Power Saving Mode all the time and performance doesn't seem to suffer, to me anyway.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
"Rugged" it is for sure - your Dad will love it for that, I have dropped mine a couple of times (in doors) and have had no issues at all. I'm running a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Hybrid case and a Zagg tempered glass screen protector over the factory one. Love the phone, love the performance and have no problem with battery life at all. I run "Mid" Power Saving Mode all the time and performance doesn't seem to suffer, to me anyway.

That's great to hear. Thanks jimd1050.

He was initially looking at the "Cat S40" but i threw that off the table lol. Especially considering it's running Lollipop on 1GB RAM and has a Snapdragon 210 processor. He intends keeping it for 3 years. So i told him in 3 years time the phone will feel 20 years old haha :D

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I was excited for the S7 Active when I recently switched back to AT&T. I was VERY disappointed though, and I returned it within the 14-day remorse period. I thought that surely with a 4,000mAh battery and 5" screen this thing should get upwards of 8 hours of screen on time. Nope. I'm not a heavy user, I keep bluetooth off, I used power saving mode, all I did was basically using social media and e-mail most of the day, never got more than 6 hours of screen on time in a 24 hour day! Hell, my iPhone 7 Plus ran longer than this thing! I ended up dropping below 40% by the end of my work day at 5pm, and that's just not good enough for me, that's only half my day!

I just picked up the Moto Z Play (unlocked) and have been impressed with its 3500mAh battery life! It gets up to 8 hours of screen on time EASILY. With light use, I can easily go two full days. The only draw back, for me, is the ****ty camera. I *really* like the S7 camera, and the ruggedness was pretty appealing, but I just can't deal with poor battery life because I'm not going to be hugging the wall or carrying batteries everywhere. So I traded camera for battery.

I wonder if the Android 7.0 upgrade would help this device any? I'm starting to think Sammy just can't make battery-sipping phones!

8 hrs SOT for me over 2 days is the norm for me. Have gotten a little more than 4 days standby with light use.

BTW I'm currently at 14% battery on my iPhone 7+ with 5 hrs 11 minutes of usage and 9 hrs 56 minutes standby. It's barely 4:50 so I'm guessing it's not going to make it til bedtime. Today has been a busy day for me though because I'll usually make it to the end of the day. My S7 Active and my iPhone 7+ are pretty comparable when it comes to battery.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the Android 7.0 upgrade would help this device any? I'm starting to think Sammy just can't make battery-sipping phones!
Hi Matt - I am actually pretty happy with the battery life on my Active. I'm coming from Samsung Note 4, 5 and two Note 7s for background so you have something to compare with. The Note 7s were awesome and probably a bit better than the Active, but the Active blows the other two away! The reason I replied is, I am running an early release copy of Android 7.0 Nougat on my Active and battery performance is pretty much the same as Marshmallow was (to me). If there's any difference, it's very slightly better without any scientific testing on my part. Day to day and overnight standby percentages have improved by 1% or 2% and I am running "Mid" Level Power Saving Mode! Hope this answers your question...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Matt - I am actually pretty happy with the battery life on my Active. I'm coming from Samsung Note 4, 5 and two Note 7s for background so you have something to compare with. The Note 7s were awesome and probably a bit better than the Active, but the Active blows the other two away! The reason I replied is, I am running an early release copy of Android 7.0 Nougat on my Active and battery performance is pretty much the same as Marshmallow was (to me). If there's any difference, it's very slightly better without any scientific testing on my part. Day to day and overnight standby percentages have improved by 1% or 2% and I am running "Mid" Level Power Saving Mode! Hope this answers your question...

Wow, I hope the official Android Nougat update would improve the battery life. I have the V20 and it is on par with the S7 Active's battery life but has a smaller battery and same processor/RAM. Would expect more from such a huge battery.