02-16-2017 06:23 PM
26 12
tools
    Hey guys, is this normal for an S7 Active? Average 5-6 hours of screen on time? What have you guys been getting?
    09-23-2016 03:43 PM
    That is consistent with what I am getting on mine. 5 hours and 8 minutes average with 5 hours 46 being the max. According to the GSam app.
    09-24-2016 07:15 AM
    Would have thought it would have been more given some report the S7E/Note 7 do similar times with a somewhat smaller battery.
    09-25-2016 12:56 PM
    Mine doesn't get great battery life for this giant boat anchor battery. I'm not one that likes to turn off all the features because I use all of them. I do keep wifi off a lot since getting unlimited data. But I always have GPS and Bluetooth going. I took my phone off the charger at 4 am and right now it's telling me it should be dead by 8 pm. That's not in power saving mode and that's with 360 security running. If I'm specifically worried I'm going to be away from my charger for a while, I will put it in power saving mode. But if I want to use my Gear S2 for a running GPS watch, I don't turn on power saver because it won't allow the GPS on the watch to function for some reason. And if I need to use my Sirius XM app, power saver causes it to not function properly.

No one on here believes me but my iPhone 6 Plus had a lot better battery life with a similar lack of power saving features employed.
    09-26-2016 08:31 AM
    I was averaging 8 hours screen on time when I had mine. With really heavy usage I would get between 6 and 7 hours.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    09-26-2016 02:27 PM
    3-4 Max.

No idea how people get 5-6-7-8.
    09-26-2016 04:15 PM
    3-4 Max.

No idea how people get 5-6-7-8.
    Thats not normal at all. Unless you have your screen brightness on max and maybe playing videos non stop in a horrible cell area.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    09-28-2016 12:46 PM
    OK so HOW are you guys determining screen time? Is it in settings or do you need an app? I'm very curious now.
    09-28-2016 12:54 PM
    OK so HOW are you guys determining screen time? Is it in settings or do you need an app? I'm very curious now.
    I always viewed it in the battery settings area. Screen on time is what I went by.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    09-28-2016 12:57 PM
    Ah ok got it. Well, after watching 40 mins of video with my phone at 51%, I've got 2h 15m of screen on time.
    09-28-2016 01:14 PM
    I have the AT&T Protec support package w/ my phone. I ironically got a notification from them yesterday telling me to call if I was having battery issues. I did and he had me go through and delete my cache and confirm all my settings were ok. He's going to check w/ me tomorrow to see if it helped. If not, he said they'd do a factory reset and if that didn't help, send a new phone.
    09-28-2016 02:40 PM
    Oh, he also told me to turn off fast charging!
    09-28-2016 02:42 PM
    How would turning fast charge off help?
    09-28-2016 04:14 PM
    Fast charging over time may, may degrade the battery. I think I experienced that with an MXPE fwiw.
    09-28-2016 08:40 PM
    Made a post over at XDA about my own experience with the GS7A I just acquired a little over a week ago, can't say it's typical usage by any means but it's typical for me so, if you're interested you can catch the post here:

Battery life, simply amazing... | Samsung Galaxy S7 Active

As stated that's without using any battery saving apps of any kind, with the noted use, and no power saving modes at all. Drained it down to 1% and it actually shut off as I was saving the SOT screenshot, actually.
    09-28-2016 11:46 PM
    How would turning fast charge off help?
    Honestly, I think it was made up mumbo jumbo. His thought was fast charge mode may TELL you the battery is at 100% but you don't get the same quality of charge that you do if you charge it in regular charging mode. Again, I shrugged at it but said "OK." I will say this, turning off background data REALLY made an incredible difference. I've got the blanket restrict setting turned on now. But I'm going to go through and see if doing it selectively by app makes near as big of a difference.
    09-29-2016 09:24 AM
    Hey guys, is this normal for an S7 Active? Average 5-6 hours of screen on time? What have you guys been getting?
    After owning it for 3 months, I still get really good battery life. Here's what I get:

Light Use, Power Saving Mode On = 8 hours screen on time, 10-11 hours battery life

Moderate - Heavy Use, Power Saving Mode Off = 5-6 hours screen on time or 8 hours battery life

Heavy Use, Power Saving Mode Off = 4-5 hours screen on time or 6-7 hours battery life

My current apps and settings:

- No Facebook or Facebook Messenger installed (using web browser or Metal or Folio apps instead)
    - Force Doze app enabled, default settings
    - Greenify app enabled, default settings, auto hibernate off (only use manual hibernate)
    - Package Disabler Pro installed and default bloatware disabled plus KNOX disabled
    - Using "Material Black" Samsung Theme with all black wallpapers
    - Sync off
    - Brightness usually kept between zero to 25%

I lose 1% battery life with airplane mode on overnight (8 hours idle). I keep Always On Display off.
    Matty likes this.
    10-02-2016 06:30 PM
    Wow, that's about what I get without all that extra stuff and I've been complaining about it.
    10-04-2016 11:41 AM
    I was excited for the S7 Active when I recently switched back to AT&T. I was VERY disappointed though, and I returned it within the 14-day remorse period. I thought that surely with a 4,000mAh battery and 5" screen this thing should get upwards of 8 hours of screen on time. Nope. I'm not a heavy user, I keep bluetooth off, I used power saving mode, all I did was basically using social media and e-mail most of the day, never got more than 6 hours of screen on time in a 24 hour day! Hell, my iPhone 7 Plus ran longer than this thing! I ended up dropping below 40% by the end of my work day at 5pm, and that's just not good enough for me, that's only half my day!

I just picked up the Moto Z Play (unlocked) and have been impressed with its 3500mAh battery life! It gets up to 8 hours of screen on time EASILY. With light use, I can easily go two full days. The only draw back, for me, is the ****ty camera. I *really* like the S7 camera, and the ruggedness was pretty appealing, but I just can't deal with poor battery life because I'm not going to be hugging the wall or carrying batteries everywhere. So I traded camera for battery.

I wonder if the Android 7.0 upgrade would help this device any? I'm starting to think Sammy just can't make battery-sipping phones!
    02-10-2017 10:50 AM
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that isn't enchanted with the battery life vs. the iPhone. I still like the phone a lot but feel like it's an overweight brick for no reason.
    02-10-2017 11:09 AM
    I was averaging 8 hours screen on time when I had mine. With really heavy usage I would get between 6 and 7 hours.
    Thanks for the feedback Tyler. My dad is actually looking for a rugged phone and wanted my suggestions. But since i don't own one thought i would come here and see what everyone has to say. He is a relatively light user so he should be all good.

After owning it for 3 months, I still get really good battery life. Here's what I get:

Light Use, Power Saving Mode On = 8 hours screen on time, 10-11 hours battery life

Moderate - Heavy Use, Power Saving Mode Off = 5-6 hours screen on time or 8 hours battery life

Heavy Use, Power Saving Mode Off = 4-5 hours screen on time or 6-7 hours battery life
    Thanks for the detailed break down jeffhuypham!

Gathering some nice intel here
    02-11-2017 05:43 AM
    Thanks for the feedback Tyler. My dad is actually looking for a rugged phone and wanted my suggestions. But since i don't own one thought i would come here and see what everyone has to say. He is a relatively light user so he should be all good.
    "Rugged" it is for sure - your Dad will love it for that, I have dropped mine a couple of times (in doors) and have had no issues at all. I'm running a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Hybrid case and a Zagg tempered glass screen protector over the factory one. Love the phone, love the performance and have no problem with battery life at all. I run "Mid" Power Saving Mode all the time and performance doesn't seem to suffer, to me anyway.
    Matty likes this.
    02-11-2017 09:48 AM
    "Rugged" it is for sure - your Dad will love it for that, I have dropped mine a couple of times (in doors) and have had no issues at all. I'm running a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Hybrid case and a Zagg tempered glass screen protector over the factory one. Love the phone, love the performance and have no problem with battery life at all. I run "Mid" Power Saving Mode all the time and performance doesn't seem to suffer, to me anyway.
    That's great to hear. Thanks jimd1050.

He was initially looking at the "Cat S40" but i threw that off the table lol. Especially considering it's running Lollipop on 1GB RAM and has a Snapdragon 210 processor. He intends keeping it for 3 years. So i told him in 3 years time the phone will feel 20 years old haha
    jimd1050 likes this.
    02-11-2017 10:51 AM
    I was excited for the S7 Active when I recently switched back to AT&T. I was VERY disappointed though, and I returned it within the 14-day remorse period. I thought that surely with a 4,000mAh battery and 5" screen this thing should get upwards of 8 hours of screen on time. Nope. I'm not a heavy user, I keep bluetooth off, I used power saving mode, all I did was basically using social media and e-mail most of the day, never got more than 6 hours of screen on time in a 24 hour day! Hell, my iPhone 7 Plus ran longer than this thing! I ended up dropping below 40% by the end of my work day at 5pm, and that's just not good enough for me, that's only half my day!

I just picked up the Moto Z Play (unlocked) and have been impressed with its 3500mAh battery life! It gets up to 8 hours of screen on time EASILY. With light use, I can easily go two full days. The only draw back, for me, is the ****ty camera. I *really* like the S7 camera, and the ruggedness was pretty appealing, but I just can't deal with poor battery life because I'm not going to be hugging the wall or carrying batteries everywhere. So I traded camera for battery.

I wonder if the Android 7.0 upgrade would help this device any? I'm starting to think Sammy just can't make battery-sipping phones!
    8 hrs SOT for me over 2 days is the norm for me. Have gotten a little more than 4 days standby with light use.

BTW I'm currently at 14% battery on my iPhone 7+ with 5 hrs 11 minutes of usage and 9 hrs 56 minutes standby. It's barely 4:50 so I'm guessing it's not going to make it til bedtime. Today has been a busy day for me though because I'll usually make it to the end of the day. My S7 Active and my iPhone 7+ are pretty comparable when it comes to battery.
    02-15-2017 04:46 PM
    Hi Matt - I am actually pretty happy with the battery life on my Active. I'm coming from Samsung Note 4, 5 and two Note 7s for background so you have something to compare with. The Note 7s were awesome and probably a bit better than the Active, but the Active blows the other two away! The reason I replied is, I am running an early release copy of Android 7.0 Nougat on my Active and battery performance is pretty much the same as Marshmallow was (to me). If there's any difference, it's very slightly better without any scientific testing on my part. Day to day and overnight standby percentages have improved by 1% or 2% and I am running "Mid" Level Power Saving Mode! Hope this answers your question...
    02-16-2017 09:23 AM
26 12