Location Services turning on on it's own!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any "requests" to turn it on but the Icon does pop up "by itself" and then disappear "by itself" in the taskbar randomly, even though I also am running Power Saving Mode. It is rather strange - unfortunately, I don't know if it ever did that before the Nougat Upgrade or not so I can't say if that's the issue! I am still getting really great battery performance so it doesn't bother me but I can see where it is an underlying annoyance to others! I've just gotten too old and easy going these days to let these things bother me anymore! :cool:

May 30, 2017
Visit site
Google Play Service runs as a system service and will take location updates when any dependent apps (i.e. Chrome, Play Store) require location.

From the message above, it looks like it might be related to the Android Device Manager. Have you tried removing your Google account from the device?

This might reduce these popups or random GPS points that you are experiencing.

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
Google Play Services does not show that Location is an App Permission, but the "Google App" has an App Permission of Location and it's on. But it gives you a warning that things may stop working if you turn off Location for the App.
Screenshot_20170529-225707.jpg
Screenshot_20170530-065832.jpg

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
Here is a strange turn, I took an extended trip out of state, and the phone stopped doing the constant annoying activity (at least for now). Will keep my fingers crossed that it's over with, but can't explain why traveling a ways from my "home" area would stop the activity.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is a strange turn, I took an extended trip out of state, and the phone stopped doing the constant annoying activity (at least for now). Will keep my fingers crossed that it's over with, but can't explain why traveling a ways from my "home" area would stop the activity.

What's that old quote? "Our's is not to question why..." or something like that - weird! Hope it stays that way for you! Looking forward to seeing (just want to see it, honest) the new S8 Active... hope it's soon!

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
Well, I caught the Location Services back on again today, and the culprit seems to continue being Google Play Services. Thankfully none of the nagging messages are back, yet.

Malechei

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys. I found this thread while researching the same thing, and I may have found something that could help. As I was digging around in my location menu, under Improve Accuracy, I had Scan for Wifi and Scan for Bluetooth still checked, and it seemed like every time I was getting the icon, I was in a place where my phone was scanning for those things. I unchecked them both and then turned location back off, and two days later, I haven't experienced it again (so far). It might be worth a shot for you.

maxblockm

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I tried

Privacy and emergency>App permission>Location-->turn all off, also check under More in upper right hand corner

Hopefully that works...

Calum Watson

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
Well, that proves what I've experienced. Apple is looking better and better.

Same problem here on S8+. Creepy and inhumane that anyone wants my constant whereabouts.. I like my privacy and Samsung are constanly boasting about privacy with all these permissions updates yet my location spontaneously turns on and flashes off as I look, even when it has 'no permission' to be on. Lack of control of my own phone ffs.

Cool name Watson but absolutely **** iPhone.

Doke2

Apr 25, 2018
Visit site
I solved this issue on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Active upgraded to 7.0 Nougat by disabling WiFi Calling. It has been 4 days, and location services hasn't turned itself on once. My battery life has amost doubled. It used to turn on every hour or so.

I didn't discover this myself. I read it on another forum. The best explaination I've heard is there is a bug in Samsung's WiFi calling system app that turns on location all the time, instead of just when you call 911. I suspect it's happening every time my wifi connects to a different AP.

Pete Faas

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey, I have a Galaxy S6 that started doing the same thing yesterday. I got my phone when it first came out and it has never happened before(except when battery gets below 15%) I have location services, and WiFi calling, turned off. I tried cycling the location services and it still happens. I power cycled my phone and it turns off temporarily, but comes back on. I have had no recent app downloads nor was I asked for location permissions from any new apps. Any suggestions?

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
My S7 Active continues to turn Location Services on at random, somewhat more frequently these days. It appears to be Google and the Play App Store looking to see where you are so as to do what? Spy on you and suggest apps based on where you are?

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
Well, this damn phone has gotten much worse at this after the post Oreo Updates. IT seems to be semi related to location and wireless connections, but it's getting very very annoying! Wish there was a physical off switch for the GPS antenna!