Would you buy an S7 Active today?

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I can still get an S6 Active from AT&T. The S7 Active got better reviews, yet I see some of the recent commenters on this thread saying they preferred their S6. There is also the battery issue...

I am finally ready to move on from my HTC Inspire because it is getting forgetful and of course is obsolete. it has been absolutely physically reliable (I don't douse it in water) and I need a rugged phone. My friends who do as I do and get on a horse with a phone in their pocket reinforce my decision to not go with the pretty but non-substantial ones. The only two I am considering are the two above.

What do you recommend?

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I would most definitely get the S7 Active today. Especially over the S6 Active. The S7 Active has a real water damage replacement policy for one. For another, the S7 Active has an sd card slot which the S6A does not. Add to that the more recent software, bigger battery, better camera and I can't even fathom why I would pick the 6 over the 7.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I would most definitely get the S7 Active today. Especially over the S6 Active. The S7 Active has a real water damage replacement policy for one. For another, the S7 Active has an sd card slot which the S6A does not. Add to that the more recent software, bigger battery, better camera and I can't even fathom why I would pick the 6 over the 7.

Ditto! Love my S7 Active!

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be a better option to go with the S7 Active. Good luck! :)

I agree. I love my s7. Of course my build date is late September so I have none of the issues the early adopters had. Best phone I've ever owned. Fat battery. Very happy.
Just go get the thing. You'll be happy. Maybe add a screen protector to fight some scratches.. That's all... Good luck.

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to all of you. I am convinced. Will also follow the advice to get a Zagg screen protector, as I always do, and probably the Supcase with the belt clip.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I love my s7. Of course my build date is late September so I have none of the issues the early adopters had. Best phone I've ever owned. Fat battery. Very happy.
Just go get the thing. You'll be happy. Maybe add a screen protector to fight some scratches.. That's all... Good luck.

"Fat battery" - awesome! :)

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to all of you. I got the S7 Active yesterday and I am going to like it just fine. I put on a Zagg screen protector and a BodyGuardz back cover. I could have done a beter job shopping for a back cover, but wanted to start out with something. A web search immediately showed me how to remove the DirectTV ads and I will work on from there.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to all of you. I got the S7 Active yesterday and I am going to like it just fine. I put on a Zagg screen protector and a BodyGuardz back cover. I could have done a beter job shopping for a back cover, but wanted to start out with something. A web search immediately showed me how to remove the DirectTV ads and I will work on from there.

Congrats - enjoy it (I just loaded a pirate copy of the Nougat OS [Android 7.0] and am having fun with that already) - it's supposedly coming to us all in June or July!

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I just have a basic clear TPU case on the back and a screen protector on the front and don't look back. Nice rugged phone.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I can still get an S6 Active from AT&T. The S7 Active got better reviews, yet I see some of the recent commenters on this thread saying they preferred their S6. There is also the battery issue...

I am finally ready to move on from my HTC Inspire because it is getting forgetful and of course is obsolete. it has been absolutely physically reliable (I don't douse it in water) and I need a rugged phone. My friends who do as I do and get on a horse with a phone in their pocket reinforce my decision to not go with the pretty but non-substantial ones. The only two I am considering are the two above.

What do you recommend?

The S7 Active or even the S6 Active, are the type of devices which i would happily pick up 1 - 2 years after launch. The reason i say that is because of the specs inside. When they launch, it has the best available and that will keep anyone going for a while. Obviously the standout feature it how rugged they are but also that they have a really large battery. I mean 4,000 mAh is HUGE. :D

So yes, i would definitely recommend it if you are an outdoor type of person. You can always put a bulky case on your iPhone but its just not the same haha.

EDIT:

I got the S7 Active yesterday and I am going to like it just fine. I put on a Zagg screen protector and a BodyGuardz back cover.

I see you got the S7, Thats awesome!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What do you recommend?

Holy moley that is such an old phone. I used to have the HTC Inspire too back in the day, that phone was awesome (screen was considered HUGE). I'm a former owner of BOTH the S6 Active and S7 Active. I can tell you the pros and cons of both:

S6 Active:
+ Great 16MP Camera
+ Slimmer than the S7 Active
+ Still has the IR blaster
+ Good 3500mAh battery
+ Probably cheaper in price by 50% or more
+ Samsung Pay
- No microSD slot
- Plastic & rubberized plastic body (scuffs will be more visible)
- Design looks a little weird

S7 Active:
+ Fingerprint scanner
+ Better build quality (hybrid of metal and rubberized plastic)
+ Much bigger 4000mAh battery
+ microSD slot is back
+ Shatter-resistant screen (rated most rugged smartphone)
+ Samsung Pay
+ Dual Pixel camera for instant focusing and low light photos
- NO IR Blaster
- Screen has a layer of plastic on top making it easier to scratch
- Phone is a lot thicker than the S6 Active
- There was an issue with the first batch of S7 Actives that failed water tests (phones manufactured sometime in June-July)
- 12MP camera loses detail compared to the 16MP of the S6 Active
- Probably costs a lot more

I personally recommend the S7 Active due to the upgrades but it's up to you and if you're willing to spend a bit more.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just purchased an S7A last week (like it so far), (on the 24 month w/ upgrade option at 12 months), but have decided to return it to corporate AT&T store, (have 14 days or until Fri. the 23rd to do so). And hoping they don't hit me with their $45 restock fee. Reason: just ordered the same phone (unlocked/will own outright w/no pymt plan) last night thru Amazon, for $233 less, so even if they do, I figure I'll still save $188, have no monthly pymts, and not have to cringe quite as much --each month-- whilst seeing how much AT&T is over-charging, as they do for everything.

Didn't think of checking on availability of S6A, as the AT&T corp store didn't carry them. And sales rep didn't mention anything about upcoming or potential S8A release.