A year with my S7 Active and thoughts on my next phone

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I've had my ups and downs with this phone. But by and large, I've really enjoyed it. I even invested in 3 wireless fast chargers b/c I'm pretty sure my next phone will be a Samsung. My only problem is...which one. I'm worried that Samsung is de-activfying the next Active. I don't like the loss of physical buttons and the so-far lack of Active button-specific software features.

Finally, I'm starting to really have second thoughts about the concept of the "built-in" ruggedness of the phone. I'm normally desk-bound all day but had the need to spend the last three days outside in the summer heat, doing demanding work all day long. In that short time, my Active has had a few spots worn through the outer painted layer of the "case" and now has ugly, white-ish rubber/plastic exposed. If I had a regular galaxy in a regular case, the case would take the abuse and could be swapped out if I didn't like the look. But since the phone itself has absorbed the damage, I have no such option. Has anyone else been bothered by this? I'm thinking I'd rather get an S8+ or Note 8 and just slap a case on them.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had my ups and downs with this phone. But by and large, I've really enjoyed it. I even invested in 3 wireless fast chargers b/c I'm pretty sure my next phone will be a Samsung. My only problem is...which one. I'm worried that Samsung is de-activfying the next Active. I don't like the loss of physical buttons and the so-far lack of Active button-specific software features.

Finally, I'm starting to really have second thoughts about the concept of the "built-in" ruggedness of the phone. I'm normally desk-bound all day but had the need to spend the last three days outside in the summer heat, doing demanding work all day long. In that short time, my Active has had a few spots worn through the outer painted layer of the "case" and now has ugly, white-ish rubber/plastic exposed. If I had a regular galaxy in a regular case, the case would take the abuse and could be swapped out if I didn't like the look. But since the phone itself has absorbed the damage, I have no such option. Has anyone else been bothered by this? I'm thinking I'd rather get an S8+ or Note 8 and just slap a case on them.

Believe it or not, I have my S7 Active in a case - a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Series Premium Hybrid case. I like it, just enough to add a bit more protection but not much more bulk to the phone! It's translucent black so you can still see the black carbon fiber and the Samsung/AT&T Logos through the back. Just a tad more insurance...

...as for the S8 Active, I won't know until I can put one in my hands. If you remember, I was a Note 7 guy so I've been waiting on the Note 8. That said, show me the two side by side and I'll make a decision. I haven't been exactly thrilled with what I've been reading about the Note 8 either, so we'll see!

tjsmith51

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I have that case as well. Love it!

I feel, pending on when it releases, I might go for the Pixel 2 XL instead of the S8 Active.