How to get 'Usage Manager' app back in Galaxy S7 Active ?=(

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello to all hear !=) Well the dreaded has happened. I've been blissfully and merrily sashaying along with Android v.7 in my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active; it initially came w/ v.6 when purchased.
I preferred v.6 over v.7, but that's neither here nor there as I eventually got used to v.7, and most importantly to me, v.7 kept/retained/did not delete my most used app, the 'Usage Manager' app that came from the Widgets app storage area.
Since purchasing the Galaxy S& Active, I used it continually to enable/disable mobile data, as well as kill all running apps. In fact the 'Usage Manager' app was on e of the main reasons I bought the phone!

Alas, is there any way to get 'Usage Manager' app back in Galaxy S7 Active ?=(

Thanks much for any tips, ideas or advise.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much, Galactic Zoo, but do I need to be rooted to download that APK? Or how to download?
I'm not rooted, but think now that I'd finally like to do so.
But upon returned here to AC, I can't find the 'Rooting' sub-forum sections -- that used to be at the top of each phones sub-forum.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to get 'Usage Manager' widget back-- after AT&T forced v.8 Oreo software update?

Is there any way to get 'Usage Manager' widget—don't know if it was an AT&T widget, or Samsung widget?—back -- after the AT&T forced v.8 Oreo software update?

Thanks for any help or advise.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is there any way to get 'Usage Manager' widget back-- after AT&T forced v.8 Oreo software update

What sort of "usage manager?" Most phones show mobile data usage in the mobile data area of Settings.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is there any way to get 'Usage Manager' widget back-- after AT&T forced v.8 Oreo software update

Hello. Thanks so much for your reply.

There was a super handy & useful widget called 'Usage manager' ...that was in v.6 Marshmellow and v.7 Nougat. It was one of the main reasons I choose the S7 Active over the S8 back in 2016. :-\ I probably used more that any other app, to both enable/disable mobile data on the fly, and kill all/any running apps in background.

I'll try to attach an image from this AC thread : https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8/832202-usage-manager-app-gone.html . . (hope the poster doesn't mind me borrowing the image) . .

c8857f596f2aa2ab1e31c9ed59dd4ba8.jpg

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

. . . it sat on the Home Screen, and you could enable/disable mobile data with just two taps. Instead of the 1 swype plus 4 taps it takes to go into Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile Data > Mobile Data, before another tap to back out; so 6 touches total.

With the 'Usage Manager' widget, it was just 2 taps to toggle mobile data on/off.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

. . . it sat on the Home Screen, and you could enable/disable mobile data with just two taps. Instead of the 1 swype plus 4 taps it takes to go into Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile Data > Mobile Data, before another tap to back out; so 6 touches total.

With the 'Usage Manager' widget, it was just 2 taps to toggle mobile data on/off.
Can see if its in play store or GALAXY app store? If not try downloading the APK online

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Can see if its in play store or GALAXY app store? If not try downloading the APK online

Thanks. It's not in either the Play Store of GALAXY app store. And after reading several threads on xda-developers .com , I can't make heads nor tails on whether or not anyones' been able to get the 'Usage Manager' widget back—after losing v.7 Nougat—after the AT&T forced v.8 Oreo update.

Although I've never rooted, so I'm not sure about that, or even what an 'APK' is, or stands for (is it android package?), and I might as well be reading Chinese....when I'm reading and trying to understand the xda-developers .com Root & ROS & Kernels, etc, threads. ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Thanks. It's not in either the Play Store of GALAXY app store. And after reading several threads on xda-developers .com , I can't make heads nor tails on whether or not anyones' been able to get the 'Usage Manager' widget back—after losing v.7 Nougat—after the AT&T forced v.8 Oreo update.

Although I've never rooted, so I'm not sure about that, or even what an 'APK' is, or stands for (is it android package?), and I might as well be reading Chinese....when I'm reading and trying to understand the xda-developers .com Root & ROS & Kernels, etc, threads. ;)
I'll leave the link for you to try it see if it works?
APK is a package for download Apps if don't want to wait for their update , or other things . I've used APK mirror for lot of things so it's safe .
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu...ta-usage-manager-2-1-03-android-apk-download/

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I'll leave the link for you to try it see if it works?
APK is a package for download Apps if don't want to wait for their update , or other things . I've used APK mirror for lot of things so it's safe .
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsu...ta-usage-manager-2-1-03-android-apk-download/

Thank you. Do you need to be rooted to install it? And does it have a mobile data on/off toggle switch?
I can't really tell by viewing the link page. Really appreciate your help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Thank you. Do you need to be rooted to install it? And does it have a mobile data on/off toggle switch?
I can't really tell by viewing the link page. Really appreciate your help.
No don't need to be rooted, supposed to be the way you had it before, try it let me know, your welcome.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

No don't need to be rooted, supposed to be the way you had it before, try it let me know, your welcome.

Okay, will check it out. Thanks very much. ;)

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Oh wait, it doesn't work downloading it on my lenovo Yoga notebook does it! It won't even open! :D
So I should log-in from my phone...I'm realizing...and go to link and dwnld to phone. ;) Thanks again!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Lol no only for that phone because it has that package orginaly
Oh wait, it doesn't work downloading it on my lenovo Yoga notebook does it! It won't even open! :D

So I should log-in from my phone...I'm realizing...and go to link and dwnld to phone. ;)

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
No need to root. In security allow unknown sources, temporarily. To install you will need a file manager, Astro is ok. I'm not sure if My Files can do it so try that first. Here's a good guide https://www.androidpit.com/android-for-beginners-what-is-an-apk-file

Wow, thanks a ton, Galactic Zoo ! Looks interesting and informative. Got in too late to read & try it, so will it tomorrow. Looking forward to checking it out. And thanks to you I've just learned what an apk file is !=)) Really appreciate your help. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463