07-19-2019 11:57 PM
33 12
tools
    Hello to all hear !=) Well the dreaded has happened. I've been blissfully and merrily sashaying along with Android v.7 in my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active; it initially came w/ v.6 when purchased.
    I preferred v.6 over v.7, but that's neither here nor there as I eventually got used to v.7, and most importantly to me, v.7 kept/retained/did not delete my most used app, the 'Usage Manager' app that came from the Widgets app storage area.
    Since purchasing the Galaxy S& Active, I used it continually to enable/disable mobile data, as well as kill all running apps. In fact the 'Usage Manager' app was on e of the main reasons I bought the phone!

Alas, is there any way to get 'Usage Manager' app back in Galaxy S7 Active ?=(

Thanks much for any tips, ideas or advise.
    07-18-2019 11:32 AM
    For whatever reason, it was discontinued but check this out https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsun...-apk-download/
    I don't know if it will work on your current OS.
    07-18-2019 11:55 AM
    Thanks very much, Galactic Zoo, but do I need to be rooted to download that APK? Or how to download?
    I'm not rooted, but think now that I'd finally like to do so.
    But upon returned here to AC, I can't find the 'Rooting' sub-forum sections -- that used to be at the top of each phones sub-forum.
    07-18-2019 12:07 PM
    No need to root. In security allow unknown sources, temporarily. To install you will need a file manager, Astro is ok. I'm not sure if My Files can do it so try that first. Here's a good guide https://www.androidpit.com/android-f...is-an-apk-file
    07-18-2019 02:12 PM
    Is there any way to get 'Usage Manager' widget—don't know if it was an AT&T widget, or Samsung widget?—back -- after the AT&T forced v.8 Oreo software update?

Thanks for any help or advise.
    07-18-2019 02:58 PM
    What sort of "usage manager?" Most phones show mobile data usage in the mobile data area of Settings.
    07-18-2019 03:45 PM
    Hello. Thanks so much for your reply.

There was a super handy & useful widget called 'Usage manager' ...that was in v.6 Marshmellow and v.7 Nougat. It was one of the main reasons I choose the S7 Active over the S8 back in 2016. I probably used more that any other app, to both enable/disable mobile data on the fly, and kill all/any running apps in background.

I'll try to attach an image from this AC thread : https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-app-gone.html . . (hope the poster doesn't mind me borrowing the image) . .

How to get 'Usage Manager' app back in Galaxy S7 Active ?=(-c8857f596f2aa2ab1e31c9ed59dd4ba8.jpg
    07-18-2019 04:32 PM
    . . . it sat on the Home Screen, and you could enable/disable mobile data with just two taps. Instead of the 1 swype plus 4 taps it takes to go into Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile Data > Mobile Data, before another tap to back out; so 6 touches total.

With the 'Usage Manager' widget, it was just 2 taps to toggle mobile data on/off.
    07-18-2019 04:37 PM
    . . . it sat on the Home Screen, and you could enable/disable mobile data with just two taps. Instead of the 1 swype plus 4 taps it takes to go into Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Mobile Data > Mobile Data, before another tap to back out; so 6 touches total.

With the 'Usage Manager' widget, it was just 2 taps to toggle mobile data on/off.
    Can see if its in play store or GALAXY app store? If not try downloading the APK online
    07-18-2019 05:01 PM
    Can see if its in play store or GALAXY app store? If not try downloading the APK online
    Thanks. It's not in either the Play Store of GALAXY app store. And after reading several threads on xda-developers .com , I can't make heads nor tails on whether or not anyones' been able to get the 'Usage Manager' widget back—after losing v.7 Nougat—after the AT&T forced v.8 Oreo update.

Although I've never rooted, so I'm not sure about that, or even what an 'APK' is, or stands for (is it android package?), and I might as well be reading Chinese....when I'm reading and trying to understand the xda-developers .com Root & ROS & Kernels, etc, threads.
    07-18-2019 05:11 PM
    Thanks. It's not in either the Play Store of GALAXY app store. And after reading several threads on xda-developers .com , I can't make heads nor tails on whether or not anyones' been able to get the 'Usage Manager' widget back—after losing v.7 Nougat—after the AT&T forced v.8 Oreo update.

Although I've never rooted, so I'm not sure about that, or even what an 'APK' is, or stands for (is it android package?), and I might as well be reading Chinese....when I'm reading and trying to understand the xda-developers .com Root & ROS & Kernels, etc, threads.
    I'll leave the link for you to try it see if it works?
    APK is a package for download Apps if don't want to wait for their update , or other things . I've used APK mirror for lot of things so it's safe .
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsun...-apk-download/
    07-18-2019 05:18 PM
    I'll leave the link for you to try it see if it works?
    APK is a package for download Apps if don't want to wait for their update , or other things . I've used APK mirror for lot of things so it's safe .
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsun...-apk-download/
    Thank you. Do you need to be rooted to install it? And does it have a mobile data on/off toggle switch?
    I can't really tell by viewing the link page. Really appreciate your help.
    07-18-2019 05:24 PM
    Thank you. Do you need to be rooted to install it? And does it have a mobile data on/off toggle switch?
    I can't really tell by viewing the link page. Really appreciate your help.
    No don't need to be rooted, supposed to be the way you had it before, try it let me know, your welcome.
    winmod21 likes this.
    07-18-2019 05:27 PM
    No don't need to be rooted, supposed to be the way you had it before, try it let me know, your welcome.
    Okay, will check it out. Thanks very much.
    07-18-2019 05:53 PM
    Okay, will check it out. Thanks very much.
    Your welcome
    07-18-2019 05:55 PM
    Oh wait, it doesn't work downloading it on my lenovo Yoga notebook does it! It won't even open!
    So I should log-in from my phone...I'm realizing...and go to link and dwnld to phone. Thanks again!
    07-18-2019 05:58 PM
    Lol no only for that phone because it has that package orginaly
    Oh wait, it doesn't work downloading it on my lenovo Yoga notebook does it! It won't even open!

So I should log-in from my phone...I'm realizing...and go to link and dwnld to phone.
    07-18-2019 05:59 PM
    Lol no only for that phone because it has that package orginaly
    Gotta run to the store. Will try later tonite.
    07-18-2019 06:03 PM
    Ok
    Gotta run to the store. Will try later tonite.
    07-18-2019 06:52 PM
    I'm just here to see if works. Hence, now have this thread in my participated lost
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-18-2019 07:37 PM
    No need to root. In security allow unknown sources, temporarily. To install you will need a file manager, Astro is ok. I'm not sure if My Files can do it so try that first. Here's a good guide https://www.androidpit.com/android-f...is-an-apk-file
    Wow, thanks a ton, Galactic Zoo ! Looks interesting and informative. Got in too late to read & try it, so will it tomorrow. Looking forward to checking it out. And thanks to you I've just learned what an apk file is !=)) Really appreciate your help.
    07-18-2019 09:41 PM
    Wow, thanks a ton, Galactic Zoo ! Looks interesting and informative. Got in too late to read & try it, so will it tomorrow. Looking forward to checking it out. And thanks to you I've just learned what an apk file is !=)) Really appreciate your help.
    You have 2 threads open for this issue?
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=969087
    07-18-2019 09:49 PM
    You have 2 threads open for this issue?
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=969087
    Yes, thought it might be good to launch a few threads, so added the thread in the S7 Active sub-forum after originally posting here in the 'Ask a Question' thread, since an ambassador told me that threads get buried rather quickly here in the Ask a Question thread.
    Hope I wasn't violating any rules. If so . . . *embarrassed* . . . I haven't read the reg's since back in 2012.
    07-18-2019 09:56 PM
    Yes, thought it might be good to launch a few threads, so added the thread in the S7 Active sub-forum after originally posting here in the 'Ask a Question' thread, since an ambassador told me that threads get buried rather quickly here in the Ask a Question thread.
    Hope I wasn't violating any rules. If so . . . *embarrassed* . . . I haven't read the reg's since back in 2012.
    I've merged the 2 threads.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-18-2019 09:58 PM
    Yeah it's better to keep it in one place , but a Mod wil come take care and probably keep in s7 forums instead of ask help or merge them .
    Laura Knotek and winmod21 like this.
    07-18-2019 09:59 PM
33 12