I received a used Samsung Galaxy S7 Active yesterday. After fully charging it up and resetting it to factory I started testing everything out and that's when I noticed that the back is bulged out slightly. The bulge is nearly unnoticeable visually (see images bellow) but I can feel it with my fingers and the phone wobbles on the bulge when I lay it on a flat surface. So I'm wondering is this the normal shape of the phone or should I be concerned that the battery is failing and starting to swell. In addition to the bulge the phone also has a slight smell to it. It's not exactly like fingernail polish (which I would expect from a ruptured battery) but it's a sort of sweetish smell, so maybe it's a "new phone smell." New phone smell seems odd for a used phone but maybe it's more of a "barely used" and has been sitting on the shelf for a long time. I don't know seems suspicious to me.

Has anyone else noticed if it's normal to have a slight bulge in the back of the phone. Should I be concerned about a swelling battery?
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S7 Active, Small Bulge in the back-20200310_114635.jpg   Galaxy S7 Active, Small Bulge in the back-20200310_114645.jpg  
    03-10-2020 11:00 AM
    That's most likely due to a swollen battery, which can be associated with impending failure. I wouldn't use the phone, since a failing battery can be dangerous, with an increased risk of fire or explosion. If you bought this phone, I'd try to return it for a refund.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-10-2020 11:26 AM
    That's definitely a swollen battery, turn it off the phone and dont use and return it back .
    03-10-2020 11:35 AM
    If you return it, make sure the seller knows why. Shipping a damaged battery like this through the mail is exceedingly dangerous because it can be further damaged and catch fire. The seller may have special instructions you'll need to follow.

A good repair shop could possibly replace the battery, so that's another option to consider.
    03-10-2020 11:49 AM
    Thanks everyone. I took the phone out and set it on the middle the concrete patio to do a factory reset, ya know for in case of explosions. It's returned now. I appreciate the input.
    mustang7757 and B. Diddy like this.
    03-15-2020 01:17 PM
    Thanks everyone. I took the phone out and set it on the middle the concrete patio to do a factory reset, ya know for in case of explosions. It's returned now. I appreciate the input.
    Glad to hear everything went good
    03-15-2020 02:03 PM