Disappointed in the quality of Galaxy S7 tempered glass screen protectors

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I recently picked up the Galaxy S7 Edge and decided to return it for the standard S7. One of the reasons I returned the Edge was my inability to protect it with a tempered glass screen protector. After hours of research, I wasn't able to find anything that would suggest that people with the S6 Edge has good luck with screen protectors. The curved display is awesome, but not for someone who is deathly afraid of their phone's screen smashing into thousands of pieces.

A few returns later (moved from GS 7 Edge to T-Mobile GS to AT&T S7), I started shopping for a tempered glass protector for my GS 7. My first line of defense for new phones is to pick up the Supcase Beetle. These are awesome cases and they are cheap. Think of them as providing Otterbox like protection at a fraction of the price. My go-to method is to use a hair dryer to remove the built-in screen protector, which is crap and replace it with a tempered glass protector. I looked at countless tempered glass screen protectors for the S7 on Amazon. Reviews were negative across the board, so I opted for a well known brand. The results were shocking.

For one, it didn't adhere as nicely as other protectors I had purchased in the past. I've installed countless screen protectors, so I consider myself skilled in that area. There was zero chance of having any sort of good install with this product. There are noticeable gaps on either side of the screen with the protector installed. It looks awful, to the point where I almost want to go back to my S6.

IMG_5272.JPG

I'm hoping that the full frontal glass protectors will offer a viable solution. It pains me every time I look at my S7.

Anyone have better luck?

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up ordering this screen protector from eBay. Seller has great feedback and they have sold similar protectors. If this works, I'll be thrilled. I've got both a UAG case coming for heavy duty protection and I was happy to find the Bear Motion case for the S7. When I bought my S6 off Swappa, the guy had included it. It's ultra thin and has a good grip. I probably won't use it initially, because of that fear of dropping my new phone. Hoping the UAG is lighter than the Supcase. I like the protection of the Supcase, but it feels a bit like overkill. I want to enjoy the design of the S7.

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
That bear motion thin case looks good. Spigen makes the thin fit but this looks to be more grippy. Let's us know how it works out.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I recently picked up the Galaxy S7 Edge and decided to return it for the standard S7. One of the reasons I returned the Edge was my inability to protect it with a tempered glass screen protector. After hours of research, I wasn't able to find anything that would suggest that people with the S6 Edge has good luck with screen protectors. The curved display is awesome, but not for someone who is deathly afraid of their phone's screen smashing into thousands of pieces.

A few returns later (moved from GS 7 Edge to T-Mobile GS to AT&T S7), I started shopping for a tempered glass protector for my GS 7. My first line of defense for new phones is to pick up the Supcase Beetle. These are awesome cases and they are cheap. Think of them as providing Otterbox like protection at a fraction of the price. My go-to method is to use a hair dryer to remove the built-in screen protector, which is crap and replace it with a tempered glass protector. I looked at countless tempered glass screen protectors for the S7 on Amazon. Reviews were negative across the board, so I opted for a well known brand. The results were shocking.

For one, it didn't adhere as nicely as other protectors I had purchased in the past. I've installed countless screen protectors, so I consider myself skilled in that area. There was zero chance of having any sort of good install with this product. There are noticeable gaps on either side of the screen with the protector installed. It looks awful, to the point where I almost want to go back to my S6.

View attachment 221499

I'm hoping that the full frontal glass protectors will offer a viable solution. It pains me every time I look at my S7.

Anyone have better luck?

I had the supcase for the Note5 but didn't use it a lot. I liked the built in protector on it but the protection level didn't feel as thick as the Defender. Is the S7 one thicker than previous Supcases? The one in your pic looks like it. The S7 Defender I have is built out of tougher material this time and the built in protector fits a lot more snug than past Defenders that i will not rip it off this one.

Tempered glass I bought some from Amazon for my Note 5. Yes tempered glass sold on Amazon is a lot cheaper than ZAGG but the quality is nowhere near as good. Zag might cost a lot but the quality is a lot better. Get what you paid for. If I get the Supcase I plan on leaving it on. I might go with the Poetic Revolution when it comes out later in April. I had it for my note 5 and great case with great built in protector.

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I feel pretty confident that if it took a fall, the phone would be protected. That being said, I'm shifting to the UAG when it arrives today. The area around home button needs more room for my thumb. Still on the fence about pulling off this existing protector. My eBay order shipped, but it's not arriving until sometime in September.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The difference between a tempered glass protector and a Gorilla Glass 4 screen is that if you're VERY lucky, the protector will break and the screen won't. (They're both about the same hardness, so if the protector gets hit head-on, both will crack.) The screen will shatter, the protector will crumble. If they both go, you have a mix of shards and tiny pieces.

What we need is a scratch-proof, break-proof screen. Since the two are opposites (the harder the screen or protector is, the harder it is to scratch it, but the easier it is to break), we'll just have to wait for diamond-covered transparent aluminum.

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
So you're saying there is little value in using a tempered glass protector, outside of protecting from scratches, something which is accomplished with a less expensive screen protector. I've seen a number of stories where people claim their glass protector cracked, but the screen went unscathed.

I'm less concerned about scratches, than I am cracks. If you're moderately careful (not carrying knives, change and metal in your pocket), I think it would be hard to scratch Gorilla Glass 4.

Do you use any type of screen protector and/or case on your phones? What's been your experience?

Mbrigh3

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
stay away from Tech Armor it looks the same as what you have. Crap sounds like we need to find a good PET film that doesnt peal at the edge with a case on the phone. That will be the winner.

jkimrey

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Just an FYI - I've had two tempered glass protectors crack on my LG G4, but the screen is still flawless.

I'm sure it depends on each situation, but my experience with the G4 has me sold on tempered glass protectors.

Unfortunately it sounds like the fit may be more difficult on the S7 Edge due to the screen.

idamann

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm way careful with my phones and in fact have had every galaxy phone except the S3 and only dropped my S4 once and it was in a mophie case and fine. My main concern is scratches so I'm following this thread as I'm terrified of scratching this screen and screwing up my VR experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mr Rich

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I bought a Tech Guard screen protector when I purchased my S7 standard. It was a clear one and covered the whole screen and front side.

It honesly made the phone look crap as the samsung logo was blurred.

Touch response was good in the middle of the screen but at the edges and top very poor. I took it back to the shop the following day and the girl that served me tested it and suffered the same problems. I got my money back.

I have ordered one of these and will report back, not expecting much as its ebay.

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I bought a Tech Guard screen protector when I purchased my S7 standard. It was a clear one and covered the whole screen and front side.

It honesly made the phone look crap as the samsung logo was blurred.

Touch response was good in the middle of the screen but at the edges and top very poor. I took it back to the shop the following day and the girl that served me tested it and suffered the same problems. I got my money back.

I have ordered one of these and will report back, not expecting much as its ebay.

How did you make out with your purchase? Would love to hear your feedback?

Mr Rich

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
How did you make out with your purchase? Would love to hear your feedback?

Hi the fit is good and the screen reacts well, swiping from the top for notifications is a we bit unresponsive but you may be able to live with that.

Its well made and aligns up well, however I tried to re-allign it slightly and it cracked ;(

chennaite

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
If covering the whole screen is your problem I would suggest going in for wet install protectors. These are very thin and will be compatible with most cases. I got mine from Gadgetshieldz which would cover the S7 screen including the edges, entire back and even the side frames. I am even able to use my VR headset without any issues as its quite thin to add any bulk like the tempered glass do.
I bought one from here.
Samsung Galaxy S7 Screen Protectors, Cases, Covers, Skins | Full-Body Invisible Shields | Gadgetshieldz

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
For right now about all of the glass protectors are going to give the Halo. Zagg is working on making one without the Halo. I'm hoping the other makers jump on board.

Posted via the Android Central App

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
What we need is a scratch-proof, break-proof screen. Since the two are opposites (the harder the screen or protector is, the harder it is to scratch it, but the easier it is to break), we'll just have to wait for diamond-covered transparent aluminum.

For me it's the fear of micro scratches rather than shatter proofing. After my film protector wore out on my M8 I removed it only to find a couple small scratches a month later. I put on a tempered glass protecter immediately and it served me well up until I got my S7. I just don't trust that my screen will stay scratch free for 2 years which is why I and others want a proper fitting protector.

Also all of the film ones currently on the market are also garbage. I went through two brands and they both went into the trash.