Lifeproof for Galaxy S7 Issue

Speedermonkey

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has had this issue but just as a warning to anyone wanting to buy one. Both my girlfriend and I have one and the plastic that holds the charging port cover closed has broken off after only a couple months. There is some sort of plastics engineering design flaw oe weak plastic used. I'm going to try to get a replacement but will likely happen again with the next one.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has had this issue but just as a warning to anyone wanting to buy one. Both my girlfriend and I have one and the plastic that holds the charging port cover closed has broken off after only a couple months. There is some sort of plastics engineering design flaw oe weak plastic used. I'm going to try to get a replacement but will likely happen again with the next one.

That's not good. Hopefully it's not an issue with the replacement - let us know how it goes.

bobbyp5

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I had that happen on my iPhone 6 before they revised it. Was looking at my buddies and mine one day and noticed his battery flap was larger. Maybe got a lemon on the case. Hope all goes well because I have been thinking about grabbing one for my S7 also.

Chihuahuamomma2

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

c1971ace

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine about 2 months and don't even use it every day and just developed this issue as well. I'm going to give them a call and see what they will do.

tedbearclaw

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I am interested in purchasing the LifeProof case besides that piece breaking what's the feedback on this case. How is sound quality in call. Any problems with this case

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

I also have the LifeProof case so will be interested to hear how the company treats you and if the issue is fixed. I usually charge wirelessly, so don't often open the charging cover. But if I have to, sure don't want it to break off. BTW, grew up in GB so I'm with you ... Go Pack!

Greenbeest

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
Yep. Had same issue for the Lifeproof case for the S7.
Have had 2 replacements with no issues from the retailer I purchased from.
Ironically 3rd case broke again today in same place.
Complete fracture of the plastic lip for securing the charge port door with no detachment.
I decided to fix it myself this time.
I used a pin to apply Loctite 406 which is industrial strength super glue.
The retailer at the time of replacing the first 2 cases said they had not heard of this occurring.
This thread I just found now confirms it.

Last edited:

Cordy_1971

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
I bought one in June of 2016. The charging port plastic tab snapped off in December. I got a replacement case from my carrier. Same thing happened again, the carrier replaced it in February. It broke again this month, but because it's been over a year from initial purchase, they recommended I go through Lifeproof. A warranty case is on its way.

There is definitely a design flaw with the cases I've been receiving. I'm not a heavy phone user, and I'm in an office environment, so little to no abuse/drops. It seems that the act of snapping and unsnapping the charger cover to charge the phone is enough to snap it off. I'm hoping that they have figured it out and the newest case I'm going to receive is improved. Hard to maintain an IP rating if the charger port can't be sealed.

Cruiser4Life

Jun 23, 2018
Visit site
I have had 2 Lifeproof cases for the Samsung S7. Both broke in under a year with the same issue....charging port cover piece broke. I have had one on my S5 for about 4 years and not an issue. I guess it's time to go back to otterbox.