S7 Edge "Always on Display" with Clear View case problem

Rensu

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey,

Tried out my new Clear View case with S7 Edge and what can I see the "Always on Display" doesn't work anymore with it nor does it show anything at all (practically what it displays is the basic Time, Date and that's it (for several seconds) for example I had Calendar on but not working with new case). After some seconds it disappears and no longer "Always on Display" working but rather just old function which older versions used to have.

Is it some kind of error? Or is there any way around for this? Anyone else having this kind of problem?

Hopefully I explained the problem understandable enough,
Thanks!

Ponchon

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem but if i turn the phone around so the
photo lens are at the buttom of the cover, then alway on works fine !

GNawaz

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
yes always on display stop working on my phone today after a few hours and in my case without any case or cover. i had yet to buy the case for my phone.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Same here, assume that the magnet used to tell if the case has been opened or closed doesn't tell it that it is using a clear view case and the display needs to stay on. Bit of a ridiculous oversight for launch. Not one of the reviews or previews that I can find acknowledges it, they all say that you can use the always on display but there isn't a single picture of the case being used with it?!

Hopefully be a fix soon, but I'm only giving it until the weekend before the case goes back, that feature was the only justification for the price!

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
There is an accessories option in the settings that appears when it is in the case, but nothing to solve this

Posted via the Android Central App

Ashman1987

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Same issues for me with the clear view case.

Always on Display works 100% until I close the cover on the "smart case".

It over rides the AOD with its own display which turns off after 30 seconds or so.

Its also very loose and tends to spring itself open when I dont want it to.

Expected more for the money to be honest.

Im totally new to Amdroid / Samsung, will they fix this with an update? Are they usually responsive?

Or would I be better off returning it for a case which actually works as described?

Byron Hinson1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Same goes here. Just bought it for £40 which is bad enough but when it doesn't do the always on display it's pointless.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ashman1987

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
The sales guy in the O2 shop specifically mentioned it is clear to take full advantage of the always on display.
The packaging suggested similar but wasn't perfect English.

Not sure how the case enables you to take full advantage of the AOD, when it kills it as soon as you shut the cover.

I don't believe the AOD being disabled was intentional.
Why make a feature and generate hype around it, and then make an accessory to break said feature?

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to be careful with using this case is scratching the screen. Lots of reviews about the previous model scratching peoples screens, so beware if you don't have a screen protector. Think I may be returning this case as everyone mentions, defeats the purpose of Always On Display for some reason.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just realized that also about the AOD. I have the S-View Flip cover case and I don't see the AOD through my case neither. I open it and close it and I see the time date and 1 message or email and 1 missed call but than it goes away. But I like this case and am going to keep it. I also will be using my Symmetry which was supposed to of come today.

This is the S view case correct? Bought one today and noticed same issue with the S view case as well.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Presumably it should be a fairly simple software fix, but it's a really dumb oversight on their part. Having had it a few days though I will keep it anyway, it's a nice case even with that flaw and the fact that the "anti-fingerprint" coating does absolutely nothing!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The sales guy in the O2 shop specifically mentioned it is clear to take full advantage of the always on display.
The packaging suggested similar but wasn't perfect English.

Not sure how the case enables you to take full advantage of the AOD, when it kills it as soon as you shut the cover.
I'm reading the back of my box again and it says press the power key to check the time weather and other status items etc.. But I like my case and I
ve said this before would I have spent 60 bucks on it probably not but my co-worker is giving me $60 for the gear so I am good. My Symmetry case isn't here yet but expecting it and gear today.

I don't believe the AOD being disabled was intentional.
Why make a feature and generate hype around it, and then make an accessory to break said feature?

mmakoto

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Same issues for me with the clear view case.

Always on Display works 100% until I close the cover on the "smart case".

It over rides the AOD with its own display which turns off after 30 seconds or so.

Its also very loose and tends to spring itself open when I dont want it to.

Expected more for the money to be honest.

Im totally new to Amdroid / Samsung, will they fix this with an update? Are they usually responsive?

Or would I be better off returning it for a case which actually works as described?
I think your better off returning the case. Samsung is not known for fast software fixes, especially for something like this. Get the case again in the future once you know it's fixed, and it should be cheaper by then.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I like the case and don't really need the AOD to show through the case. I just like having a cover case while working. But my Symmetry came today too and I like it also.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Response from Samsung support:

Please be advised that the Galaxy S7 Edge Clear View case allows you to access all essential applications including incoming calls and music playback without lifting the lid however it is not designed to function with the 'Always On' display feature. For more information please follow the link below to our official support page. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Disappointing :mad:

TimoDo

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
For me the Clear View Cover with the not working AOD is not a alternative to other cases.

So I have a small Bug-Fix which worked for me :)

I removed the small magnet on the lower right of the lid (it is just glued), now the always On Screen is still showing up even when the Cover is closed.
What you lose, is the On / Off functionality when you open or close the lid. What is no problem for me, because I'm using the Fingerprint.

Small Restriction: The AOD is not showing up as bright as the Display would do with the normal Clear View Cover Screen so ist is not perfect to read. But better than an Off Screen :)

Timo