Okay so long story as short as I can make it, I just recently switched over to Android from iOS, moving from the 6+ to an S7 Edge. I never had any of my iPhones jailbroken, but I'm interested in trying to root my S7. I've done quite a bit of research on it, but still seeing a lot of conflicting answers and such. Here's my situation, I have an S7 Edge from Verizon, is it possible to root this? If so, my understanding is that I'll need to OEM unlock my phone, download Odin and Chainfire, and follow the normal steps from there. How does this effect Samsung Pay and any other part of the phone? I saw that rooting the S7 trips Knox, which I'm not entirely sure what that is but I understand it turns off Samsung Pay and possibly other features. And I guess lastly will this erase my already existing phone data and is it worth it?
    04-19-2016 09:45 AM
    Okay so long story as short as I can make it, I just recently switched over to Android from iOS, moving from the 6+ to an S7 Edge. I never had any of my iPhones jailbroken, but I'm interested in trying to root my S7. I've done quite a bit of research on it, but still seeing a lot of conflicting answers and such. Here's my situation, I have an S7 Edge from Verizon, is it possible to root this? If so, my understanding is that I'll need to OEM unlock my phone, download Odin and Chainfire, and follow the normal steps from there. How does this effect Samsung Pay and any other part of the phone? I saw that rooting the S7 trips Knox, which I'm not entirely sure what that is but I understand it turns off Samsung Pay and possibly other features. And I guess lastly will this erase my already existing phone data and is it worth it?
    Hello and welcome to Android Central senki614

I am afraid that out of all the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge phones worldwide, all the U.S. carrier minority variants are the only ones that cannot be rooted. See, U.S. carrier S7 models have locked bootloaders and no rooting
    imex99 likes this.
    04-19-2016 01:45 PM
    Any hope for us stuck with the US variant?
    05-06-2016 05:53 AM
    Any hope for us stuck with the US variant?
    Two possibilities...

1. You lobby your particular carrier and demand that they change to a rootable bootloader, similar to the Chinese Snapdragon 820 model. There was a rumour that T-Mobile (USA) might break ranks in a new firmware update but they have had 4 releases so far and nothing has changed.

2. A rooting exploit is eventually found. I wouldn't hold my breath on this as they are still trying for a root exploit on the AT&T Galaxy S5 for nearly a year now without success and the U.S. models of the S7 are even more heavily locked down by their carriers.
    imex99 likes this.
    05-06-2016 06:37 AM
    yes, this
    no root yet possible for us variant
    09-01-2016 07:19 PM
    ----
    09-10-2016 03:54 PM