Custom binary blocked by FRP lock - no flashing to phone?

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

My partners Samsung S7 Edge suddenly switched off and now she has the message 'Custom binary blocked by FRP lock' in red when she tries to switch it on.

I've been searching for answers, but they all seem to point out it's an issue if you've flashed a file to the phone. She has never tried anything like that. It's stock issue. She's the only owner and nothing as been done, other than normal updates (not sure when the last one was, or which Android version it is tbh). This has suddenly happened out of the blue.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Many thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Did she buy the phone new from an authorized retailer? The only time I've seen this problem is as you said, after rooting or flashing a custom ROM. She may not have done that, but some unscrupulous resellers will do so before they sell it.

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply!

I bought it from Samsung direct, way back in November 2017.

It's confused me. We've just been to her service provider who just tried to sell her a new phone!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
We've just been to her service provider who just tried to sell her a new phone!

That doesn't surprise me. Then again, given the age of the phone, I wouldn't rule that out as an option at this point. The phone was originally released March of 2016, so I'm still curious if this was a refurbished phone. The S8 was already out for a while when she bought the S7 Edge, and manufacturers don't really like to sell multiple generations at once.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with dealing with the problem myself, only what I've seen from others. Hopefully someone else will see this that has more info.

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks.

I've tried that and nothing happened. So, I tried the power, volume down and button on the front screen until I got the blue warning screen.
Volume down to cancel and restart doesn't do anything. Volume up button then shows 'Downloading... do not turn off target' on the screen but nothing happens.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks.

I've tried that and nothing happened. So, I tried the power, volume down and button on the front screen until I got the blue warning screen.
Volume down to cancel and restart doesn't do anything. Volume up button then shows 'Downloading... do not turn off target' on the screen but nothing happens.
Hi,
That's download mode, this is where you have to flash the stock firmware again through Odin.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Another thing u can try, is in that mode power of the device if it can by holding the power button until it turns off, if it does power off power on and hold power and volume up same time, if it takes you to recovery mode with andriod bot use power and volume ip once more and factory reset

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks again. The volume up and power just displays the 'custom binary blocked' message.

So, I'm trying to find the correct firmware to try and flash that. Not sure which it is tbg as I'm a total newbie with this.

I have found this : https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/g...e/SM-G935F/BTU/download/G935FXXS8ETC1/328046/

I bought the phone direct from Samsung's website and from what I can gather BTU is firmware for phones direct from Samsung.

I'm still at a loss why this has happened in the 1st place. Even if there's a possibility it may be a reconditioned phone from Samsung (I bought a brand new phone as far as I'm aware), I'm not sure why it would just display that error message from nowhere...

But I have Odin on my laptop and from what I gather, I need to add the AP, BL, CP and HOM_CSC_ files (HOM_CSC to keep apps and data)...

All a little confusing tbh. But I appreciate the advice I'm getting here!

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks again. The volume up and power just displays the 'custom binary blocked' message.

So, I'm trying to find the correct firmware to try and flash that. Not sure which it is tbg as I'm a total newbie with this.

I have found a firmware link on the sam mobile site.

I bought the phone direct from Samsung's website and from what I can gather BTU is firmware for phones direct from Samsung.

I'm still at a loss why this has happened in the 1st place. Even if there's a possibility it may be a reconditioned phone from Samsung (I bought a brand new phone as far as I'm aware), I'm not sure why it would just display that error message from nowhere...

But I have Odin on my laptop and from what I gather, I need to add the AP, BL, CP and HOM_CSC_ files (HOM_CSC to keep apps and data)...

All a little confusing tbh. But I appreciate the advice I'm getting here!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is the steps :

Windows computer needed

Latest Odin can Google it and download should be 3.13.1 or 3.14.1 / or Frija tool

Download samfirm v0.4.1 tool , extract it with 7zip.

You will extract files for Odin once download with 7zip and will do same for firmware with 7zip .

There will be 4 files after you extract the firmware

BL

AP

CP

CSC

Each of those files will go in Odin when you open to the corresponding slots

BL

AP

CP

CSC USE HOME CSC FIILE TO SAVE DATA

Home data slot dont put nothing

connect your phone with cable to computer , once the files are in its slots hit start, once done you'll see pass in Odin and it will reboot

Put your model number,region select check for updates , then download the Rom , extract the Rom with 7zip.

*Make sure you put phone in download mode
*If dont see your phone connected in Odin change cables or ports in computer .

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Well, Mustang - I cannot thank you enough. That has worked!

My partner's phone is back up and running with all files intact. She is over the moon and said to say a huge thank you.

Thanks for taking the time to help. It's very much appreciated!

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Dammit. It would appear that I spoke too soon. It has just suddenly. I've tried all button combinations but I'm not getting anything on screen. Tried to connect to charger too, in case it's the battery, but no joy. It appears to have just totally died.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Dammit. It would appear that I spoke too soon. It has just suddenly. I've tried all button combinations but I'm not getting anything on screen. Tried to connect to charger too, in case it's the battery, but no joy. It appears to have just totally died.
Oh wow , was it low on battery when you did the flash ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs