S7 Edge - I can't find anything wrong

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
So by the look of things we have till now

1. No front facing speakers
2. 32GB only option (in some parts of the world though)
3. No LED notification light
4. No IR blaster
5. No 32 bit sound?
6. Nobody has said this but TOUCHWIZ is still a problem for me.

Front facing speakers are not necessary to me considering the screen to size ratio Samsung has managed to maintain with the buttons layout. But of course it would've been nice if they included them.

Yes they should've given an option for 64GB and above. Having said that, with Marshmallows storage features and cheap SD cards it shouldn't be a problem.

Notification light is important but I think we'll have to forgive them because of the introduction of an always on display. But I still prefer the LED light.

IR blaster, such a small feature but since people use it they shouldn't have ignored.

And 32 bit sound? I guess that's important? I don't even know how that works.

To me, none of these points are a deal breaker. Not even a little bit. But that's just me. However, it shows that NO! The S7 and the S7 edge aren't perfect phones at all!

Posted via the Android Central App

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: I can't find anything wrong

How safe if dropped, will the edge be?

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Oh, I realize that.
But just meant with the edge, the screen might be more apt to break. A case wouldn't give it protection.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

So by the look of things we have till now

1. No front facing speakers
2. 32GB only option (in some parts of the world though)
3. No LED notification light
4. No IR blaster
5. No 32 bit sound?
6. Nobody has said this but TOUCHWIZ is still a problem for me.

Notification light is important but I think we'll have to forgive them because of the introduction of an always on display. But I still prefer the LED light.

It has an LED notification light:

User Manual

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I know the s7 has wireless charging capabilities, does it come with charging pad or does it come with regular plugin charger?
If pre order, from att, how much sooner do you get it, then waiting for stores to stock it?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I know the s7 has wireless charging capabilities, does it come with charging pad or does it come with regular plugin charger?
If pre order, from att, how much sooner do you get it, then waiting for stores to stock it?

Comes with regular plug in charger. No clue on your 2nd question. Probably receive it on launch day.

shockreaction

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Hardware home button on the front? I have not got over that since the first Galaxy phone which is why I'll probably never get one for myself.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Hardware home button on the front? I have not got over that since the first Galaxy phone which is why I'll probably never get one for myself.

Think of it as a power button with fingerprint scanner, that every phone has, that doubles as a home button.

Posted via the Android Central App from my LG G4

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm the same way. I don't like physical home buttons. Heck, I never even use the side power button on my Nexus 6. I have double tap to wake and an on-screen power button next to the other on-screen navigation buttons to turn it off. Nexus phones and custom roms have spoiled me.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

The only thing that I see wrong with it is that it doesn't have a 64GB option in the States (probably for now) and that it doesn't yet support Adoptable Storage, though it's probably for a good reason since SD cards are still pretty slow compared to the UFS storage it uses and SanDisk's latest SD cards with a ludicrous 275MB/s transfer speeds are still really pricey. Yeah, there's no IR blaster too, and aside from pretty slow updates, that's about it.

Other than those (and the slippery design), it's a big winner in my books. They took the S6 Edge and shot its weaknesses to oblivion. They improved the heck out of its weaknesses and also improved many of its strengths.

I'm very impressed and if my LG G4 does get the shaft, I'm ordering a Black Onyx S7 Edge. I might go with the flat one if issues with money or ergonomics come but my mind is set on the Edge right now mainly due to the bigger battery.

Here's some fun facts.
  • The S7 uses a Sony Exmor RS IMX260 as its image sensor, along with a hybrid OIS+DIS stabilization tech called "Smart OIS".
  • The sound chip in the S7 is a “Lucky CS47L91 Sound”, which is apparently a custom-made chip for the S7, as its codename was "Project Lucky".

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

We have another one.

7. In 'Erica Griffin the technology nerds' video she tests the RAM management issue in the S7 edge and it's still there -.-

WHY samsung why?

It was really bad on the S6 and I was hoping they would fix it but they didn't.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

We have another one.

7. In 'Erica Griffin the technology nerds' video she tests the RAM management issue in the S7 edge and it's still there -.-

WHY samsung why?

It was really bad on the S6 and I was hoping they would fix it but they didn't.

Well, apparently, that's how Samsung actually wants RAM to be managed.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's just how it is.

Also, that's pre-release software, so it might be better when the phone is released. Fingers crossed.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Part of the ram problem is the resource allocation for Gear VR. I find not issues though, but do value Gear VR. It rocks IMO, but wish they add more audio codecs. All video codecs play, but not all audio. If ripping video content from disk or other sources, need to make sure Gear VR compliant for audio.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

The only thing that I see wrong with it is that it doesn't have a 64GB option in the States (probably for now) and that it doesn't yet support Adoptable Storage, though it's probably for a good reason since SD cards are still pretty slow compared to the UFS storage it uses and SanDisk's latest SD cards with a ludicrous 275MB/s transfer speeds are still really pricey. Yeah, there's no IR blaster too, and aside from pretty slow updates, that's about it.

Other than those (and the slippery design), it's a big winner in my books. They took the S6 Edge and shot its weaknesses to oblivion. They improved the heck out of its weaknesses and also improved many of its strengths.

I'm very impressed and if my LG G4 does get the shaft, I'm ordering a Black Onyx S7 Edge. I might go with the flat one if issues with money or ergonomics come but my mind is set on the Edge right now mainly due to the bigger battery.

Here's some fun facts.
  • The S7 uses a Sony Exmor RS IMX260 as its image sensor, along with a hybrid OIS+DIS stabilization tech called "Smart OIS".
  • The sound chip in the S7 is a “Lucky CS47L91 Sound”, which is apparently a custom-made chip for the S7, as its codename was "Project Lucky".
The internal codename for the S7 is actually 'Hero'.

Edit: oh I see you meant for the audio chip itself, my mistake.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

If you havent experienced 32bit audio(I have it on my V10) with a good pair of headphones you aren't in a position to comment. Once you have it, you can't go back. The good news is that other sites are reporting that Samsung is using a home brew DAC chip so we should be good.
[edited by Moderator]

32 bit audio is snake oil people. Don't buy hype you can't physically hear.

/end rant.

Sorry, had to say that. Otherwise, I agree with the OP - outside of TouchWiz for me, this is really the phone I've been wanting for quite some time!

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mod Note, please take it down a notch. We love to encourage discussion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please be polite to your fellow members.

bstryd

May 9, 2012
Visit site

The audio is a big issue for both this phone and the new LG. I would love the hear Jerry Hildenbrand's take on this or any other audiophile geek.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

The audio is a big issue for both this phone and the new LG. I would love the hear Jerry Hildenbrand's take on this or any other audiophile geek.

Are all previous phones 32 bit and these are a step back or something? I'm trying to understand this issue.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
No iR blaster

This. I almost preordered today but as I was clicking to completion my tv played an extra loud video and I verbally told it to turn it down through tasker without even looking up. I use the ir blaster a few times a day and while MST might be worth the swap I also hear MST might not work with chipped cards. Note 4 users are still wondering why we need to lose features just to get the latest hardware ;)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar