S7 Edge - I can't find anything wrong

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I remember seeing a USB adapter in the box of the S7.

Looks like a USB-C to microUSB adapter.

A small loan of a broken G4

Attachments

• 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 57

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: I can't find anything wrong

The audio is a big issue for both this phone and the new LG. I would love the hear Jerry Hildenbrand's take on this or any other audiophile geek.

People who say you can't hear a difference between a HQ MP3 and a hit-bitrate lossless file really mean *THEY* can't hear a difference and they know everything.

The difference between 32 and 24 bit audio is probably something you won't hear until the tech behind how we listen gets better. I'm itching to find out just how well it sounds, and will talk about it once I've had a chance.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I just found another one

Actually it's a extension of the previous one. I said it shouldn't be a problem since the Marshmallow had the adoptable storage option. Well, the G5 and the S7 both don't have that feature. Just read it in an article on Facebook. So that's a big big problem for people who don't have the option for opting 64GB.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
1) Can't buy unlocked straight from Samsung.

2) Samsung/carrier bloat. Disabling/removing isn't the same since I can't get that memory back to use.

3) Front Samsung branding (would've been gorgeous without it).

4) I hate glass backs ever since the Nexus 4.

5) I prefer larger displays, but the Edge bothers my eyes. This is why I'd wait for the Note.

6) RAM management still yet to be determined. Based on Samsung's history I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

7) No removable battery ... I included this only cause they had it for so long, and you're asking for things that would pretty much make it perfect, so I'm being picky, lol.

8) Front facing speakers

9) battery ... 3000 mAh is about average these days. The display is smaller so it's certainly acceptable, but this should be the minimum size going forward IMO.

And I'm sure there will be more when people have some time with it. Personally I'm more interested in the Note 6, and hope to see at least a 3600 mAh battery.

The S7 looks like a great phone, and this list is just things that could've literally made it perfect. The only thing that would prevent me from actually considering it is display size ... We'll see about RAM management and that glass back really annoys me.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
1) Can't buy unlocked straight from Samsung.

2) Samsung/carrier bloat. Disabling/removing isn't the same since I can't get that memory back to use.

3) Front Samsung branding (would've been gorgeous without it).

4) I hate glass backs ever since the Nexus 4.

5) I prefer larger displays, but the Edge bothers my eyes. This is why I'd wait for the Note.

6) RAM management still yet to be determined. Based on Samsung's history I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

7) No removable battery ... I included this only cause they had it for so long, and you're asking for things that would pretty much make it perfect, so I'm being picky, lol.

8) Front facing speakers

9) battery ... 3000 mAh is about average these days. The display is smaller so it's certainly acceptable, but this should be the minimum size going forward IMO.

And I'm sure there will be more when people have some time with it. Personally I'm more interested in the Note 6, and hope to see at least a 3600 mAh battery.

The S7 looks like a great phone, and this list is just things that could've literally made it perfect. The only thing that would prevent me from actually considering it is display size ... We'll see about RAM management and that glass back really annoys me.

1 and 6 are considerable and have already been considered. The rest are too subjective.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: I can't find anything wrong

People who say you can't hear a difference between a HQ MP3 and a hit-bitrate lossless file really mean *THEY* can't hear a difference and they know everything.

The difference between 32 and 24 bit audio is probably something you won't hear until the tech behind how we listen gets better. I'm itching to find out just how well it sounds, and will talk about it once I've had a chance.

I'd love to hear your comparison to the V10 which musically your rate highly and I agree owning one currently.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
But you can buy unlocked directly from Samsung website? Or a whole range of 3rd party retailers?

At least in the UK, the unlocked versions are extremely easy to come by.

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I am considering replacing my Note Edge with an S7 Edge. The main reason I want to upgrade is the camera. My Note Edge has some weird issue where the camera app will periodically crash and I have to restart the phone, which is extremely frustrating. I was initially interested in the Note 5 but I use Edge panels more than the pen on my Note Edge. The S7 Edge camera sounds superior to the Note 5 and I like that the S7 Edge is water resistant. I wish the S7 Edge screen was a little larger. I also am not a fan of the glass back, which is too slippery and shows fingerprints. I tend not to use a case so I would get a textured skin for the back ASAP.

My other dilemma is where to buy the phone. Best Buy and Sam's Club are both offering preorder deals. I'm with AT&T and Verizon is offering a S7 Edge deal if I switch.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It's too early to make any definitive claims about the S7 Edge, but what it brings on paper is a phone that could easily be Phone of the Year in 2016. The battery is one of the largest in any flagship in recent memory. The display, according to DisplayMate, is the best on any smartphone. The camera appears to be lightning fast and every change they've made seems to be geared towards speed/low light quality. I would be shocked if it wasn't superior to the S6/Note5/iPhone 6S+ lineup. The design is not only gorgeous, but functional with GG4 and an IP68 water/dust rating.

USB Type C was an omission I don't mind. The adoption rate isn't nearly where it needs to be at this point, nor would it work with the free Gear VR we're all getting for preordering. Adding front facing speakers changes the design of the entire phone so I wouldn't have wanted that, either. 64GB variants not being in the US seems to be a SKU thing right now, but hopefully that changes in the future. Adoptable storage, while great for people who are tech savvy, would be a nightmare for Samsung as I'm sure so many people would still remove the card and mess up their data. My biggest gripe about this phone is the updates and how the carriers impede their progress. My guess is that will be the biggest complaint going forward on this phone, but if Samsung manages to surprise everyone and starts a good update process that the carriers follow, this will be a great year for all of us.

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
For some reason Samsung will sell their phones unlocked direct through them or through 3rd parties like Amazon just fine for us in the UK (probably all of Europe), but for some reason won't in the USA.

Also (on ee at least) you get no to very little bloat on their branded phones (at least on my LG G2 this was true, no ee apps pre installed and no ee screen when switching the phone on) I think it is much more of an issue in the US.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I am considering replacing my Note Edge with an S7 Edge. The main reason I want to upgrade is the camera. My Note Edge has some weird issue where the camera app will periodically crash and I have to restart the phone, which is extremely frustrating. I was initially interested in the Note 5 but I use Edge panels more than the pen on my Note Edge. The S7 Edge camera sounds superior to the Note 5 and I like that the S7 Edge is water resistant. I wish the S7 Edge screen was a little larger. I also am not a fan of the glass back, which is too slippery and shows fingerprints. I tend not to use a case so I would get a textured skin for the back ASAP.

My other dilemma is where to buy the phone. Best Buy and Sam's Club are both offering preorder deals. I'm with AT&T and Verizon is offering a S7 Edge deal if I switch.

I have had my S6 since may of last year and it has zero fingerprint marks on it

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

So my post about double blind testing gets modded out, but you can make a backhanded comment like that? Seems fair. My commentary about 32 bit audio was to I from people who are clueless about it that it should not be a make or break item for a new phone... There is no definitive testing or anything that shows 32 bit audio is superior to 16 bit lossless audio. Hell, studio mastering is done in 24 bit, and that's simply for overhead when audio engineers work with the source material.

Our ears can only hear a certain threshold of range, nothing can change that. Maybe there is a 'golden ears' human out there that can hear a difference, but the honest truth is that as long as the phone is capable of playing a good quality lossless file, thats more than enough for people.

I'm not picking a fight... I'm just giving the other side of an issue. It's only fair that someone try the same song in a lossless format against a lossy format, or even in this case do a 24 bit Vs 16 bit version.

My entire music library is in 16 bit FLAC. I cannot double blind a 16 bit FLAC against a 24 bit version of the same song, but I can against a V0 mp3 with decent consistency. I encourage you to try the same and see what happens.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not surprised. Since the S5, they've been making some seriously awesome displays.

My guess is that it's slightly brighter and more color-accurate this time around?

It improved in almost every metric except power efficiency. I think the max brightness is what will stand out most for this device.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It improved in almost every metric except power efficiency. I think the max brightness is what will stand out most for this device.

I wish others did the same. Improve on other aspects of the display. Don't just increase the resolution to absurd levels.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I wish others did the same. Improve on other aspects of the display. Don't just increase the resolution to absurd levels.

Huawei used a good AMOLED panel for the 6P, but it couldn't compete with the Note 5. They're just that far ahead of the game right now.