S7 Edge - I can't find anything wrong

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It is. Calibration and testing makes a huge difference, though. Same with camera software. Luckily, Samsung is extremely adept at both. I think those of us getting the Edge are going to be very, very satisfied overall.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It is. Calibration and testing makes a huge difference, though. Same with camera software. Luckily, Samsung is extremely adept at both. I think those of us getting the Edge are going to be very, very satisfied overall.

Posted via the Android Central App

The Edge is the one I'm going for if I'm going to buy one of those, which I actually might.

Mainly due to that oh-so-large battery.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The Edge is the one I'm going for if I'm going to buy one of those, which I actually might.

Mainly due to that oh-so-large battery.

It's not as large as the Note, is apparently extremely comfortable to hold, feels smaller than it actually is in the hand, and has a 600 mah larger battery. Unless you can't stand the curved screen or need the S Pen, this phone is going to be the sweet spot for a lot of people.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not as large as the Note, is apparently extremely comfortable to hold, feels smaller than it actually is in the hand, and has a 600 mah larger battery. Unless you can't stand the curved screen or need the S Pen, this phone is going to be the sweet spot for a lot of people.

Assuming my G4 still works by then, might hold out for the Note 6 if I can. Something tells me it's going to be heck a lot better than the 5.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Since no 64GB Edge :( , hoping for a Note 6 with 64GB, mSD slot and front facing stereo speakers :) Yeah, like that will happen...

Frankly a 64GB Edge would be my preference due to easier to use with one hand and still a bigger display.

Agreed 100% that adoptable storage is a tech support nightmare, but more the reason a 64GB option should be offered to all consumers. My guess is most consumers that adopt the Gear VR as a media device will wish for a 64GB model soon after use. Less than 24GB of storage is too small for both a device and Gear VR app content at this point in time.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Assuming my G4 still works by then, might hold out for the Note 6 if I can. Something tells me it's going to be heck a lot better than the 5.

I'm actually using a Note 5 right now and have zero issues with it. I tend to get every major flagship every year (aside from HTC last year), so me switching to a new phone isn't usually because I'm unhappy with the current device I have. The G4 is still a solid phone. Any reason the G5 didn't appeal to you?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually using a Note 5 right now and have zero issues with it. I tend to get every major flagship every year (aside from HTC last year), so me switching to a new phone isn't usually because I'm unhappy with the current device I have. The G4 is still a solid phone. Any reason the G5 didn't appeal to you?

The G5 didn't really improve a lot. It does have the expected hardware improvements, and that modular design is cool AND also allows for a removable battery (which I really like a lot) but ultimately, it was the rest that bugged me.

The software actually regressed a bit to me. They used more white-colored elements, which I find a pain to the eyes and they killed off dual-window, which was actually significant enough to be a deal-breaker to me. Also, I can't see those modules taking off in the future. Sure, they're cool and I applaud LG for doing something different, but right now.....they just seem gimmicky to me.

It's still a great phone, don't get me wrong. It's just not a big-enough improvement to justify me upgrading to it. The S7's incremental-but-significant improvements is actually way more tempting to me.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The G5 didn't really improve a lot. It does have the expected hardware improvements, and that modular design is cool AND also allows for a removable battery (which I really like a lot) but ultimately, it was the rest that bugged me.

The software actually regressed a bit to me. They used more white-colored elements, which I find a pain to the eyes and they killed off dual-window, which was actually significant enough to be a deal-breaker to me. Also, I can't see those modules taking off in the future. Sure, they're cool and I applaud LG for doing something different, but right now.....they just seem gimmicky to me.

It's still a great phone, don't get me wrong. It's just not a big-enough improvement to justify me upgrading to it. The S7's incremental-but-significant improvements is actually way more tempting to me.

I'm not tied to one specific OEM (I even grab the new iPhone every year), but I really want LG to make a push and it sucks to see this opportunity wasted this year. It isn't so much the device itself, as the G5 manages to stand out from the crowd with the modular design, but the timing of their release/live preorders puts it at the mercy of Samsung yet again. When you stack it up directly against the S7 Edge, which is probably the better comparison from a size standpoint, it comes up short. If it was me, I would have focused on the software, kept the general design of the G4, and released it before the Galaxy line to try to undercut their sales right from the start.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not tied to one specific OEM (I even grab the new iPhone every year), but I really want LG to make a push and it sucks to see this opportunity wasted this year. It isn't so much the device itself, as the G5 manages to stand out from the crowd with the modular design, but the timing of their release/live preorders puts it at the mercy of Samsung yet again. When you stack it up directly against the S7 Edge, which is probably the better comparison from a size standpoint, it comes up short. If it was me, I would have focused on the software, kept the general design of the G4, and released it before the Galaxy line to try to undercut their sales right from the start.

Right on the money. I think LG's modular design is innovate, but I think they should focus on improving the aesthetics and putting the same build as the V10.

And I don't remember this, but when can we get the G5? The S7 is already in the stages of pre-order now, and it isn't long until those who do get theirs.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Right on the money. I think LG's modular design is innovate, but I think they should focus on improving the aesthetics and putting the same build as the V10.

And I don't remember this, but when can we get the G5? The S7 is already in the stages of pre-order now, and it isn't long until those who do get theirs.

Someone can interject if I'm wrong here, but I believe preorders are live on March 18th for the G5 with no release date announced. That's going to be a tough sell when you can go into a store on March 11th and grab an S7/S7 Edge. If I could offer one piece of advice to LG, it's to take the reigns from Motorola/Lenovo and switch their OS to stock Android. I feel like they haven't built up enough of a consumer base to alienate them by switching their OS up---not to mention they can add some of the features into it like Moto does. Quicker updates, a more streamlined experience, and faster performance.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Someone can interject if I'm wrong here, but I believe preorders are live on March 18th for the G5 with no release date announced. That's going to be a tough sell when you can go into a store on March 11th and grab an S7/S7 Edge. If I could offer one piece of advice to LG, it's to take the reigns from Motorola/Lenovo and switch their OS to stock Android. I feel like they haven't built up enough of a consumer base to alienate them by switching their OS up---not to mention they can add some of the features into it like Moto does. Quicker updates, a more streamlined experience, and faster performance.

I think they could also go the Sony route. Offer a skinned version for those who want that but also offer a software experience much more closer to stock with an optional ROM if they want to.

Because not everyone wants stock Android, so it's like hitting 2 birds with one stone.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I think they could also go the Sony route. Offer a skinned version for those who want that but also offer a software experience much more closer to stock with an optional ROM if they want to.

Because not everyone wants stock Android, so it's like hitting 2 birds with one stone.

Exactly. I think that kind of shake up would have been more profitable for them than doing a 180 with their device design/functionality.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. I think that kind of shake up would have been more profitable for them than doing a 180 with their device design/functionality.

I would actually want that. The choice between a heavily-skinned experience with lots of useful features or a lighter, more-AOSP-like experience with the performance and updates to match.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site

The size is perfect for me as I'll be coming from an iPhone six plus because my S6 always feels too small. I never got the notes because I never had a want or need for a pen. I just wish there was a s7+ version without the edge. I would have jumped on that

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
No IR blaster? Does that mean I can't use it as a remote for my TV anymore? I love that feature! And the fun I have confounding the other TV users in the house that ALWAYS HOG THE REMOTE will be sorely missed. Say it isn't so!

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The size is perfect for me as I'll be coming from an iPhone six plus because my S6 always feels too small. I never got the notes because I never had a want or need for a pen. I just wish there was a s7+ version without the edge. I would have jumped on that

There will be an S7+ version, but it'll be called the Note 6. At least that's my understanding of their strategy to this point.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I wish Samsung hadn't decide to follow iPhone and not bring back removable battery.
How do you handel phone freezing up, if you can't remove battery?

Posted from Android Central

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So my post about double blind testing gets modded out, but you can make a backhanded comment like that? Seems fair. My commentary about 32 bit audio was to I from people who are clueless about it that it should not be a make or break item for a new phone... There is no definitive testing or anything that shows 32 bit audio is superior to 16 bit lossless audio. Hell, studio mastering is done in 24 bit, and that's simply for overhead when audio engineers work with the source material.

Our ears can only hear a certain threshold of range, nothing can change that. Maybe there is a 'golden ears' human out there that can hear a difference, but the honest truth is that as long as the phone is capable of playing a good quality lossless file, thats more than enough for people.

I'm not picking a fight... I'm just giving the other side of an issue. It's only fair that someone try the same song in a lossless format against a lossy format, or even in this case do a 24 bit Vs 16 bit version.

My entire music library is in 16 bit FLAC. I cannot double blind a 16 bit FLAC against a 24 bit version of the same song, but I can against a V0 mp3 with decent consistency. I encourage you to try the same and see what happens.

Dude, I wasn't talking to you or about you. Relax.

I just get tired of people telling me what I can and can't hear based on what they can and can't hear. I sit in an office 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week. Unless I'm on a call with someone, I have a high-end audio system behind me playing music every minute. I love music. I can tell the difference. Anyone who says I can't tell the difference is lying.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc