Hey all,

I'm sick of my iPhone 6, I'm bored with my LG V10.... I'm really loving my Nexus 6p.... BUT I also want to get an S7 to play around with. I think the combo of the Nexus and the S7 would be a great pair for my daily drivers.... However, My main concern for the newest purchase is based solely on compatibility and use with GearVR.

So, I have to decide which is best for use with the GearVR - the S7 or the S7 Edge?

Now, this article pretty much spells everything out, but what are your thoughts?

Oculus's Gear VR boss: Samsung Galaxy S7 beats the S7 Edge for virtual reality | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

Thanks!

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.
    02-23-2016 06:33 PM
    Seems to make sense that the s7 would be better
    KillerQ likes this.
    02-23-2016 06:43 PM
    Would this really matter? Like would you even notice this at all? Never had a Samsung or a VR as I'm debating coming from iPhone
    02-24-2016 07:16 AM
    Would this really matter? Like would you even notice this at all? Never had a Samsung or a VR as I'm debating coming from iPhone
    Well since the display, literally, drives the HMD/experience, you want to maximize that..... Used the best combo possible.

So, it dies matter in the sense that the curved screen may crop the edge of whatever you're experiencing, etc.

02-24-2016 08:22 AM
    You and I are like phone soulmates. However I plan on getting the Gear S2 instead of the VR. Titanium silver Edge for the win.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom
    KillerQ likes this.
    02-24-2016 08:37 AM
    You and I are like phone soulmates. However I plan on getting the Gear S2 instead of the VR. Titanium silver Edge for the win.

Hahaha.

I have an Oculus Rift CV1 on the way, and I want to use the Gear VR to bridge the PC/mobile gap.... That's why I'm so interested.

02-24-2016 08:48 AM
    Hahaha.

I have an Oculus Rift CV1 on the way, and I want to use the Gear VR to bridge the PC/mobile gap.... That's why I'm so interested.

Using the Gear S2 for nursing. It's going to be awesome if I snag one when my phone comes in.

02-24-2016 09:41 AM
    Hey all,

I'm sick of my iPhone 6, I'm bored with my LG V10.... I'm really loving my Nexus 6p.... BUT I also want to get an S7 to play around with. I think the combo of the Nexus and the S7 would be a great pair for my daily drivers.... However, My main concern for the newest purchase is based solely on compatibility and use with GearVR.

So, I have to decide which is best for use with the GearVR - the S7 or the S7 Edge?

Now, this article pretty much spells everything out, but what are your thoughts?

Oculus's Gear VR boss: Samsung Galaxy S7 beats the S7 Edge for virtual reality | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

Thanks!

The promo video for the S7 edge on Verizon's website shows the S7 edge works perfectly fine with the VR: Samsung Galaxy S7 edge | Verizon Wireless
    02-24-2016 04:33 PM
    The promo video for the S7 edge on Verizon's website shows the S7 edge works perfectly fine with the VR: Samsung Galaxy S7 edge | Verizon Wireless
    Thanks.... I'm sure it's all trivial, but I have some faith in what the designer said, lol

02-24-2016 07:32 PM
    I can't see that there would be a lot of difference between how it works with the VR headset and how my Edge Plus works with it. And using my edge plus on the VR headset is just an amazing experience.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-25-2016 07:23 AM
    Here is my observation, being a "veteran" of the Note 4 and Gear VR since launch..... FWIW.

The Note 4's field of view is too close, so results in the pentile display having a fairly pronounced dot look. The new Gear VR with the S6 corrected this with a slightly further back field of view and smaller display. You lose some field of view, but the image looks better. The Note 4 and the lens set-up should have been about 10% further back.

A decent perspective is the Note 4 Gear VR is like sitting in the front few rows and the newer Gear and devices are like sitting a few rows further back. It makes a difference in a good way. Unless you like first few front rows.

I think both the S7 and Edge would have less of the dot effect from the pentiles. AKA "screen door" effect. The Note 4 is still fun to use with it, but IF the S7 Edge had a 64GB option, I would bail on the Note 4 Gear VR.

Either would be a win IMO, but placing my bet on living on the Edge. Even though not buying one unless a 64GB happens. Probably not happening though.
    02-25-2016 07:51 AM
    Here is my observation, being a "veteran" of the Note 4 and Gear VR since launch..... FWIW.

The Note 4's field of view is too close, so results in the pentile display having a fairly pronounced dot look. The new Gear VR with the S6 corrected this with a slightly further back field of view and smaller display. You lose some field of view, but the image looks better. The Note 4 and the lens set-up should have been about 10% further back.

A decent perspective is the Note 4 Gear VR is like sitting in the front few rows and the newer Gear and devices are like sitting a few rows further back. It makes a difference in a good way. Unless you like first few front rows.

I think both the S7 and Edge would have less of the dot effect from the pentiles. AKA "screen door" effect. The Note 4 is still fun to use with it, but IF the S7 Edge had a 64GB option, I would bail on the Note 4 Gear VR.

Either would be a win IMO, but placing my bet on living on the Edge. Even though not buying one unless a 64GB happens. Probably not happening though.
    Thanks for your input.... My main concern is if the curved portion of the screen with be lost in the HMD since it's not directly facing the lenses... Or of that part of the screen would even come into play.

The fact that the main Samsung guy chose the non-edge S7 to be the best match, but without giving specific details, is frustrating.... Lol

02-25-2016 11:08 AM
    I've ordered the S7 Edge, they may be tiny advantages with VR and the non edge version, but I honestly believe this will be minimal, and not the kind of thing that will make me dislike or want to return the phone
    02-26-2016 08:00 PM
    I've ordered the S7 Edge, they may be tiny advantages with VR and the non edge version, but I honestly believe this will be minimal, and not the kind of thing that will make me dislike or want to return the phone
    Good point

02-27-2016 02:24 PM
    When I checked the s7 out at best buy the other day, the Samsung rep was demoing the VR. I asked him which was best and he said he compared and didn't notice a difference. He then put his s7 edge in the VR and I couldn't tell from the standard s7....but I'm new to this whole VR thing.

02-27-2016 04:31 PM
    When I checked the s7 out at best buy the other day, the Samsung rep was demoing the VR. I asked him which was best and he said he compared and didn't notice a difference. He then put his s7 edge in the VR and I couldn't tell from the standard s7....but I'm new to this whole VR thing.

Wouldn't the bigger screen of the edge be better for VR?

Posted via my LG G4
    02-27-2016 04:42 PM
    I had heard about more light leaking in with the Edge but hadn't considered how the actual curve of the screen could impact your experience.
    02-27-2016 04:45 PM
    Wouldn't the bigger screen of the edge be better for VR?

Posted via my LG G4
    Theoretically, yes, but in this case, No, because the optics stop at a certain size.... Anything past a certain size is cropped.

It may not be extreme in the S7/S7 Edge scenario, but for example, if content on an HMD is maximized for the optics at 5.1", it would look perfect on the S7, but some content would be clipped on a 6" Nexus.

02-27-2016 09:00 PM
    After some digging, I discovered that the S7 has a better ppi rating than the S7 edge, so that will be my deciding factor.

02-29-2016 05:21 PM